• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Interesting topic

ntklr650

Matt6:34
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Last Name
M
A buddy of mine sent me this article and im not sure how I feel about it. On one hand I am excited to see innovation in safety and how well it will be applied. On the other hand it will certainly make expensive bikes more expensiver.
We will see were they go with this but the good thing is I don't have to worry about having a bike equipped with this for many years.

https://newatlas.com/ducati-motorcycle-radar-adaptive-cruise-blind-spot/54271/

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

More stuff to break and fix at expensive prices. I will never own something like that!

My personal thoughts on this topic are that riding a motorcycle is an inherently dangerous activity. You can put whatever bells and whistles you want on one, and you may still get t-boned by a Kia Soul. For that reason I’d rather forego all the electronic gizmos and have a new bike I can actually afford (and that doesn’t have 25 pounds worth of crap I don’t care about to lug around).

Bah! Kia souls are soft, a 3/4 ton pick up got me.
Atgatt!

Curious, do these sensors require a regular cleaning and calibration that can only be done with special tools performed by factory (In Italy) trained mechanics?

For that reason I’d rather forego all the electronic gizmos and have required Driver Education with an emphasis on looking for motorcycles and prison/jail time for drivers who kill/injure others through their negligence.

Fixed it for you... :sun:

Curious, do these sensors require a regular cleaning and calibration that can only be done with special tools performed by factory (In Italy) trained mechanics?

Not the ones we have on the trucks here.
If damaged or defective calibration needs to be done on the new one but otherwise they have been reliable.

Eventually we'll all accept it.

I'm not that old, so airbags were what was being introduced then mandated when I was growing up and driving.

It's been 8 years since I've owned a car that didn't have ABS/traction control/cruise control. Now my dang bike has it!

I work with the technology daily on semi-trucks and it is impressive for sure. Depending on how the radars are designed will dictate how much maintenance is needed. Unless you are off-road the only thing that tends to block them are packed snow and ice as it effects the attenuation.
I highly doubtful this technology on a motorcycle will do anything but provide warnings that an already attentive rider will see at the same time. Any kind of brake activation would be crazy for sure and I don't think the math has been invented to calculate stability of a motorcycle without the rider. We will see where it goes but the motorcycle population is so small comparatively, it will hopefully stay out of the sights of the the feds and their mandates.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Huh. I'm kinda with Mike on this one, although it make me feel all crotchety and stuff. :) I just got ABS on my tiny Honda and it's caused two drops in the dirt already. I WANT that back wheel to slide a little, y'know? Well, I'm learning (slowly) to turn it off when I leave the tarmac. Seems like the radar and adaptive cruise would be nice "sometimes" and really messy other times...and I don't like messy on two wheels if there's four wheels anywhere near me. :eek2:

All this modern safety gear is well and good, but it should not be mandated. Have the extra money and wanna pop for it? Pony up the bucks and enjoy you airbags, radar, etc. But it's ridiculous how all this gizmometry has made even the most minimal vehicle absurdly expensive. When the average working person has to finance some little ****box for five or six years because it costs 20 or 30 Grand, then replace it shortly thereafter, something has gone wrong.

One might suspect that Ducati/Laborghini/Volkswagen are dong this as a technical and marketing test. How does it work and will it sell more motorcycles? I wouldn't blame policy for the situation in the car or motorcycle market. Buyers are demanding top end product. The number of small cars available to the US market is declining because people are buying SUVs and trucks. Ford Fiestas and Honda Fits are two examples of sub $20K cars that should long out live their finance terms while a Ford King Ranch F150 starts off somewhere over $50k. Everybody who bought a Multistrada or a GS could have bought Strom for less money and didn't.

I definitely get what you're driving at, but at the same time it sort of illustrates my point: A Honda fit is $20K.

:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

monthly-offers_side_view.png

Same price as new large motorcycles :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

Back