• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Rim/Spokes lacing

There is a Houston torcs racer named Greg Draper who does wheels for all that crowd. I have had him build up several wheels for me & my son. He gets 'em tight & right.

FWIW, the best write-up on lacing wheels I've ever seen is in old Hardly-Ableson Shop Manuals.

Isn't that because every spoke wheel on a Harley tends to come loose and needs to be fixed on the roadside at some point?

Isn't that because every spoke wheel on a Harley tends to come loose and needs to be fixed on the roadside at some point?

Nope - never had a problem with loose spokes but taillights shattered from vibration (3 of the 5 xmsn mounting bolts vibed out, one about to fall out one semi-tight - BUT that bike ('82 FXWG) had been torn down and reassembled by a guy who couldn't get it to run, gave up and sold it to me. Abt 5hrs later, she was putting down the road.

Shifting's fun, too, when the shifter pedal vibrates out of the lever and winds up somewhere in the 'Chafalaya swamp, after midnight, on the Brule Road (Chacahoula to back-side of Thibodaux). That's when it's good to be riding a '74 XLCH, last of the bikes with the shifter on the "correct" side - pull clutch, reach down, grab the lever & shift. Piece-a-cake! :mrgreen:

Back