• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

new member trying to use sight

Reaction score
Hello I'm wannaventure...I recently purchased a 2001 BMW r1150GS
I live in the San Antonio area.... I've done several local rides listed on the web.... Devils Backbone, Purgatory road, Some of 3 Sisters, the area around Sisterdale up to Enchanted Rock, etc.... They're all nice, but are more cruiser type rides.
I'm interested in rides more appropriate for my bike.... unpaved, rougher roads, some trail riding etc.... my bike is too big & heavy for serious off road.
any suggestions? Possible group rides?
Also, I'm not sure if I'm doing this right...any help would be appreciated...

Bienvenido Al Foro (welcome to the site) :sun:

Check out the...

Texas Dual Sport Riding subforum :rider:

Upcoming Rides, Trips, and Events subforum :rider:

Texas Adventure Riders Association subforum :rider:

And there's more

You'll find a wealth of knowledge out there on the type of riding you seek, but the best way to truly mine the knowledge base here is to come to an event, make friends, and start your own "network" of reference buddies.

:tab Wow, this was me 15 years ago when I got my first DS bike, an 02 1150 GS!

:tab Welcome to TWT! :wave:

:tab Unless you are already an experienced dirt rider, I would strongly suggest taking a good class oriented toward adventure/dirt riding (here, here too, and here as well). It may save you some serious medical expenses! I absolutely loved my 1150 GS and had some great adventures on it, but I learned some bad habits to cope with its heft and my lack of proper skills. After going through the school of hard rocks, I finally started developing better skills and moving toward lighter bikes, which coincidentally helps with developing better skills :doh: Anyway, I now have an 07 1200 GS and a KTM 530 EXC. I still take the GS on dirt stuff appropriate for its size and save the KTM for the really serious stuff. I am also much more relaxed and confident on the GS now than I was then, but that is what made it so exciting much of the time back then :eek2: :lol2: Oh, and if you take the GS off the pavement, a set of TKC 80s, or maybe Shinko 805/804 tires makes a HUGE difference in how the bike will handle in loose stuff, especially in sand!!

:tab By the way, this thread is worthless without pics :-P (see here to learn how to post pics)

I am also much more relaxed and confident on the GS now than I was then, but that is what made it so exciting much of the time back then :eek2: :lol2:

It would be at this point that someone would post the infamous photo of Tourmeister squatting next to his bike that is resting upside down. :trust:

PS. Welcome to TWT.

Back