• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ironman Texas Moto Volunteers

Reaction score
Forwarding info for those interested...

Peter,

Ironman needs help again this year if you know of anyone who could volunteer 5-8 motos needed. They will provide a $50 gift card for helping out.

Date: April 16, 2017 at 11:05:06 AM CDT
To: Jerry Matson <jerrym100@gmail.com>
Subject: 2017 Ironman Texas in The Woodlands - The Race Is ON! - Saturday, Apr 22

Greetings everyone!

One week to go to the national championship Ironman competition in The Woodlands! This is a huge event for The Woodlands and all of Houston! There are thousands of competitors
coming in from all over the world to compete. And there are many professional race officials who are also flying in who depend on us to carry them through the bicycle course to keep the competition honest and fair.

A lot of information here - please read it carefully and read it twice!

I am depending on you now to have your bike ready and show up NLT 6:30 am on Saturday (the roads will be closed shortly after that). I expect to be there about 6 am.
If something has come up and you can't make it please let me know, as many of my regular riders have dropped out (about 5 because they are competing!). So I am about 6-8 bikes short right now for media people (officials take priority). If you have any friends
who might be available please forward this email to them and let me know!

I would advise that if you have panniers/side cases that you leave them at home. We will be in tight traffic occasionally and anything you can do to narrow your profile
would be better. If you are traveling some distance and would like to have them it is possible to leave them at a nearby volunteer station. No guarantee of security but those people can watch them and keep them out of sight. If you have a rear or top case
bring that, and if you have an extra helmet you might bring that as well (some officials might not have their own).

Here is a

course map PDF link so you can see the bicycle course. We will travel around The Woodlands a little before we head down the Hardy Toll Road. On the return trip we will turn around and head back south a second time (the route map is confusing that about
that).

Ensure you arrive with enough fuel for 112 miles on the bicycle course! Once you arrive at the HEB there will be no opportunity to get gas as the place will shut down
for security and thousands of spectators filling the streets.

For GPS or navigating purposes the location you want to navigate to is Town Green Park, 2099 Lake Robbins Dr, The Woodlands, TX 77380 (Google
Map). You probably won't see the park so look for the entrance to the HEB grocery store. We will gather in the median of Lake Robbins Drive there. The area is large so park with plenty of space between bikes and with enough room to your front to pull out
and around other bikes if your official or photog needs an earlier start.

Tasks we need to get done in the 45 minutes or so before the bicycles start:

- Someone will be there to take cell phone pics of our drivers
licenses and insurance cards. Please have them available efficiently.

- Issue t-shirts
- Issue $50 gas cards (thank you!)
- Safety briefing by head official
- Pairing of official/media person

It can be a chaotic short time when we get together. And once we start we probably won't have an opportunity to meet again. If you have any issues on the course look
for emergency personnel and notify them. If you are not directly involved in an incident continue your mission! You don't need to stop and assist as they have extensive plans and preparations to handle anything. I will send out an "after action review" survey
to collect your comments and experiences. Last year I forwarded your comments about the course to the race director and they were instrumental in getting that course changed!

A final note. Your volunteer commitment is for the bicycle race. I have heard of some media people asking their motorcycle driver to shuttle them around to various places
after the bicycle part of the race. That is not required and really is above and beyond. They do not want motorcycles on or near the marathon course! You can help if you want but there is no expectation from me or the Ironman volunteer organization.

I really appreciate you stepping up to volunteer! This is a strange task in that I don't know most of you, have never met you, but we will get together for about 45 minutes
and then separate for the race and not see each other until next year. Many of you I won't even have a brief conversation with! But we are an extremely important function in the overall competition that absolutely has to happen with no errors. So once again
my thanks and know that the Ironman organization and all the competitors also appreciate our efforts.

Don't hesitate to call me if you have any questions. Ensure you add me as a contact on your phone in case you need to contact me on Saturday. Also know that I have a
helmet headset and can receive calls on the course.

Jerry Matson
2017 "Moto Captain"
Motorcycle Volunteer Coordinator

281-826-2098

On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 11:13 AM, Jerry Matson <jerrym100@gmail.com> wrote:
Greetings to all my motorcycle volunteers!

I have sent a couple of early warning emails about the Ironman Texas
competition on Sat, Apr 22 and now it is time to commit! If you are seeing this email you have ridden with us in the event before, or I have recently found your contact information and I am inviting you to join us, or perhaps a friend has forwarded this to
you.

If this is new for you here is a quick summary. An Ironman competition
is an extreme endurance race consisting of a 2.4 mile swim, a 112 mile bicycle ride, followed by a full 26.2 mile run. Our role is to ride race officials and professional photographers during the bicycle part of the race.

What that means is you need to arrive at the starting point in The Woodlands
no later than 6:30 am on Saturday morning ready to ride 112 miles. We will have about an hour to get organized before the competitors finish their swim and start the bicycle part of their race. That will take about 3-4 hours, so you can expect to be done around
11 am or noon.

If you rode with us last year this is a different course (THANK GOODNESS!!).
This course will snake around The Woodlands and then run down the Hardy Toll Road and back a couple of times (2 loops) before finishing again in The Woodlands. Here is a link to the route map (Ironman
Texas Bicycle Course PDF).

It is exciting to be a part of it and very satisfying to help our local
community support a national event like this!

So once again, like previous years, we need to
go through the formality of signing up as
volunteers with the parent
organization, the World Triathlon Corporation (WTC). In addition to letting the staff know you intent to volunteer for the race is also means accepting their waiver and release form. In a nutshell the WTC promises that the competitors and
volunteers won't sue them
or each other. And since you may potentially be in national photo publications or on TV you also give up any rights to your image (such as it may be with a helmet on!).

I also need to have your commitment and information. Most of you did this last year I probably have your info,
but I am starting a new spreadsheet for this year so please take just a quick minute and fill out my simple Google Form. It really helps me keep track of everyone and match you up with your preferred rider (if you have a preference). I do the same thing for
the race officials so I can match you up.

Finally, do not send me your drivers license and insurance card as we have done in the past. Now the WTC wants
to have someone there Saturday morning to collect it. So there will be a dedicated volunteer who will most likely use a cell phone to just take photos of our documents (my guess, how else would they do it?). Not a big deal but it removes a task for me to collect
and resend all that info.

So here are the references. The first is the registration link to the WTC formal registration website. The second
is for my simple Google Form to put you in my spreadsheet.

1)

Ironman Texas Volunteer Registration Form - Note: scroll waaaaay down to "Motos" on Apr 22.
2) Jerry's

2017 Ironman Motorcycle Volunteers Signup Form

I will follow up in a few weeks with more info as we get closer. Don't hesitate to write to me if you have any questions at all. Also
if you did not ride last year let me know and I can provide you more info about the experience. Here is the official website for the race with a pretty cool video about the experience for the competitors and volunteers.

IRONMAN NORTH AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIP TEXAS

Thanks again for volunteering and I look forward to seeing you on Saturday morning!

Jerry Matson
2017 "Moto Captain"
Motorcycle Volunteer Coordinator
281-826-2098

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard there was a heart attack or something related to one of the swimmers in this race on the news this evening. I think it was his 7th. Iron Man.

icon_shrug.gif

RB

Back