TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Introductions

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 08-07-2017, 10:05 AM   #1
NWKLR

Another new guy

Hi All,
Just another biker looking for places to go and people to meet. Wife says I'm too old to do this stuff NOT!
Been riding for 40 years on and off and just love my knees in the breeze. Been a cruiser rider for several years, 05 Yamaha Royal Star Deluxe, and last year decided I needed a little more pep in my step and treated myself to a new Yamaha FJR 1300. Man its good to be on something that actually handles like a bike should. Recently traded the old Yamaha for an 07 Kawasaki KLR650 that I'm setting up for some adventure riding. Still have yet to put any real time on the bike since I'm extremely picky on condition and dependability so had to do several fixes/upgrades before I will feel comfortable enough to see what it will do. Its almost ready and its actually getting cool enough to enjoy the riding.
Anybody in the far North Fort Worth area (Decatur) want to find some dirt give me a shout.
Gordo,
Attached Thumbnails
bikes.JPG  
NWKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:20 AM   #2
kickstand~prophet

Re: Another new guy

Welcome to TWT Gordo. You will find one or two other KLR riders here not a very popular model. Seriously maybe the TWT favorite. Many riders have owned or are thinking of one it seems. Kinda the swiss army knife of bikes. Every TWT gathering seems to have them in pictures.

I was looking for a thread for rides up that way but have not been able to find it yet. Go to the forum are and look at upcoming rides for ideas. KP
1985 Yamaha RZ350

Avatar picture courtesy of Ghostrider1964

The biggest challenge of life is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everyone else.

"If you are always trying to be normal you will never know how amazing you can be." Maya Angelou
kickstand~prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:00 AM   #3
Devientartist

Welcome to the site! Lots of really great folks around here! I'm south of the plex in Cedar Hill, but still not too far away.

2016 BMW R1200 GS Adventure
2000 Honda XR650L
1980 Yamaha XS1100
1972 Yamaha R5 350cc Two-Stroke
Devientartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:35 PM   #4
julimike54
Forum Supporter

& enjoy!

KP there are no roads up that way
Old 08-07-2017, 04:24 PM   #5
Rsquared
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWKLR View Post
Hi All,
Just another biker looking for places to go and people to meet.
Welcome to the site. There are plenty of folks here that have the same addiction.

Quote:
Recently traded the old Yamaha for an 07 Kawasaki KLR650 that I'm setting up for some adventure riding. Still have yet to put any real time on the bike since I'm extremely picky on condition and dependability so had to do several fixes/upgrades before I will feel comfortable enough to see what it will do. Its almost ready and its actually getting cool enough to enjoy the riding.
I ran across a fellow in Montana last month, riding a nicely equipped KLR loaded down with gear and heading to the Arctic Circle by himself. He said it was his graduation present to himself after 40 years of work...
Old 08-07-2017, 05:58 PM   #6
V-lust
Forum Supporter

Welcome to TWT NWKLR! Not much dirt left in WC, but lot's of fun paved county roads. Watch for Slacker rides on the forum. Breakfast rides are about all I'm doing til it cools off I'll try to remember to PM ya when we have a group ride planned.
V-lust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:58 AM   #7
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Welcome to the site!

Total Forum Supporter Donations For July: $112.85 - Previous Month: $628.38 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 134 Current Forum Supporters out of 20447 Users (0.66%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:17 AM   #8
Montejay
Forum Supporter

Welcome, Gordo.
Montejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:56 AM   #9
NWKLR

Thanks for all the warm welcomes guys, Hope I can get to meet up with some of you guys at an event. I’ll keep checking the forums for happenings near me and make the ones that I can. If there is no dirt involved I will most certainly be on the FJR and not the KLR. Previous owner put a rather aggressive knobby tire on the rear of the KLR and its just not too pavement friendly at all.
Thanks all
Old 08-08-2017, 09:23 AM   #10
slowspoke

Check out gravelmap.com I have a feeling there should be some good riding up near Muenster. I intend to make my way up there once I build a bit more confidence (new rider).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slowspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:42 AM   #11
NWKLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowspoke View Post
Check out gravelmap.com I have a feeling there should be some good riding up near Muenster. I intend to make my way up there once I build a bit more confidence (new rider).
I'll have to check that out. Lots of great roads up this way all around Decatur to St, Jo, Munster and North. I have enjoyed many miles on my FJR but the only dirt I can find is in the LBJ Grasslands good roads to get comfortable on but no way can you venture off the designated roads and you have to be very careful and mindful of all the Equestrian activity up there.