• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mad Scientist Tire Academy

I've read the Tire Academy thread since it began. I realized I was "that guy" when I had a flat on my KLR riding with Agman. He ended up hauling it back to my house in his trailer. I now have the tools and tubes on the KLR. I have fixed tube flats at my house. I wasn't fast but got it done, thanks to Tricepilot.

Someone recommended the Safe-T-Seal plug kit and I bought one. I've been carrying it on my tubeless tire bikes. Yesterday I was about 5 miles from my house on Hwy 84 running up my Tenere to 75 mph when the tail end started fishtailing. I pulled over ASAP into a place I could work on it. The tire was very hot. I may have been riding on a flat. With a large Safe-T-Seal plug I was able to ride home. My next farkle is an electric air pump. The little bicycle pump got hot and it was tedious filling the tire.

I'm also ready to invest in tire pressure monitoring devices. I need some advice on them, which one to buy, how reliable they are, how well they work. Thanks.

RE: not being fast but getting it done: I must emphasize repeatedly that tire skills are perishable, so once somebody learns how to do it, it must be practiced. My advice is at least once a year, at minimum. This won't be hard to do because it goes along with how much riding somebody does. When it comes to tire replacement, there of course is the time to spoon off/spoon on the new rubber and voilà there is your refresher class.

RE: electric pumps. The two most common I see (and have) are Best Rest Products and Slime. I've even seen videos on how to take the plastic case off the Slime pumps and just carry the "guts" as a minimalist journeyman.

RE: Safe-T-Seal recommendations: That's me in that group, once I stumbled upon that company I tossed any and all rubber plug kits (which I've tried). Also, as a reminder since I've already posted this 1,000 times - don't use the cheapo gas station strings. They're crap. And carry both sizes of the Safe-T-Seal strings, you'll have occasion to use both.

RE: Tire pressure monitoring. I have it on my '15 GSA but never have seen it on a pure dirt bike. My opinion right now is I wouldn't bother with it on a dirt bike. On a moto used for highway travel and dirt riding I might consider it, but on a moto mostly used for dirt, I wouldn't.

RE: Op Ed: The day will never arrive when everyone at a rally or any type of group ride sees all riders ready and able to tackle their own flats. Somebody will always be "that guy". I once was. Even to this day, I'll ride with somebody who has even better tire skills than I have, and I'll feel once again like a learner and "that guy". The whole point of the MSTA is to encourage all motorcycle riders to prepare in advance for the inevitable flat, not just for convenience reasons but for safety reasons as well, for example getting home before night fall.

For around the shop, these work really well. Bit cumbersome for stuffing in your backpack, though.

DSCN1472.jpg

+1 on RG's invention :rider: :clap: :trust: :sun:

I will be demonstrating that tool as well as the Baja No Pinch Tire Tool at Richards Tech Day on 19 March in Buda

From the Richard's Mexico Rundown thread:

"March 19 - Tech Day"

"I [RIchard] am hosting a tech day at my home on Saturday, March 19th for anyone who would like to attend.

The purpose of the tech day is for rally attendee's to complete any work on their bikes that needs to be done before heading to Mexico. However, all riders are invited to attend - you do not need to be a rally attendee to come to tech day.

Meet at my home on Saturday, March 19th, 10 am. Bring your tools and parts. I have a long paved driveway we will use. We will go to a local restaurant for lunch.

My address is 12609 Red Bud Trail, Buda, TX 78610."

So anyone reading the Mad Scientist thread and who wants to practice tire skill, be at Richards to do so :trust:

Walked outside to a flat tire really late this afternoon.... Going to order one of those jacks....

photo%201_13.jpg

Thought since I had the wheel off, I might as well put the new rear tire on too.
Everything went fine. Broke a sweat breaking the bead, got the tube out. Found my toolkit has everything I need for a proper tire change. Got the TKC80 off kind of uneventfully, thanks to Doug Schopinsky - http://www.twtex.com/forums/showpost.php?p=855440&postcount=6

That guy makes it look easy. Too easy. My first time changing a tire hasn't been too fun....

Got the new Kenda Big Block halfway mounted, tube in and couldn't get the tire completely on. The last little bit kept trying to pinch the tube, no matter how much air was in there. Found I had the bead seated halfway on the other side.... Took it all off and followed some different directions and got stuck with with rim inside the tire and I can't get the dang thing off now. Two hours and a busted knuckle. Shoulda waited until Saturday :giveup: Back to the garage after a drink...:zen:

Last edited:
Got the new Kenda Big Block halfway mounted, tube in and couldn't get the tire completely on. The last little bit kept trying to pinch the tube, no matter how much air was in there. Found I had the bead seated halfway on the other side.... Took it all off and followed some different directions and got stuck with with rim inside the tire and I can't get the dang thing off now. Two hours and a busted knuckle. Shoulda waited until Saturday :giveup: Back to the garage after a drink...:zen:

Bring it all to Richard's - we'll have a go of it with the Baja No Pinch Tire Tool

No more busted knuckles, hours of effort, or pinched tubes

So the sidewall on these Big Block tires are ridiculously stiff. I can't get the first side to mount without it seating immediately. Any suggestions? Thinking maybe a C clamp? I don't want to show up to a tech day with just a wheel....

Bring it all to Richard's - we'll have a go of it with the Baja No Pinch Tire Tool

No more busted knuckles, hours of effort, or pinched tubes

We must have been typing at the same time! I thought about that tool when I was doing this. Saw you posted about it somewhere deep in this thread... Going to give it another go in a minute. Forgot to eat dinner :lol2::eat:

We must have been typing at the same time! I thought about that tool when I was doing this. Saw you posted about it somewhere deep in this thread... Going to give it another go in a minute. Forgot to eat dinner :lol2::eat:

Think about dealing with that tire out on the trail as the sun goes down. No hot dinner to pause with. Then you hear the strange howl from deep in the woods, or is it getting closer?

Then you whip out the Baja No Pinch, adjust your headlamp, and voila - the stubborn rear tire with side walls like cement pops on like a buttered roll. Everything is back together and you make it into town just as the mariachi band is setting up for their first set of the night. After a tall tequila, you close your eyes in your secure hotel room, the serenade of the city jardin fading fast.

Out there somewhere in the world, the guy without the Baja No Pinch Tire Tool is frustrated as the cold rain of the night begins to pelt down. All he has is a space blanket and his riding gear to protect him from the dropping temperatures, and the biting bugs. He swears to himself that he will make it back to civilization - if he survives the night - and never put himself in this situation again.

Suddenly you startle awake in your hotel room - this was your nightmare! You look about the room, well relieved.

You sleep the sleep of the well prepared.

i-dz97TJs-L.jpg

The Baja No Pinch TT takes a bow after a quick and easy tire install. Tire is a Dunlop 606 known for having stiff sidewalls. Piece of cake.

Note: The BNPTT has three axle posts plus an adapter. We learned at Rich's tech day that the rear wheel on a KLR 650 takes one of the smaller posts. You have to order the smaller posts as accessories. Be sure to know the diameter of your bike's axles and to make sure you're carrying the correct one. I left the two smaller posts at home (don't need them for my KTM 500) so was unable to assist texaspatrick with his Kenda tire. I'll be carrying all posts on future big group rides.

i-hGCj5bd-L.jpg

I like to carry a work mat in the field.

Tip: stuff an empty zip lock bag in the work mat pocket. Put valve stems, small parts, & other stuff in the bag and put in the pocket until needed to go back on. It'll help you prevent losing something critical.

i-6hF3gt2-L.jpg

Tires warming in the sun

Warm tires + plenty of tire lube + correct technique + regular practice + BNPTT + road tire kit and spares = you're ready for just about anything on the trail away from home

PS That's Jack the Wunderhund in the background

I'm liking that mat. Looks way more durable than my Walmart pancho remnants. Where does one find such things?

i-hGCj5bd-L.jpg

* Folks, this is an often overlooked essential - something to work on out in the woods. Much better than grass and grit in the ole hub.

Hey Bob, save that old TKC for me, plenty of rubber left on that one. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Back