• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Offroad sticker funds

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
Not sure how I feel about the 16 dollar x 3 bikes that I have to purchase giving almost 400,000 to a private club I can't use. Did not know it worked that way. This was copied from AMA mag. Thoughts?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1533852155809.jpg
    FB_IMG_1533852155809.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 182
Not sure how I feel about the 16 dollar x 3 bikes that I have to purchase giving almost 400,000 to a private club I can't use. Did not know it worked that way. This was copied from AMA mag. Thoughts?

My thoughts; crock; rip-off, cronism. That money should be used only for public access OHV. Now I don't feel so bad buying only one sticker and moving it from bike to bike.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

I'm not sure our OHV stickers paid for that trail improvement. The article states that TPWD was using a portion of the federal funds it has to distribute.

Good catch, still going to private property that doesn't do me squat. For 400,000 I could buy a parcel of land and put in 10 miles of trail.

From the Waco Trib, whatever that's worth. It's a pretty cool story. Full disclosure, I was a member way back in the mid 80's.

[copy]/
The grants are funded from a portion of the federal gas tax generated by gasoline purchases for off-road motorcycles and four-wheelers, Lightfoot said. Of the total, 30 percent must be earmarked for motorized recreational trails, 30 percent must be spent on non-motorized trail projects, and the remaining 40 percent is discretionary.
/[paste]

https://www.wacotrib.com/news/nonpr...cle_6408c903-7603-54a0-9af5-ec8178f4d517.html

Thanks for the article. Still seems weird to private property and that's a ton of money for a little 10 mile trail. Plus what I read said 3 miles. 400,000 ought to maintain it just fine.

That is the some BS right that there. This state needs more public access. One of the largest states in America and has the least amount of public lands and trails. Let alone OHV areas or Multi-use trails. I could use the land for 125 bucks a year to be a member, but I really don't like tracks and its a bit farther than I want to drive. Plenty of closer MX tracks to me. Plenty of better places to give the money to that are not private.

How about more places like Barnwell, Canadian River or lake Mckenzie? There is also Ozona, but I really don't think they are open all that much. All are very far from me with the exception of Barnwell, but from Huntsville... way far. The place that needs the funding most is the SHNF which is close to Huntsville. Even at that its 3 to 3.5 for me each way to the forest. Its usually closed and right now... stupid hot!

Last edited:
Well I agree with all of the sentiment that this money needs to go to public lands. Sadly Texas has little in that we were ahead of the curve in privatizing stuff a century ago. Anyway, I don't begrudge the Waco Eagles for pulling it together.

I'm pretty tapped out for time right now, but if a bunch wanted to get together and try to get funds for some other riding resource I'd be willing to throw some time at it. Since 2012 I've been following District 37 and they have a lot of people working on land use. Sure Southern California has a lot of BLM land, but I don't see any organized effort except for Old Dudes On Dirt Bikes trying to keep public trails operational.

If I were closer I'd be one of the old dudes on dirt bikes. No local trails here to work unless you want to work MTB trails. Plenty of that here..... just none for dirt bikes.

Back