• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

7/22 Lets Try This Again!

Reaction score
OK, since the 7/15 ride got rained out, we'll try again on the 22nd. Same plan as last time. Hopefully most of the folks signed up for the last one can make it.

We'll meet at Waverly House in New Waverly, have breakfast, and head out. Breakfast at 8, stands up by 9.

This route is primarily off pavement with pavement connector sections. Surfaces vary between gravel, dirt and sand, with everything from freshly graded to fairly rutted. There are 2 creek crossings. There is also a fair amount of shade. Total distance is approximately 170 miles.

There's more than one gas stop along the way. I'm not sure of the exact distance, but let me know if you have a really short range, and I'll figure it out.

Parking at Waverly House is a little limited. Those with trailers may well want to consider parking them at the SHNF HQ building a few miles down 1375 from New Waverly. They have a large parking lot that is usually empty.

The route is big bike friendly, but we'll be going at reasonable speeds so everyone can come. I wait at turns and have a policy of making sure the guy behind you knows which way you went through an intersection. No man left behind!

In:

1) William Wolfen
2) MaxGS (MH)
3) Polk540 (MH)
4) Old Dude on a Dirt Bike #1
5) Old Dude on a Dirt Bike #2
6) Old Dude on a Dirt Bike #3

Last edited:
Well guys, bad news. I had as crash this morning in the parking lot not a minute from home. I had a truck start veering in to what amounts to my lane. I went to turn out of the way and my wet front tire decided it wasn't happening. Got the full force of gravity on my right side.

End result? Broken heel bone. 6 weeks no weight on my right foot. It'll probably be October before I'm really riding again.

We'll do it for real when I'm healed!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Well guys, bad news. I had as crash this morning in the parking lot not a minute from home. I had a truck start being in to whay amounts to my lane. I went to turn it off the way and my wet front toe decided it wasn't happening. Got the full force of gravity on my right side.

End result? Broken heel bone. 6 weeks no weight on my right foot. It'll probably be October before I'm really riding again.

We'll do it for real when I'm healed!

Really sorry to hear that, glad it wasn't worse as they say.

Might be a good thing, lol, I went and rode the first 15 miles to the "first test section". I consider this ride to have 4 significant test sections if conditions are right , i.e., muddy or extremely dry. I got a little over 1/2 way in this section and it was just to slick besides the mud caking to tire and fork legs. Being alone I bailed out while I could, wasn't even to the bad stuff yet. Pretty sure it rained out there last night so would have been better Saturday unless more rain.

BTW, by 1:00, it was pretty miserable temperature wise.

Heal fast!

So sorry to hear about this. Hope you heal up quickly. John.

That sucks! Did the other driver at least stop to see if you were OK? Wish you a speedy and complete recovery.

Sorry to hear that. Hope for a speedy recovery. My leg's just starting to get some strength back from breaking it in March so I feel your pain.

If it's the one you gave me, it works. It's just a track though, and not a route.

That looks like a long route. 0.0 All the way out past Trinity. wow.

Granted it could be used and turned around at pointblank instead of doing the whole route in one go.

Yep, don't want to over do it, Trinity is almost 20 miles from Huntsville.

I'm going try to get there for breakfast. No dirt for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back