• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Texas Motorcycle Endorsement in Houston

Reaction score
Hello, working fully transplanting from Louisiana. Got my registration and plating done, now time for the license. It appears that Texas doesn't recognize out of state motorcycle endorsements.

"The reciprocity only applies to passenger vehicles, not commercial vehicles or motorcycles."

Anyone know the best way to get the test or whatever? Do y'all only have DMVs here or is there third party DMV branches where you don't have to wait? Is there any particular places that do the tests or is do they all do the moto tests?

I don't know but if there is no reciprocity for motorcycles, I'm going to assume you will need to take the MSF safety course before you can take the riding test at the DMV. I could be wrong, I've seen me do it. Suggest you contact the DMV and ask them. Good luck and welcome to Texas!

Last edited:
That TX doesn't recognize out of state mc endorsements is incredible. Must be fairly recent as my GA endorsement was recognized when I came back home in 2012.

The DVM requires a person to get a Texas license within 90 days of moving to the state as a resident. I did not find anything on having to take a course for an MC endorsement for moving to Texas. Some of the requirements have changed.

I don't know if this is true, but I was told Texas now only transfers motorcycle endorsements from states with mandatory training programs similar to its own. My guess is that there is no MSF-type requirement for an M Class license in Louisiana, so Texas will not carry it over.

By the way, everything I've been able to find online says Texas automatically transfers out-of-state motorcycle endorsements for riders over 18, but I've been hearing contrary stories like the OP more and more often.

Last edited:
NOTE, from the DPS web site on transferring out of state DL..
"The reciprocity only applies to passenger vehicles, not commercial vehicles or motorcycles."
https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/movingtotexas.htm

That said I have HEARD some have been denied and others allowed... Those alwed did not show profe of having taken a motorcycle safety course.
And I know the Texas Admin code allows that a motorcycle safety course taken here in TX is only good for 2 years from date of course to be valid for obtaining a MC endorsement..|

So not sure if the clerks are overreaching and being overly restrictive (not allowing transfer), or they are unknowing or otherwise ignorant of the law or admin instructions that limit the reciprocity to only those states with a mandatory education program for M endorsement.

I cant find it in writing either way..if such a limitation on reciprocity exists its likely buried in an Administrative guide, not Tx Traffic code.(laws)

DPS has refused to respond to my inquires with direct answers, only lining me to the "help" pages on their site for getting a DL...which DO OT specific terms or conditions on transferring an out of state DL M endorsement.

What I need to run this down is an actual person that was denied to transfer a valid out of state DL and endorsement, with office location that denied and name of clerk that denied... If possible also getting an on site explanation (justification) as to why the reciprocity is being denied... Only then is this going to come to an end or be clarified that is is actually on the books as Admin code or law someplace.

Last edited:
What I need to run this down is an actual person that was denied to transfer a valid out of state DL and endorsement, with office location that denied and name of clerk that denied... If possible also getting an on site explanation (justification) as to why the reciprocity is being denied... Only then is this going to come to an end or be clarified that is is actually on the books as Admin code or law someplace.

I'm going to try to do a walk in. Going to go one morning mid week. This week or next week. See how that goes and post up.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6820 using Tapatalk

I think this is what you are looking for: Texas Register #41 PP448, 449. Proposed January 8, 2016 and adopted by the DPS on February 11, 2016.

By gorge I think you found it, well done. :giveup:
So it appears the official standard is take the course here or proven you have taken the course otherwise.
So the next question is.. an MSB8 training certificate issued by a Texas provider is only good for 2 years from the date of issue for licensing use.

Is there a time limit on courses taken outside the state of Texas......

Is there a time limit on courses taken outside the state of Texas......

Hmm I took it about 9 years ago or more. I doubt I can still find the certificate... I guess it's better to keep my LA license until I take the class just to be safe. That way I can keep my endorsement until I make the final switch.

Shouldn't you be able to prove you had a Texas Motorcycle endorsement?

This all seems rather clumsy, if you ask me. I have had an endorsement since I was 20 (I'm now 64). But if I were to get a license outside the state of TX (it could happen), in a state without a program, and then return I would have to take the beginners class to get re-endorsed? Yikes! :eek2:

I would have to take the beginners class to get re-endorsed? Yikes! :eek2:

As of this week you could take the total Control Intermediate license waiver course for "experienced returning riders"

In the near future, that option will go away and the MSF Basic Rider Course 2 will become a license waiver course (we have been told thats a plan anyway)

Yeah TX simplified the rules. MSF or GTFO. :)

If you can find a valid card showing you completed the BRC, that might work. Otherwise, consider it a chance to do a refresher course because there's really no other way.

Yeah TX simplified the rules. MSF or GTFO. :)
Just in case its news to you, It is not limited to MSF courses.
one of two Total Control courses will be accepted for training requirement as will Team Oregon as two examples.
I can not confirm other courses but there are likely others...

I am not 100 % sure on this but I think now days you must do the MSF course (of some type), pass it, and then you go to take your written test at your closest DMV. Used to be in the day that you could have a course to follow and a officer would follow you in a car but they pushed that out the door for liability reasons and the MSF now pretty much is the go to method for making sure you are smart enough to at least operate the bike semi safely while in their presence. I have seen a guy actually get kicked out of the course and to be fair, he absolutely had no business being behind the wheel of a car, much less a bike....

Just in case its news to you, It is not limited to MSF courses.
one of two Total Control courses will be accepted for training requirement as will Team Oregon as two examples.
I can not confirm other courses but there are likely others...

Has that gone live already? I knew it was in the works but I didn't realize it was live.

I just transferred my license from PA to TX in February and my motorcycle endorsement carried over.

Last edited:
Has that gone live already? I knew it was in the works but I didn't realize it was live.

The total control Intermediate license waiver course has been live for some time now. And I know of at least two new Texas residents that used a team Oregon certificate of training to get a Tx DL with class M endorsement.. that may have been a "mistake" on the clerks part, I cant say for sure. :giveup:

From the DPS web site for obtaining a motorcycle license "If an individual has a valid motorcycle license from another state, DPS will waive the motorcycle safety course requirement." http://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/motorcycleLicense.htm

So while international reciprocity agreement may not apply to motorcycles, the DPS statement is, valid MC from another state, no safety course required.

And that in general is what I have found....the only ones in my courses that say they "had" an out of state MC DL that did not transfer, were those with expired out of state DL's
Im betting there is the LAW and Admin guide policies, and then what individual clerks or DL offices do/dont do based on personal understanding (or lack there of) which is what causes the various outcomes we read about in transferring a MC DL

Have you gone?

http://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/motorcycleLicense.htm

041f78ab33958e1511c2777a01a02e53.jpg

I saw this when I tried to see if my German license is worth anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back