TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Introductions

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 09-05-2017, 04:39 AM   #41
Gravel Guy
Forum Supporter

Re: New member from across the pond

Howdy from central Texas.....don't stop and eat any brisket or sausage here....you'll fall in love and stay....don't do it!!

Are you doing what you are doing in the name of love?

Mark
guido calculo
NEast of Weird, Texas
Gravel Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:52 AM   #42
philipbarrett
Forum Supporter

Late to the party but that's par for the course...

Welcome fellow Brit, there's a couple of us Ex-Pats around here slumming with the sceptics! Beware, they'll feed you good food, show you great rides & suddenly it'll be 30 years later and you'll have not left yet!

2010 BMW F800GS "Buck"
2002 KTM 300EXC
2015 Husqvarna FE501S
1975 Honda CB400F
philipbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:54 PM   #43
Peirre

Well I've been busy looking at route options and have drafted a basic route from some of tourmeisters suggestions using garmin base camp which I'll get around to uploading a link to so that the members can scrutinise and make some suggestions on. The triumph I am thinking about shipping over is a low(ish) mileage 2006 1050 sprint ST (sports tourer) which I've had from new, and has had the known faults that early triumphs suffered fixed over the years. I also have built up and inventory of spares and triumph specific workshop tools to match the bike. But as the triumph is already geared up for touring as it's my main steed for touring Europe on, I probably wouldn't have to take a huge hit should the worse thing happen while in country.
However I am considering buying either and new 1200 GS or a new Africa twin as I have recently spent time visiting the dealers of both and considering my options.
Food wise I've seen way too many of these TV food shows from the US that leave me salivating so I expect to add at least 20lbs to my waistline

Last edited by Peirre; 09-06-2017 at 12:05 AM.
Peirre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:08 AM   #44
Zonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peirre View Post
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome.
My plan is still in the planning stages, but my initial idea is to airfreight my bike into Dulles sometime around the end of May 2018 giving myself around 4-6 weeks to go across country towards LA where the bike will be sea freighted back to the UK. From Dulles I am looking at visiting:
(not in any order)
The shenandoah parkway
The Blue ridge Parkway
Deals Gap
Pikes Peak
Million Dollar highway
Monument Valley
Glen Canyon
Bryce Canyon
Zion National Park
Hoover Dam
Yosemite National Park
Ride parts of the Pacific coast highway
+ any sensible suggestions of places to visit within the area between I-10 in the south, and I-40 keeping off the interstate as much as possible, I figure riding 200 - 300 mile days, possibly less to make it more enjoyable.

Due to the dates I`m considering travelling I`m aware the weather window along the way won`t be perfect, with potential wet, extreme heat, and cooler temps at higher elevations. I have considered the idea of camping along the way, but the possibility of high temperatures would make it uncomfortable, and the time required to setup camp at the end of each day would eat into the time available. Also the option of sleeping in an air conditioned hotel room after a long day on the road seems a good idea
You have picked some great destinations. I used to live in Arizona and just about July 4th the summer rains start, keep that in mind. Look at the Coronado Trail US191 in Eastern AZ, great road (paved) but lots of turns. In Dolores Colorado (East of Durango) is the Colorado Norton Works you might want to check that out.
John in Texas
Zonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:17 AM   #45
philipbarrett
Forum Supporter

Quote:
The triumph I am thinking about shipping over is a low(ish) mileage 2006 1050 sprint ST (sports tourer)
You should seriously consider buying a bike here, you'll be surprised at how reasonable used machines are compared to Europe.

2010 BMW F800GS "Buck"
2002 KTM 300EXC
2015 Husqvarna FE501S
1975 Honda CB400F
Old 09-06-2017, 11:30 AM   #46
Peirre

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipbarrett View Post
You should seriously consider buying a bike here, you'll be surprised at how reasonable used machines are compared to Europe.
I'm still considering that option, but realistically anything less than a couple of months in country might not be viable.
Unless a bike is fully prepped and serviced, I'd still have to use valuable time prepping the bike before embarking on the trip
Old 09-06-2017, 01:11 PM   #47
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
I'm still considering that option, but realistically anything less than a couple of months in country might not be viable.
Unless a bike is fully prepped and serviced, I'd still have to use valuable time prepping the bike before embarking on the trip
Hop on AdvRider.com. I'd be willing to bet you could find someone willing to sell you a bike already setup and they'd probably even be willing to get it ready for a trip. It is VERY common to find used bikes totally set up for touring or adventure riding. I would HIGHLY recommend a 1200 GS over your Triumph because that adds so many more riding opportunities! I am not talking about riding wild and crazy unpaved roads either, just your basic maintained forest service and county roads on which you could drive most any typical car/truck. You would not need a set of TKC 80s with the full knobs, just a good 50/50 adventure tire would work perfect, like a set of Heidenau K60s or something.

2005 1200 GS
http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...in-wv.1252340/

or if you don't mind spending a bit more

2015 KTM 1190R
http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...odies.1254246/

2008 KTM 990
http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...le-ky.1253708/

2008 1200 GS
http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...et-up.1252359/

And there are many more... Just food for thought

Total Forum Supporter Donations For July: $112.85 - Previous Month: $628.38 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 134 Current Forum Supporters out of 20447 Users (0.66%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:01 PM   #48
philipbarrett
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
Hop on AdvRider.com.
I'm with Scott here & was going to suggest ADVRider too. Most folks on there are great people & would probably store the bike for you before you came over to collect it.

If you don't want to keep it at the end, find another inmate to sell it for you for a commission.

2010 BMW F800GS "Buck"
2002 KTM 300EXC
2015 Husqvarna FE501S
1975 Honda CB400F
Old 09-06-2017, 02:03 PM   #49
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipbarrett View Post
I'm with Scott here & was going to suggest ADVRider too. Most folks on there are great people & would probably store the bike for you before you came over to collect it.

If you don't want to keep it at the end, find another inmate to sell it for you for a commission.
Heck, you might even find one where the person would be willing to rent the bike for a fee plus a deposit I have seen that before. Then they could sell it afterward, assuming it is returned in good shape.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For July: $112.85 - Previous Month: $628.38 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 134 Current Forum Supporters out of 20447 Users (0.66%)

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Old 09-06-2017, 02:03 PM   #50
philipbarrett
Forum Supporter

Wow that KTM 990 is a great deal, 25K with all the bags for $6,500.

2010 BMW F800GS "Buck"
2002 KTM 300EXC
2015 Husqvarna FE501S
1975 Honda CB400F
Old 09-06-2017, 05:25 PM   #51
Zonie

Quote:
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome.
My plan is still in the planning stages, but my initial idea is to airfreight my bike into Dulles sometime around the end of May 2018 giving myself around 4-6 weeks to go across country towards LA where the bike will be sea freighted back to the UK. From Dulles I am looking at visiting:
(not in any order)
The shenandoah parkway
The Blue ridge Parkway
Deals Gap
Pikes Peak
Million Dollar highway
Monument Valley
Glen Canyon
Bryce Canyon
Zion National Park
Hoover Dam
Yosemite National Park
Ride parts of the Pacific coast highway
+ any sensible suggestions of places to visit within the area between I-10 in the south, and I-40 keeping off the interstate as much as possible, I figure riding 200 - 300 mile days, possibly less to make it more enjoyable.

Due to the dates I`m considering travelling I`m aware the weather window along the way won`t be perfect, with potential wet, extreme heat, and cooler temps at higher elevations. I have considered the idea of camping along the way, but the possibility of high temperatures would make it uncomfortable, and the time required to setup camp at the end of each day would eat into the time available. Also the option of sleeping in an air conditioned hotel room after a long day on the road seems a good idea
If you are going from Bryce / Zion Hoover Dam and then Yosemite I have to say that there is a lot of desert out there! Don't trust your GPS and stay on well traveled roads. Death Valley is hot and miserable just like its name even in November. Plan well and check weather.com for average temps along your way.
Zonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:54 PM   #52
Peirre

Thanks for the wise advice, I've been a member on ADV for many years http://advrider.com/index.php?member...-bollox.79307/ as this is how I found myself at twt. I think a ktm 990 won't be suitable as I'm only 5'6" with a 29" inseam, and likewise I may struggle with a 1200 GS. But having swung a let over an AT recently I know I'm ok there. Though I was drooling over a new triple black GSA at the dealers recently but nearly fainted when I saw the price of £17000GBP+
I'll start scouring the for sale pages sometime after Christmas to see if anything take my fancy as by then I'll also have a better idea of a trip plan

Last edited by Peirre; 09-06-2017 at 11:59 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:40 AM   #53
prhaussies

While you are here (add 6+ more wks) Mesa Verde Nat Park is an old Anasazi Indian pueblo located in southern Colorado. That route would line you up for the Grand Canyon (AZ) and Zion (Utah). There is an amazing new bridge over Hoover Dam south of Las Vegas.
We have a saying here: it's dry heat. TX, 95 = 102F, wet heat. Arizona, Nevada, 110 = 110F, dry heat.
If you stay until November, it might have cooled off a bit in Texas!
Anyway, it is like anywhere you visit, there is plenty more for another trip. I have been to England twice and can't wait to get back. So much to see at every turn. RH
prhaussies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:49 AM   #54
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

The BMW F650GS (the one with the 800 motor) might be a great choice. Their seat heights are not as high as the typical adventure bikes. They are often used by inseam challenged riders as dual sport/adventure bikes. There is one sitting in my garage right now. The friend that owns it is 5'2-1/4" tall. She gets upset if I leave off that last bit I have ridden hers and it would make a great touring bike. She has taken it on several long trips. She packs like she's moving, so the bike is capable of handling a LOT of luggage They would likely be much cheaper than something like a 1200 GS, but still have good power, suspension, brakes, gas mileage, etc,...

Quote:

Old 09-07-2017, 07:34 AM   #55
SL350
Forum Supporter

I would have suggested a used wee strom. Great prices, available on the used market, and many with baggage capacity to make a long trip.

Smile

Mike
Honda CT90, SL350
SL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:55 AM   #56
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL350 View Post
I would have suggested a used wee strom. Great prices, available on the used market, and many with baggage capacity to make a long trip.
I was thinking the same thing. The one I bought years ago was setup specifically for touring and I paid $3800 for it when it was only two years old with about 9K miles on it. I only sold it because I got the itch for another GS

Quote:

Old 09-07-2017, 01:06 PM   #57
Peirre

As promised the initial draft of the route drawn up using basecamp
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3mkjurp5jo...coast.gpx?dl=0
I haven't yet considered towns where to find accommodation, as its only an initial draft. Side trips are yet to be considered.
There`s very little on the route at this point between Springfield and Denver except a long tiring ride, so any suggestions to fill that part are welcome
Old 09-07-2017, 06:48 PM   #58
wanabeguru

Welcome aboard!
Arizona: Grand Canyon, Petrified forest, Painted desert
California: Humboldt County; giant Redwood trees