• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mirrorless Digital Camera

drfood

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Darrell
Last Name
Gerdes
We are investigating going to a mirrorless camera to take on our long distance motorcycle trips rather than taking the bulky D90. Still want the option of having changeable lenses vs a point-n-shoot w/built-in zoom (we take one of those as well).

Been reading online about the option and looking at folks results from various models. The key is we want/need to stay below $1000 total out the door tax title license.

The camera that strikes us so far as being the "best" for us is either the Sony A6000 or the Sony A6300.

Would prefer a "full frame" but it doesn't look like the under $1000 goal is an option there.

Any thoughts/suggestions/advice?

Thanks.

I can't provide any advise about the Sony models.

However, I can tell you that for four years I've been using micro 4/3rds cameras from Panasonic and Olympus and have been really, really pleased with them. Like you, I wanted a smaller body/system to carry on the bike but didn't want to give up the advantages of changeable lens or image quality. The micro 4/3rds units have been the cat's meow for me.

While I can't offer any advise on the Sony units, the purpose of my post is to let you know that, at least for me, going to a mirorless compact on the motorcycle and as a travel camera has been a wonderful choice.

Last edited:
Friend Sean has a Sony A6000, and his shots rival those of Scott and Rusty in the Wild Animal category. Extremely fast and sharp, with fine lens quality.

I picked up a Canon M5 in December. Simple adapter and I can use all my good glass, plus we got it with a native 18-150mm (or is it 17-150?) lens as a walking around lens. My wife uses it mainly.

Part of the logic was using the same lenses, but that isn't draw for you. Price with lens was over your budget by $400 too.

In your case, the Sonys would be very interesting to me.

We're not married to Nikon or Sony or any brand. What we're looking for is a camera/lens that will give us good quality photos with minimal pain in the patootey that the DSLR is on rides.

We've seen a lot of riders on ADVRider that use the Sony A6000 and the images are insanely beautiful given the "inexpensive" camera relative to a DSLR.

We love the D90 and what it does for us, but like I said it's such a pain to carry on rides.

I am hoping folks on here would weigh in with their opinions and experiences....and even some images.

Jeanne has a Sony NX6 which predates the A6000. It takes great picts. The lens is larger than the camera body which takes some getting used to. She has several lenses but has settled into one zoom whose designation escapes me right now. However I will note like Scott & Rusty, she hasn't caught a picture of a ring tail cat yet.

I picked up an Olympus OM-D E-M10II in December 2015 and haven't used my DSLR since. I'm not a pro photog or aspire to be. It's a great format that produces excellent pics for my needs. I'm not blowing up poster size photos either (that a full frame sensor would be better at). Much better than a P&S or cell phone for image quality. My camera with the 12-40 PRO lens easily fits in the Wolfman Enduro tank bag (it's small) on my Suzuki DR650. My DSLR is a Sony and I intended to go with the A6000 until I picked up the Olympus.

Back