• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KLR650 problems

The first thing is to do a compression test yourself. If it is like they say, low compression, I would check the valves. A tight valve could result in bad compression. I didn't notice anywhere that you said how many miles it had on it. I agree with Moezaki, if you have under 30,000 or 40,000 miles, I would be very suspicious of a top end problem diagnosis. Unless you have one of the 2008 engines that Kawasaki messed with (like I had), these engines are pretty much bullet proof.

I don't know what the shop is saying they are going to charge you for their labor so far, but if you parted out the KLR, there should be enough there to pay for the shop costs and may be get a little more.

I'm still deciding what to do. Not familiar with the 685 and how much work that would entail... and if it's even worth it on a 12 year old bike.
I owe the shop $170 so far for having it towed there and looked at. Anyone who is interested in buying shoot me a PM with offer. The worst I can do is say no.

My KLR engine seized in Alaska last week and I was suspicious when the shop told me there was bottom end damage....until I drove up there and saw this.
636bfcce-e018-056b.jpg

I'd expected bottom end damage if an engine seized. Especially if it seized suddenly. Even if it were a valve dropping, the bottom would still have to be gone through to check for main bearing damage.

What i wouldn't expect is a bike that basically runs has no compression. It doesn't match. Compression is required for it to run. It's not a multicylinder where a strong cylinder can "help" a weak one.

"No compression" is also a weak diagnosis. They should be coming back with "X is broke". They are just giving another sympton. They still haven't told him the problem. Imagine if the shop in Alaska told you that your KLR wasn't getting any compression. Does that sound like an adequate diagnosis? Wouldn't you wonder why?

Which makes me wonder about a $1500 quote. For what? Do they know what's broke, or are they just gonna change everything and cross their fingers? That's either a lot of parts or a lot of labor. Hopefully it's parts because tearing down a KLR doesn't take that long. Especially in shop set up for it.

I'm still deciding what to do. Not familiar with the 685 and how much work that would entail... and if it's even worth it on a 12 year old bike.
I owe the shop $170 so far for having it towed there and looked at. Anyone who is interested in buying shoot me a PM with offer. The worst I can do is say no.

I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner. I could have figured it out for you and got it going for a lot less than a Dealer wold have charged you. Even if it did have a blown head gasket.

I do a lot of work on KLR's for the local guys. My shop is located in Rhome TX.
I'm retired so I work cheap. I just hate to see a KLR Owner get burned!

Curtis

Hey all,

Posting this around:

"Can you post on adv for us the following.....has anyone removed and replaced the rear upper balancer shaft bearing on the alternator side of a 2008 KLR 650..
.without splitting the engine...can it be removed with a pilot bearing puller

Cheers in crisis mode!!!!!"

These are friends I've ridden with in Mexico and hosted here in Austin. Very nice Aussie couple. He's an actual mechanic just needing some input from the KLR crowd. They're in the US preparing to go home soon.

Thanks in advance.

Back