• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Carburetor balancing

Be interested to know how it works out. I'm a digital guy, but for stuff like that, if it moves too fast or isn't responsive enough, it's hard to use. One of those places, like a tach, where analog is sometimes better. Looking forward to a real world review though.

Received the unit last week. Work schedule prevented playing with the new toy until today.
Aside from the usual difficulties with fitting fat hands into small spaces to attach the hoses, all went well. Exceedingly well.

My unit came in a tupperware container with 6 hoses about 24 inches in length.
One end of each hose is open, to fit on the carb vacuum ports while the other has a twist lock fitting to attach to the short hose attached to the unit itself.
This makes routing and connecting the hoses to the carb ports very simple since one does not have to fight the entire unit with each hose.

Also included are spare twist lock connectors to replace any damaged or worn connectors.

Once connected, switching on the unit enters the calibration more, and the unit self checks, reporting any port difference readings and giving a final pass/fail indication. After that, crank the bike and begin the process.

Noteworthy is the lack of bounce in the unit: there's a damper circuit in each port so readings are steady, making corrections a breeze. Given the slight lag between adjustment and display, it takes about 1 second for the screen to update but the time between adjustments isn't really effected since there is no "bounce" to have to interpret.

Actual balancing took less than 3 minutes on my 4 carb Voyager once I was able to get to the actual carbs.
Total time on the job from start to end of balance was only 20 minutes, with about another 10 minutes remaining to replace all the hardware and seal up the bike.

Having balanced with carb sticks in previous years, I would have to say that the DigiSync is worth more than I paid for it. And having been quoted $250.00 from a shop that would take the bike to do this job, the unit is already paid for and in an equity position, as my broker would say.
Worth the money.

Thanks for the followup. This is what I was most concerned about with this type of unit:

Noteworthy is the lack of bounce in the unit: there's a damper circuit in each port so readings are steady, making corrections a breeze. Given the slight lag between adjustment and display, it takes about 1 second for the screen to update but the time between adjustments isn't really effected since there is no "bounce" to have to interpret.

Happy to hear it all works as advertised. Now we need video! :D

We can sync throttle bodies. None of the rest of my carbs can be sync'd. Well, I mean maybe they can, but some of them would run like crap I bet.

IMG_0006.jpg

Back