TWT Forums  

 


Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > Texas Adventure Rider's Assoc. > Upcoming TARA Rides/Events

Notices

Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2017, 10:15 PM   #541
Britwheels
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Houston
Posts: 10
Re: 2017 MexTrek #6, Oct 26th to 29th 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzungu View Post
Is this true? So far, no one has mentioned that I have to have the insurance BEFORE going to the Consulate place to get the vehicle permit. Does anyone who has completed this process in the Consulate before know?

Also, is MexPro the one those of you with experience would recommend? Not opposed to that company just interested in your experience.
Yes,
The agency is righ across the street from the consulate.
Britwheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:18 AM   #542
JT
Forum Supporter
 
JT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Elgin
Posts: 1,402
Re: 2017 MexTrek #6, Oct 26th to 29th 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzungu View Post
Is this true? So far, no one has mentioned that I have to have the insurance BEFORE going to the Consulate place to get the vehicle permit. Does anyone who has completed this process in the Consulate before know?

Also, is MexPro the one those of you with experience would recommend? Not opposed to that company just interested in your experience.
I've never had anyone ask for proof of insurance, but it is required. Last year I bought a drivers liability policy from Portugal insurance. $90/year liability only for any vehicle I drive in MX. I will renew before I go.
__________________
-------------
2006 DL1000
2001 XR650R tagged
2003 KLX400R tagged
2007 300XCW not tagged-yet
JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:38 AM   #543
SilverBullet
Forum Supporter
 
SilverBullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Harmaston, TX
Posts: 5,925
Re: 2017 MexTrek #6, Oct 26th to 29th 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT View Post
I've never had anyone ask for proof of insurance, but it is required. Last year I bought a drivers liability policy from Portugal insurance. $90/year liability only for any vehicle I drive in MX. I will renew before I go.
Just to clarify, any "imported" vehicle. Insurance doesn't cover you for MX plated vehicles.
__________________
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2011 Husqvarna TE630
2003 KTM 200 EXC
2002 KTM 300 EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:25 PM   #544
Mzungu
 
Mzungu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Travis County
Posts: 48
Re: 2017 MexTrek #6, Oct 26th to 29th 2017

Here is an excellent and recent article on various kinds of travel insurance and related services; I heartily recommend it -- even if you've already purchased insurance or services. Even though I've used some of these insurance companies and services before, I have to admit, I didn't really understand them. This article helps. A lot. It does a good job of explaining the types of insurance, those "membership-based services," gaps, overlaps and red flags. It is written from the perspective of an adventure traveler, not someone who just who lies on the beach of an all-inclusive 5-star Mexican resort.

https://expeditionportal.com/buyers-...tion-services/

Last edited by Mzungu; 09-13-2017 at 10:39 PM.
Mzungu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:27 PM   #545
Shadman
TWT Site Sponsor
 
Shadman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 1,186
Re: 2017 MexTrek #6, Oct 26th to 29th 2017

FWIW, We have never been asked at the border for mexican liability insurance when getting a vehicle permit.
__________________
It just keeps getting better and better
Shadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:40 PM   #546
Mzungu
 
Mzungu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Travis County
Posts: 48
Smile Re: 2017 MexTrek #6, Oct 26th to 29th 2017

This post is for people who need or want to get their vehicle permit and pay for the tourist visa before crossing the border, and especially for those who want to obtain the TVIP in Austin.

I'm no expert, I'm just sharing my experience to help you if you're interested.

SUMMARY:
Today I got the TVIP at the Banjercito inside the consulate in Austin, and completed a form and paid for the tourist visa online.
The formal name of the document is "Permiso de Importacion Temporal de Vehiculos."

DETAILS:

I showed up at the appointed time and the security guard came running over to help me the moment I walked in and told me I didn't need an appointment (despite what I had been told earlier and read online but maybe they were just being nice and I was wearing a suit as I do every day at work -- so IDK). You can obviously decide if you want to make an appointment or not.

At the consulate counter three people (two of whom were supervisors) informed me that they cannot issue a tourist visa "and haven't for 10 years."

Next, I reported to the Banjercito counter for a TVIP where the helpful lady informed me, as stated by Fang in post 467, that I could complete the visa request form and pay online.

Moving on to the TVIP, she asked me for the ORIGINAL vehicle registration (license plate payment) receipt, my passport, and for copies of both. She also wanted a copy of the vehicle title. I also provided the electronic pre-authorization that I had completed earlier online (I think I maybe mentioned this in a previous post). She reminded me that I needed a Mexico vehicle insurance policy but did not ask to see it (I took it with me just in case). She said the border agents may ask to see it. They charged my credit card (I had pre-authorized payments in Pesos) 8,218.9 pesos ($465.28) which was $400 deposit on my 2017 KTM and the remainder in fees. There was the usual rubber stamping, signing, and passing lots of copies and documents back and forth.

Then the consulate man smiled, shook my hand, waved good-by, and nicely wished me "Merry Christmas." I wonder how many times I've done that in another language. I smiled and thanked them all.

When I got home I completed the visa request form here:https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/solicitud.html. The computer form charged me 500 pesos $28.30USD and issued me a Forma Migratoria Múltiple Electrónica and a FMME Frontera Norte and a Folio de la Operación.

Awhile after you submit the online form, the Mexican government will email you a link to your official form, the FORMA MIGRATORIA MÚLTIPLE (FMM). You must open this email and print this form and take it with you to the border crossing. It is NOT sufficient to print the last web page for you complete.

So I got a 6-month visa request and TVIP starting in a week (in case I win the lotto and can leave early).

I understand that I'm to show the TVIP and the Forma Migratoria Múltiple Electrónica / PAGO DE DERECHOS POR SERVICIOS MIGRATORIOS (aka PAYMENT OF RIGHTS FOR MIGRATION SERVICES) to the government agents at the border crossing.

More on the new consulate location:

I mentioned the new address on Ben White Blvd in a previous post. I entered that address into Waze and it led me a long block away, nearing my appointment time and looking at a maze of buildings for the consulate. I'm glad I was early as I wasted some time driving around. The actual address was the next cross street west of the location the Waze application took me to. Once you get the the correct intersection the consulate has posted lots of small signs leading the way. When I finally got to the right building, I asked my Garmin my current location and it indicated N 30.21780 W 097.72337. It is a brown 2 story building.

Anything else I need to do for the government of Mexico?

Last edited by Mzungu; 09-15-2017 at 11:57 PM.
Mzungu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:27 PM   #547
roamer
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Dallas
Posts: 49
Re: 2017 MexTrek #6, Oct 26th to 29th 2017

Is the goal of the GMRS radio to communicate during the ride or only in emergency when one would presumably be off the bike? If we will be using it during the ride, I will get the SR10 so I can connect it to my SENA. Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:37 PM   #548
copb8
Forum Supporter
 
copb8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Highland Village (Dallas) TX
Posts: 628
Re: 2017 MexTrek #6, Oct 26th to 29th 2017

I can tell you that when I went last year almost no one had integrated radios to their helmets. Don't know if a large percent had them in their bags or not.

That said, I had one mounted and integrated on my old bike and have done the same on the new one.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
__________________
Bart

16 KTM 690 Enduro R
13 Super Tenere
copb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:48 PM   #549
JT
Forum Supporter
 
JT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Elgin
Posts: 1,402
Re: 2017 MexTrek #6, Oct 26th to 29th 2017

I like to use the radios during the ride. The senas/scalas do not have enough range to use when off pavement. The second, third forth and so on riders are following back to stay out of the dust and the bluetooth connection fails. When riding off pavement, the radio can be used without an integrated helmet headset. But, on the pavement the wind noise transmitted from the radios mic or the cheap earbuds with builtin mics is just annoying to the receiving riders. The receiving riders will not be able to understand transmissions from the cheap sets. The only systems I've seen that work well at speed are the Senas and the Rugged Radios helmet sets. I gave up and paid the money for the Sena SR10 and 10S. It works.
__________________
-------------
2006 DL1000
2001 XR650R tagged
2003 KLX400R tagged
2007 300XCW not tagged-yet
JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 03:39 PM   #550
roamer
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Dallas
Posts: 49
Re: 2017 MexTrek #6, Oct 26th to 29th 2017

Thank you JT and copb8


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 04:58 PM   #551
Mzungu
 
Mzungu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Travis County
Posts: 48
Re: 2017 MexTrek #6, Oct 26th to 29th 2017

Survey on riding gear choice and rationale from you Galeana Gurus.

I'd trying to decide between motocross/enduro clothing and ADV clothing or mix/match. I'm riding the KTM 500 EXC. I do NOT have a windscreen on my KTM because my GPS mount interferes with a screen plus my handlebars are full of stuff. I have a full complement of MC clothing to choose from (ask my wife), so it's not a matter of buying anything.

- ADV or dirt helmet? ADV has better wind/rain protection and better visibility in traffic vs goggles; dirt = much better ventilation, and can wear glasses vs goggles for better visibility in traffic provided weather is good.
- If motocross/enduro chest protector, hard or soft armor?
- If motocross, jacket and pants: Ventilated with a separate rain/wind shell, or non-ventilated? Colder mornings vs working hard up on the pegs in the sun in the afternoon?
- Motocross or ADV boots?
Mix and matching? ADV jacket and pant with moto armor and knee braces? Or what? Why?

Thanks, Trekers!

Last edited by Mzungu; 09-16-2017 at 10:44 PM.
Mzungu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 12:52 AM   #552
crchristo
 
crchristo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 180
Re: 2017 MexTrek #6, Oct 26th to 29th 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzungu View Post
This post is for people who need or want to get their vehicle permit and pay for the tourist visa before crossing the border, and especially for those who want to obtain the TVIP in Austin.

I'm no expert, I'm just sharing my experience to help you if you're interested.

SUMMARY:
Today I got the TVIP at the Banjercito inside the consulate in Austin, and completed a form and paid for the tourist visa online.
The formal name of the document is "Permiso de Importacion Temporal de Vehiculos."

DETAILS:

I showed up at the appointed time and the security guard came running over to help me the moment I walked in and told me I didn't need an appointment (despite what I had been told earlier and read online but maybe they were just being nice and I was wearing a suit as I do every day at work -- so IDK). You can obviously decide if you want to make an appointment or not.

At the consulate counter three people (two of whom were supervisors) informed me that they cannot issue a tourist visa "and haven't for 10 years."

Next, I reported to the Banjercito counter for a TVIP where the helpful lady informed me, as stated by Fang in post 467, that I could complete the visa request form and pay online.

Moving on to the TVIP, she asked me for the ORIGINAL vehicle registration (license plate payment) receipt, my passport, and for copies of both. She also wanted a copy of the vehicle title. I also provided the electronic pre-authorization that I had completed earlier online (I think I maybe mentioned this in a previous post). She reminded me that I needed a Mexico vehicle insurance policy but did not ask to see it (I took it with me just in case). She said the border agents may ask to see it. They charged my credit card (I had pre-authorized payments in Pesos) 8,218.9 pesos ($465.28) which was $400 deposit on my 2017 KTM and the remainder in fees. There was the usual rubber stamping, signing, and passing lots of copies and documents back and forth.

Then the consulate man smiled, shook my hand, waved good-by, and nicely wished me "Merry Christmas." I wonder how many times I've done that in another language. I smiled and thanked them all.

When I got home I completed the visa request form here:https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/solicitud.html. The computer form charged me 500 pesos $28.30USD and issued me a Forma Migratoria Múltiple Electrónica and a FMME Frontera Norte and a Folio de la Operación.

Awhile after you submit the online form, the Mexican government will email you a link to your official form, the FORMA MIGRATORIA MÚLTIPLE (FMM). You must open this email and print this form and take it with you to the border crossing. It is NOT sufficient to print the last web page for you complete.

So I got a 6-month visa request and TVIP starting in a week (in case I win the lotto and can leave early).

I understand that I'm to show the TVIP and the Forma Migratoria Múltiple Electrónica / PAGO DE DERECHOS POR SERVICIOS MIGRATORIOS (aka PAYMENT OF RIGHTS FOR MIGRATION SERVICES) to the government agents at the border crossing.

More on the new consulate location:

I mentioned the new address on Ben White Blvd in a previous post. I entered that address into Waze and it led me a long block away, nearing my appointment time and looking at a maze of buildings for the consulate. I'm glad I was early as I wasted some time driving around. The actual address was the next cross street west of the location the Waze application took me to. Once you get the the correct intersection the consulate has posted lots of small signs leading the way. When I finally got to the right building, I asked my Garmin my current location and it indicated N 30.21780 W 097.72337. It is a brown 2 story building.

Anything else I need to do for the government of Mexico?
So, doing it this way, what needs to actually be done at the border? Getting through the border was the one part of my trip that sucked. Anything I can do to minimize my time there is worth it.
__________________
I'm not looking for a destination. The route is its own attraction.
KTM 450EXC & Victory Vision
crchristo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:21 AM   #553
Mzungu
 
Mzungu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Travis County
Posts: 48
Re: 2017 MexTrek #6, Oct 26th to 29th 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by crchristo View Post
So, doing it this way, what needs to actually be done at the border? Getting through the border was the one part of my trip that sucked. Anything I can do to minimize my time there is worth it.
I hope others can answer more definitively but AFAIK all I need to do is hand the border agent the TVIP, FMM and any supporting documentation and then hopefully hear the usual pounding of rubber stamping and them handing me documents.

In other countries, I've always tried to have all my documents completed and organized then they usually just get me through line quickly and seems to minimize unnecessary drama.

If there is anything else I'd like to know as well.
Mzungu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:43 AM   #554
jdsmetx
 
jdsmetx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 146
Re: 2017 MexTrek #6, Oct 26th to 29th 2017

Mzungu, Please let us know how it goes at the border. This is on my "bucket list" rides and I am one of those that like to have things in order. So If I could minimize any drama I'm all for it!
Good luck, ride safe, and have fun!!

__________________
Joe

DR650 "Donkey"
DL1000 "Thunder"
jdsmetx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:53 AM   #555
centextom
 
centextom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Round Rock
Posts: 625
Re: 2017 MexTrek #6, Oct 26th to 29th 2017

My one MexTrek trip, I did everything at the border and it was pretty easy since I had a Spanish speaker with me! I plan on doing all my paperwork at the border again, and hope I can find another translator that will come along with me!
__________________
If its in stock, we got it!
2012 YZ450f Current
2007 KTM450x Current
2006 CRF450X Gone
2007 WR450R Sons gone
2000 ZRX 1100 Current
1970 Speedway shrike, dead
1972 Honda CT 70 gone
1975 Honda XR 75 gone
1977? Honda MR 175 gone
1982 Yamaha YZ 250J gone
1982 Suzuku GS 550 L
1983 Kaw KLR250 gone
1985 Kaw 1100 Voyager gone
1995 Honda Goldwing gone
2001 900 Triumph Trophy dead
2007 Yamaha 1200 Silverado gone
2005 Honda Goldwing gone
2006 Suzuki DR 650 gone
2008 Kaw Nomad 1200
centextom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:54 AM   #556
Mzungu
 
Mzungu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Travis County
Posts: 48
Re: 2017 MexTrek #6, Oct 26th to 29th 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmetx View Post
Mzungu, Please let us know how it goes at the border. This is on my "bucket list" rides and I am one of those that like to have things in order. So If I could minimize any drama I'm all for it!
Good luck, ride safe, and have fun!!

Happy to. If I forget please ping me. I figure if I can do a border entry in 1-2 hours I'm doing good, but have done some in 15-20 minutes, much to my surprise and delight! I've known of cases where it took people 8 hours (usually because their paperwork was not done in advance AND because they refused to pay the requested "expedited service personal fees," but again this is in Africa; not sure about MX. Anyway, I'm trying to avoid that!

Over-prepared? Okay, guilty, your honor!
Mzungu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:55 PM   #557
Mzungu
 
Mzungu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Travis County
Posts: 48
Re: 2017 MexTrek #6, Oct 26th to 29th 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzungu View Post
Survey on riding gear choice and rationale from you Galeana Gurus.

I'd trying to decide between motocross/enduro clothing and ADV clothing or mix/match. I'm riding the KTM 500 EXC. I do NOT have a windscreen on my KTM because my GPS mount interferes with a screen plus my handlebars are full of stuff. I have a full complement of MC clothing to choose from (ask my wife), so it's not a matter of buying anything.

- ADV or dirt helmet? ADV has better wind/rain protection and better visibility in traffic vs goggles; dirt = much better ventilation, and can wear glasses vs goggles for better visibility in traffic provided weather is good.
- If motocross/enduro chest protector, hard or soft armor?
- If motocross, jacket and pants: Ventilated with a separate rain/wind shell, or non-ventilated? Colder mornings vs working hard up on the pegs in the sun in the afternoon?
- Motocross or ADV boots?
Mix and matching? ADV jacket and pant with moto armor and knee braces? Or what? Why?

Thanks, Trekers!
Bump
Mzungu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:10 PM   #558
crchristo
 
crchristo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 180
Re: 2017 MexTrek #6, Oct 26th to 29th 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzungu View Post
Bump


I think the best answer for this is to look at previous MexTrek and other Sierra Madre area ride reports. Look at the pictures. You're not going to find the definitive answer you seek. Much like an oil thread!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
I'm not looking for a destination. The route is its own attraction.
KTM 450EXC & Victory Vision
crchristo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:45 PM   #559
Mzungu
 
Mzungu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Travis County
Posts: 48
2017 MexTrek #6, Oct 26th to 29th 2017

Thank you – a lot of what I saw in the pictures was ADV gear which is kind of why I was asking I guess. I did see some motorcross gear of course. As you suggest, I'll have to make my own decision – just interested in other peoples' thoughts and thought others might benefit is well – that's all.

I guess I'm a little biased toward safety because I was sideswiped in Nairobi and almost run over by a truck which would've been fatal, and I used to be a metropolitan EMT/firefighter and then later military nurse so I've seen plenty of motorcyclists on the street and in the emergency department. I also tend to take one additional step toward safety when I'm in a country where I'd prefer not to get surgery.

All of this wisdom does get overruled by my right hand on the throttle sometimes though

Also, so much of this kind of riding is dictated by terrain, weather and situation and I'm a newb on Mexico, of course.

Or somebody might say "I wore my ventilated gear and I'm so glad I did" or "I wore my ventilated gear and froze my *** off."

Last edited by Mzungu; 09-17-2017 at 09:58 PM.
Mzungu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:58 PM   #560
crchristo
 
crchristo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 180
Re: 2017 MexTrek #6, Oct 26th to 29th 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzungu View Post
Thank you – a lot of what I saw in the pictures was ADV gear which is kind of why I was asking I guess. I did see some motorcross gear of course. As you suggest, I'll have to make my own opinion – just interested in other peoples' thoughts and thought others might benefit is well – that's all.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


Disclaimer: The following response is powered by a full day of hot Texas yard work followed up by copious amounts of various combinations of water, barley, hops, and other stuff.

Well, my experience consists of one solo trip down there, so take it for what it's worth. I have spent a fair amount of time riding in Korea, but that's a whole 'nuther animal.

I wore a dirt bike helmet and sunglasses. I had goggles but never used them. My helmet is integrated with a radio, which was irrelevant on my solo ride in Mexico.

I wore knee/shin pads under my OTB goretex KTM pants for all of my riding. They have minimal venting but they were fine. Man parts got a little sweaty, but chicks dig the orange accents, so there's that!

I started off with a soft armored FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket and armored gloves but put them away at the border crossing until Galeana. Too hot.
I did wear them during my day trips out of Galeana and was sufficiently comfortable but rode unzipped a lot. I wore Fox motocross boots at all times on the bike.

So, like oil choices I think it really boils down to your own personal risk analysis. My very limited experience in that region allowed me to maintain my belief that the biggest risk to me, is me. I rode slower, more cautiously, and just did not take the risks that I might have here in the states. I did not have any issues with motorists. The only issues I had were directly attributable to me being a *******.

One thing that I didn't concern myself with on my trip; the impact that a mishap would have on a fellow rider. Something to think about, because if you're in a group, and you go down, the rest of the group is not going to just keep going. ATGATT might mean the difference between the group spending a few minutes getting you back on your bike or hours dealing with medical and legal issues.

So, as we get closer, I'm still undecided over the Kilimanjaro jacket or Leat body armor. It'll depend on what the weatherman says the day before I leave. I don't have room for both! I'm on a similar bike as yours. (450 EXC)

Others are obviously welcome to chime in, and my advice is guaranteed for the full purchase price.

I'm SO ready to be on the way! Calgon, take me away!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
I'm not looking for a destination. The route is its own attraction.
KTM 450EXC & Victory Vision
crchristo is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > Texas Adventure Rider's Assoc. > Upcoming TARA Rides/Events

Notices


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 7 (4 members and 3 guests)
Britwheels, Dirt, Mzungu, tricepilot
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All Rights Reserved, Scott Friday 2003-12.
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.20970 seconds with 13 queries