• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

THE TWTex XR400 Thread.

thrill-billy85

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
What started as a build thread, surrendered to the masses for all your XR4 banter. Lots of good info here!

*Fork seal how to-------- pg 4
*Powder coating-------- pg 8
*Ground up resto-------- pg 1-30+
*Cylinder head porting-------- pg 6
*CF tank cover--------- pg 12.
*Heat emissivity (disappation)-------- pg 8

Future posts-
Wheel lacing/truing
Top end how-to
Valve adjustment
DC circuitry (lights, horn, brake lights, battery)

So I had started with a KLX300, AFTER riding it a bit, I realize that was a terrible choice. Then, I realize the motor is a ticking time bomb, and a rebuild x2 ensues. (See KLX300 CARNAGE thread) http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1326999#post1326999

So I sell the KLX, and then this-

I was torn between an xr4, and a 650l. I like the idea of a 650l because I could hop on, ride to Arkansas, ride trails all weekend, and ride home. Well... Kinda.

I like the xr4 because of the weight, power, looks, and the abundance of cheap aftermarket goodies. Some may argue the aftermarket for the 650l is just as good, but I say they're wrong. If you're one of those, say so, and I'll prove you wrong. .

So the question rises- what about the road manners? Well the xr400 can have them with the right combination of gearing, and motor. How much lighter, and better handling can you make a 650l? Idk but I know the xr4 in stock form is great for trails, fire roads, and logging roads.

I looked at what the majority of riding would be for me. It'd catch the most miles hauling me to work. I take a series of county roads for the 12 miles to work, with the exception of TX-64, just outside Tyler for about a mile and a half. The fastest I can legally go at any point is 55mph. The rest of it, will be exploring the VAST network of county roads, (most dirt) and trails that stretches all over Henderson county, and literally starts (for me) across the street. If I wanna take a trip to Arkansas and go exploring, the bike (be it an xr4, or an xrl) is going in the bed of my pickup, until I at least get to a motel, and what I'll describe as the center of the web of trails/roads to explore. I'm not gonna ride a dortbike all the way there, 650l or not. So.... Xr4 it is.

I've been searching for both for some time. Found some great deals, some insane deals, and also some head-scratchers. Why got me psyched about an XR was this one xr4 a dude brought to my shop for me to fix. The exchange went like this (in a nutshell)- (M-me/H-him)
M- Cool bike, what's wrong with it?
H- It won't start, I'm pretty sure its the carb
M- Okay, I'll check it out
(Testing, no spark, troubleshoot, bad coil)
M- Hey bro, your coil is bad
H- How much is it?
M- $30 for the coil, $20 to install
H- OK, I'll just come get it
M- OK
(2 weeks later on phone)
H- Man you sure its not the carb
M- Yes, its the coil, I tested it per the clymer book
H- Okay

So today I see it on craigslist for $1000. Still won't start. The new owner is at a loss, and just wants as much money back out of it as he can get. So I call him. He explains it doesn't have a spark, he bought it from a guy that couldn't figure it out. The guy replaced the stator, cdi, and put an XRs only mikuni pumper carb on it. I said okay... I'll come get it. (Already sold the KLX for 1500) go over, pay the guy a grand, he loads it up, and boom. I'm the proud owner of a Honda Xr400r, pumper carb and all. The carb has 0 run time, and isn't even installed correctly. Funny thing... The bike STILL DOESNT HAVE A NEW COIL ON IT. Its a 40 Honda part, 20 on eBay. Instead its got $400 in electronics, and $400 in brand new pumper carb. I bought the rest of the bike for 200. Lol

Build thread starting immediately following this important announcement.

IMG_20150216_201005591_zpsjpmjmtxv.jpg

IMG_20150216_201016371_zps7ftq4guy.jpg

IMG_20150216_201046731_zpseuvfr5cp.jpg

IMG_20150216_201137849_HDR_zpsslxfu6sn.jpg

So work begins at the start of my weekend... Lucky for you guys, MY weekend starts tomorrow afternoon. Stay tuned, any advice, tips, FEEL FREE to interject.

Last edited:
Re: XR4 Repair/build/DS thread

Great looking XR!!! I had one a while back. Solid bike, with tractor like torque. You almost can't stall it haha. It doesn't love to jump though, which is why I sold and got got a more
MX type bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, but didn't you just sell that one too??? What's next for you?

Mods- if this thread would be happier in the projects forum, feel free to transplant it, and delete this post

Yeah, but didn't you just sell that one too??? What's next for you?

Yeah sadly I sold the KTM. :(
What's next? A remodeled kitchen (as soon as I finish the bathroom). Hopefully I'll have a new set of dirt wheels not too far in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pshhh.... Have fun riding your kitchen sink ;-)

No wait... Here's the "remodeled" kitchen you need---

IMG_20150217_075234_zpsmmu4afyq.jpg

Hey! Does the 400 run with the new coil? Ha! :rofl:

So I got a new coil, and I also got the new plug boot, as I understand they commonly have faults. Something about a built in resistor. Anyways I get home, and tear into the thing. Lots of well done krylon, but still... Its krylon. I'm more of a powder coat kind of guy myself, mainly because I've got a PC gun and a dedicated oven.

Little further digging reveals some DIY BS wiring. Little further... It has no air filter. And no auto decompression cable or lever. And Tue subframe is cracked... But... Its got a brand new pumper carb.

Anyways the goal is a street legal, bulletproof trail monster. Its gonna need provisions for DC wiring, and a battery (small ballistic). I'm picky about wiring, so I'm gonna build a new harness. The fact that its missing an air filter worries me. I don't like the silver krylon on the graphite metallic frame.

Folks... I'm tearing her down!
IMG_20150217_180044500_zps1nawp38f.jpg

IMG_20150217_180131097_zpshzmrecve.jpg

IMG_20150217_180100324_zps1cweyypt.jpg

IMG_20150217_171541049_zpsltmgey7v.jpg

Last edited:

If it has an aftermarket cam you often find some owners pull
Those items, the decompression items not the air filter

Any obvious markings on the cams to help me differentiate?

check Hot Cams website and install instructions, I am out of town so I can't check my old cam paperwork

How are those? They were apparently a waste of money in the KLX. I'm kinda seeing other things with the xr4, however.

What else?

I had a pumper carb on mine, thermal coated piston, FMF exhaust, upgraded rear shock and fork springs from the old Scott Summers program, I should have never sold it but I was just not riding it much as I prefered my 2stroke on tight technical stuff like Hidden Falls

Now that its gone I miss it

I had a pumper carb on mine, thermal coated piston, FMF exhaust, upgraded rear shock and fork springs from the old Scott Summers program, I should have never sold it but I was just not riding it much as I prefered my 2stroke on tight technical stuff like Hidden Falls

Now that its gone I miss it

Gotta love hidden falls on a 250/2

IMG_20482315064298_zpsghan3wqx.jpg

Big day today. This bike at some point was attacked by a can of silver krylon. One of the better krylon job I've seen, but still crap. Anyways, I needed to rebuildy bike stand too. Apparently 3" Sheetrock screws are not quite enough for the design I've got. The next series of pics are just of over spray, preceded by my new bike stand.
IMG_20150218_125004973_zps8msxorgu.jpg

IMG_20150218_125019989_zpsc2yp8p8s.jpg

IMG_20150218_104919722_zpsx6ardttq.jpg

IMG_20150218_104916136_HDR_zpssmujvnra.jpg

IMG_20150218_104958462_HDR_zpsk0wrz2hq.jpg

IMG_20150218_104932181_zpshgowmkdt.jpg

IMG_20150218_105005799_zpscpwiiv1n.jpg

IMG_20150218_104903470_zps2hmfen6y.jpg

Anyways, y'all get the point. So I checked the CS splines. Perfect shape
IMG_20150218_115007261_HDR_zpsrkarht57.jpg

Take the intake boot off and find this. There's a lot of crud inside where the o-ring sits on the face on the intake port from PO not thinking a $7 air filter was important.

IMG_20150218_141117009_HDR_zpss948a8tg.jpg

And them this.... Exactly how i found it. SAE bolts and all. Lol
IMG_20150218_104938610_zpsnlhlzv97.jpg

Anyways, I get this thing down to frame, swingarm, and motor.... If I can't get that **** swingarm pivot bolt out, then I'm kind of up the creek in regards to changing swing arm bearings, and properly painting the frame. I HATE using the BFH (big f****** hammer) method to get a bolt free, but sometimes you gotta do what is necessary.

Anyways- you can also see where the silver krylon stops, and the regular frame paint starts in places. Looks crappy

IMG_20150218_143712886_zpsanv526ng.jpg

IMG_20150218_143707975_zps7jdcujdy.jpg

Eureaka!!!! I used an 18" 1/4 extension and let's that swing a pivot bolt have it.... But not before applying a liberal amount of PB blaster. Actually, it shot right out. Haha
IMG_20150218_145312445_zpsp0i0ck0b.jpg

IMG_20150218_151047782_zps5ulba2ds.jpg

Tomorrow's journey. The PLAN is to get the misses in the shop and see what she's made of. Supposed to be gorgeous tomorrow, so keep yalls fingers crossed. Haha.
IMG_20150218_151033798_zpsgmul9iek.jpg

Yeah, and I've got parts everywhere, but I keep it moderately organized.
IMG_20150218_151551410_zpsrjxor84k.jpg

IMG_20150218_151535470_zpsaf0zdgf0.jpg

Okay, so basically what I'm gonna do, once I get the frame painted, and the subby beefed up and painted, in gonna basically move down the line. "Okay, today I'm working on the..... Triple clamps". Clean them up, polish or sand blast, whatever I decide to do, on to the finished parts shelf. Next day- "okay today I'm working on the.... Forks"... Take them apart, clean em up, change fork seals and oil, installed new springs, etc, put them on the finished parts shelf.

I'm very effective when I work like this. Once the 'needs work' shelf is empty, and the 'finished parts shelf is full, I put it all back together. Sometimes I'll finish a part and install rather than putting it on the shelf... Just depends. Each part will likely be a separate post.

Nice!

As far a cams go, I have read bad things about Hotcams, I'm gonna send my OEM cam to Cycle Wizard it get an HRC copy, or a Mega Cycle one, but most likely a Cycle Wizard regind to keep the auto decompress for thr BRP.

Why not send the rear shock off to be revalved too? I would like to my my XRL some day, but gonna do the engine first. I decided yesterday, after a short ride on the beach that I DO want to make my plans come true.

Sent from a pay phone

Nice!

As far a cams go, I have read bad things about Hotcams, I'm gonna send my OEM cam to Cycle Wizard it get an HRC copy, or a Mega Cycle one, but most likely a Cycle Wizard regind to keep the auto decompress for thr BRP.

Why not send the rear shock off to be revalved too? I would like to my my XRL some day, but gonna do the engine first. I decided yesterday, after a short ride on the beach that I DO want to make my plans come true.

Sent from a pay phone

Plans come true.. You mean the 100mm piston, and nx 2nd and 5th

What are the deets on the ATV in the background?

Its a Kawasaki brute force (broke force) 750, that smoked both big end rod bearings, after breaking the oil pump, after the owners DIY snorkel failed miserably. Those engines suck anyways.

Its a Kawasaki brute force (broke force) 750, that smoked both big end rod bearings, after breaking the oil pump, after the owners DIY snorkel failed miserably. Those engines suck anyways.

haha now that sounds like a fun project
I've seen guy submarine those things, and ride them out of the water and just start revving them to the moon with thick smoke and water shooting out the exhaust.
there are many in that mud-bog ATV crowd that ain't got much sense. :doh:
Don't get me wrong, I love riding quads, sport quarts and the big utility quads, but there's a bunch out there (especially east texas :rofl: ) that give the responsible riders a really bad name.

Hillbilly heaven out here. I make so much extra $ off these guys running their ATV through creeks and ponds. That and flipping ATVs is kind of a cash cow for me and a buddy. Xmas time comes and ol bubba joe-john needs some extra cash, sells his 2008 can-am renegade that's never had an oil change, and is knocking for $1000. Another $1000 in parts and I turn around and sell it for $6000 around tax time to billy-bob.

I didn't do one myself this year, but my buddy had me fix a 2013 Arctic Cat MudPro he picked up for $2500 that was "running hot"

The radiator was completely packed with mud. Cleaned it out, changed the oil and filter, detailed it, and now he's trading it for a 2012 HD V-rod with 3900 miles.

Back