TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Introductions

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 08-28-2017, 04:46 PM   #21
kickstand~prophet

Re: New member from across the pond

Welcome to TWT. I noticed you mentioned the Million Dollar highway. If you do not like heights skip this one. Several folks are scare stiff on this road. Most people who do not care for heights will do it from south to north. Last two times I have been north to south which is more exciting. Lots of wonderful scenery on just about any road in Colorado. CO149 is also quite nice.
1985 Yamaha RZ350

Avatar picture courtesy of Ghostrider1964

The biggest challenge of life is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everyone else.

"If you are always trying to be normal you will never know how amazing you can be." Maya Angelou
kickstand~prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:55 PM   #22
tshelfer

Hey, we're officially nicknamed "The Friendly State". Just 28 million friendly people, and a couple of old soreheads here and there.

KP speaks the truth. The Million Dollar Highway is a bit daunting to some. Actually a pretty safe road, but the dropoffs can get your attention. A lot of folks prefer riding it south to north because, most of the way, that puts you on the side away from the dropoffs. But if you've ridden Alpine roads in Germany, Austria, or Italy, it will actually seem fairly tame.

'05 red VStrom - sold
'79 Honda CB650 - sold
'75 Honda CB400F Super Sport - sold
'74 Suzuki TS185 enduro - liberated
'72 Yamaha RT3 endure - sold
tshelfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:16 PM   #23
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Yeah, 550 is fun. The last time I was on it, there was ice on the road Look high right of that truck... see the icicles?

Avalanche shelter

Normally a fun spot... this day tip toe through it REAL carefully...

That was all in mid April though. There is not usually that kind of snow by late May. Be aware that even in June/July, you can find yourself in sleet/snow when you get up on some of the high passes. We had snow coming in sideways on Independence Pass on 82 SE of Aspen... in July. Also, there is almost ALWAYS road construction somewhere. There will be a line of vehicles and a pilot vehicle for leading people through. These can take anywhere from five minutes to an hour depending on what they are doing. Usually they aren't longer than maybe 15 minutes. I usually park the bike and start walking down the line of vehicles chatting up folks to see where they are from.

If you find yourself in Durango near eating time, find this place,

It is on the West side of US 550 toward the North end of town. I highly recommend it. If you are in Lake City on 149, stop in a Poker Alices restaurant in town. Great food.

Oh, I forgot to mention North Clear Creek Falls on 149 South of Lake City. It is after you go over Slumgullion Pass. Look for CR 16 on the East side of 149. About 3/4 mile down that road is a little parking lot area. You can check out the falls from there.

Here's a random shot from the Colorado Nat Monument up near Grand Junction

This is Black Canyon of the Gunnison, East of Montrose on US 50. This is almost a 2000 ft drop from top to bottom. You can ride down into it if you like.

There are some REALLY big rocks along Hwy 141 between Naturita and Gateway!!

This is at the top of Lizzard Head Pass between Telluride and Cortez on Hwy 145.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:26 PM   #24
kickstand~prophet

Yes do try the Q joint in Durango always good. On the edge of town if your coming in from north of Durango. Just ate there again in July.

Also the waterfall on 149 is wonderful. I heard it was the most photographed waterfall in Colorado. You cannot see it from the road so keep a sharp eye out if you get over to CO149. You could spend the entire time in Colorado there are some many killer roads to ride. Northern New Mexico is nice also.
1985 Yamaha RZ350

Avatar picture courtesy of Ghostrider1964

The biggest challenge of life is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everyone else.

"If you are always trying to be normal you will never know how amazing you can be." Maya Angelou
kickstand~prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:27 AM   #25
Peirre

It looks like I may need to acquire some more detailed maps with a better scale, than the Reise ones I currently have (1:1,250,000) especially for Colorado and other state park areas. Some of the roads ( routes and FM) mentioned are not shown on mine. Can anyone point me in the right direction where to find suitable maps of the right scale, post the ISBN number if possible then maybe I can order them up at this side of the pond
Peirre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:15 AM   #26
gixxerjasen

Oooh, I can be in before others.

http://www.butlermaps.com/
gixxerjasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:19 AM   #27
ntklr650

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerjasen View Post

That's a keeper, just bookmarked it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

2001 KLR-650
1987 KLR-650 - Sold
2005 Vulcan 750 - Sold

New status: On two wheels again.
Old status: In between bikes right now
ntklr650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:25 AM   #28
gixxerjasen

Sometimes it doesn't matter if it's north/south or south/north on 550 in Colorado, you get to ride on the edge whether you like it or not.

Also, if you want to sample some real Americana and are headed between Texas and Colorado, I'd work your route and schedule so you spend a night in Tucumcari. Sample some of the historic route 66 and stay at the Blue Swallow Motel.

It's a very nicely restored motel with great folks that run it. They love their visitors and love getting to know them. You do need to make reservations though because the word is out on this place and it fills up. If there's a car show in town then you are in for a real treat if you check that out. But plan on grabbing some beer from the grocery store down the street and hanging out on the patio in the dry desert air looking at the neon lights and visiting with your neighbors. This place is always a fantastic experience.

Last edited by gixxerjasen; 08-29-2017 at 08:26 AM.
gixxerjasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:54 AM   #29
Peirre

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerjasen View Post

I had seen references to the butler maps elsewhere, however the only UK supplier I'm aware of tells me some of them have been out of print since 2014 or has not been reprinted since then, but the butler website is currently showing a 6 for $60 offer, but the international shipping cost for 6 is $25.
Do the butler maps have some kind of barcode / QRcode that you can scan with a smartphone to get additional information online about a specific place shown on the map?
Old 08-29-2017, 10:03 AM   #30
tshelfer

Tucumcari doesn't look like much, but it is a historic town along the old 'Route 66.' And it has the distinction of having more hotel rooms per capita than any other city in America.

As for maps - For motorcyclists, Butler maps are absolutely the best in directing you to the most enjoyable scenic roads. But even they don't have a huge amount of detail for the tiny FM roads, except in the highlighted areas.

In my camping wanderings in my Jeep and trailer, I've long relied on Delorme. If a road isn't on this map, you probably don't want to be on the road.
https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb...=maps+delorme+
The problem, of course, is that these are bulky, and if you're carrying Delorme books for 3 or 4 key states, that's a lot of bulk. For riding, one solution is to take pictures of critical pages and carry them on your phone, although I've tried it and it just isn't very satisfactory.

Will you be carrying a GPS or a tablet? You can download amazingly detailed maps to most GPSs these days. And although I haven't specifically looked, I'd think you could buy a detailed set of maps for your tablet, so that you can view the map on a larger screen. Actually, you can get all that for free on your tablet and phone, but if you're out of service range, it doesn't do you any good. That's why I'm thinking about a map set that resides on your tablet rather than in the Cloud.

'05 red VStrom - sold
'79 Honda CB650 - sold
'75 Honda CB400F Super Sport - sold
'74 Suzuki TS185 enduro - liberated
'72 Yamaha RT3 endure - sold
tshelfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:58 AM   #31
Peirre

I run a garmin Zumo 660 on the bike, plotting routes using basecamp or the older mapsource software on the computer (an old acer one) before uploading them to the 660. At the moment I don't have the necessary garmin software to enable me to do this. Again this is another thing on my shopping list.
Cell phone data will be another issue I have to look at, as my current UK provider doesn't include USA data/calls in my current call package which make using my cell phone in the USA expensive, so I'm may consider switching local UK providers or getting a temporary USA SIM card for data usage.

I think, as this thread is meant to be a new member introduction thread. Maybe the Mods should consider moving the majority of the posts about my planning over to another section with a similar title so we can continue the discussion there
Old 08-29-2017, 11:08 AM   #32
medicjeff
Forum Supporter

Hey Pierre, where in the UK are you from? My wife is from Dorchester. We get back about once a year to visit her family. We're in NW Austin if you get down this way. The Butler maps are great. There's a member here that sells them.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthre...ht=butler+maps

Cheer...Jeff
medicjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:44 PM   #33
Peirre

Hi Jeff, I'm from the North of England, east of the city of Sheffield, and probably 3-4hrs drive north from Dorchester.

I've just spent a couple of hours in front of a computer using tyre software, connecting the locations and creating a route from Tourmeisters previous post.
Though a few minor changes are being considered to reduce the number of double backs in Colorado, and switching the direction of travel on the 550, so that there's always an element of continuing westward travel
Old 08-29-2017, 10:23 PM   #34
Texas T

Another +1 on the Butler maps.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:23 PM   #35
rob-houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshelfer View Post
It becomes I-40 at Little Rock. Po tay to, po tah to.
Shouldn't that be: To may to, to mah to!

I should know, I'm British..................... just 380 years removed!

Garmin Nuvi 1450 LMT refurb.

2013 Honda CB500XA
2003 Blue Ninja 250
2008 Kawasaki KLR-650
1983 Honda XL-185S
1969 Penton 125cc (KTM frame Sachs motor)
1969 Honda CB-350
1967 Honda CL-175 (Insurance replacement for S-90)
1966 Honda S-90 (Totaled into 1964 Mustang)

1979/1980 Pearl White Bianchi 15 speed

Rob
rob-houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 03:07 AM   #36
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Get a Garmin GPS and put the City Navigator maps for the US on it if it does not already come with it preloaded. My experience is that they show just about everything, even little goat trails that barely deserve to be called a "road". Trying to carry paper maps for all of it will take up a lot of space. If you have a cell phone with internet once you are here, Google Maps will also have pretty much everything. So you can use that as a back up in a pinch.

As for the good roads to ride... just keep posting here

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Old 08-30-2017, 07:33 AM   #37
SL350
Forum Supporter

I know it's not on the route but I would like to mention that there are areas on the Padre Island seashore where you can go for miles on the beach without seeing anyone. Access is almost free. It's not developed at all, just sand and water for 50+ miles on the north side, no clue on the south side. The water is very warm.

Smile

Mike
Honda CT90, SL350
SL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:12 AM   #38
BigKev72

Fort Hood has two good armoured museums that are fairly accessible. You would have to go through a background check at the main gate and provide proof of insurance to the mp's there but it's a fun base to visit. Also I will second the Nimitz museum in Fredericksburg it's well worth a visit.
There is supposed to be another armoured museum in Austin, I have not managed to make it down to that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigKev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 11:03 AM   #39
dandeldesierto

I didn't see what Triumph you'll be riding mentioned anywhere.?
So far, you've got great input from a "few" writing riders; please consider there's a multitude of other riders and suggested rides that you haven't heard about (yet). Point being that you could spend the REST of your life in North America and still have unfinished business (riding). I would advise that you cherry-pick your things to do list and not try and do it all, whether you're here for 6 weeks or 6 years it's not enough time.
If you have access to any U.S. motorcycle mags, almost everyone of them have travel stories in every issue. Of course they're all available online now. There's one called "Roadrunner" I think, that leans toward touring. Also, you might find some of Clem Salvadori's (sic?) books and articles online. Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and probably other states have award winning magazines (Texas Highways, Arizona Highways, New Mexico's mag is just called New Mexico IIRC). Arizona Highways is particularly well known for their photography.
I'm kind of an improv type myself, so I would encourage you to leave some room for extemporaneous exploring if possible. Discovery is a wonderful byproduct of travel.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:58 PM   #40
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

I agree totally about the issue of never enough time to ride it all! That is what makes trip planning such a challenge in many places. I could spend many weeks just in the Western part of North Carolina, Northwestern Arkansas, Southwestern Missouri, Western Colorado, all of New Mexico and Arizona, or any states West of I-25. The amount of incredible riding and cool things to see is amazing. I usually only get about 10 days to make any trip I do, so I really have to work hard to narrow things down to a manageable level. It is not unusual for me to spend 10-12 weeks, sometimes more, researching and planning for trips. The internet is an amazing tool for this!!!

Quote: