• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The DR/DRZ Thread

Marc B

Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Last Name
Briggs
Just wondering, I see a good response with the XRs, I always enjoy seeing DRs and DRZs and they are better looking than XRs too.:mrgreen:

Last edited:
Re: Can we have a DR and DRZ thread?

I think you just started one ;-)

Let me kick this thing off with a pair of Lemon Peelers
IMG_0258-1.jpg
IMG_0347-1.jpg

Oh NOOOooo... Scott has the "Kurt Beak" avatar picture now too! And on a DR/DRZ thread!

it has the same motor :trust:

890076007_Cp6jm-L.jpg

Sweet... Engineer Pass.... lucky :clap:

I'll have to settle for Arkansas :)
885890995_aYtzT-L.jpg

(And not to worry about the visible license plate... it fell off on that trip.)

My last bike was an '08 DR650SE with barely 700 miles on it before I traded it in for my '10 Versys. I can't afford more than one bike nor do I have room in my shed but eventually, I will convert my carport to a garage and have room for more toys and will be looking for another DR or DRZ. In the meantime, I will post my leftover farkles I bought for the DR for sale ASAP. If anyone has any interest in a black 4.9 gallon IMS fuel tank, tall Parabellum windshield, skid plate, rear rack, gel seat, and Vapor computer, I have all of these that were on the bike and all worked great. I've just been too busy riding my Versys to post them for sale. :-P

... Vapor computer, I have all of these that were on the bike and all worked great. I've just been too busy riding my Versys to post them for sale. :-P

Just out of curiosity, what are you expecting to get for the Vapor?

I paid $120 for it so make me an offer if you want it. It comes with a special magnet bolt for the speedometer that you swap out for one on the front rotor. It took awhile to get everything dialed in but once done it was really cool looking and nice to have a useable speedometer and other gauges. I can assist with setting it up if needed.

Just out of curiosity, what are you expecting to get for the Vapor?

Hey Coolhand is that the same DR you have now? I thought it had a under fender tail light, head scratch.

We're in!! My wife and I both have a 2000 DR650.....Al

Sure we can...

Chasing-1.jpg

smalljump-1.jpg

onthewayback.jpg

TopoftheHill.jpg

leftside-1.jpg

BoyandI.jpg

That’s all I have at work I can get to.

2003 DRZ S, currently 95.5mm big bore, 13.5:1 CR, 5mm stroked crank. 485CC.

Last edited:

Pretty is in the eye of the (beer)holder. That Dizzer looks pretty to me. These bikes are happiest when they're covered with mud out in the boonies somewhere :)

886573396_qiMZ4-M.jpg

Hey Marc mine originally had the big clunky ABOVE the tail-light OEM crap on it but I switched it out for the DRZ light. It was the first farkle I did ;-)

I think the only remaining farkles I need are:
Re-valved rear shock.
Better bars and a ROX riser.
Hard mount the pegs (get rid of rubber mounts).
Maybe some DirtBagz.

I'll probably go for the 520 chain conversion when it's time as well. And maybe get rid of the handlebar mounted choke :)

If I win the lottery I'll do a Sargent seat after I get the more important ones listed above done.

Current farkle/mod list is all about function. I've done zero engine, carb, airbox or pipe mods because I just don't want the hassle. The current setup has plenty of power for me and is QUIET :). (Although I do covet the weight savings of an FMF pipe...)
IMS Tank & Pingel Petcock
IMS Pegs
Eibach Front Springs and RaceTech Emulators
ProCycle Rear Spring
14T Front Countershaft Sprocket (one of the best mods ever)
Bars raised (Moose?)
ProCycle Bar End Mirrors
Nice cushy grips... don't remember what kind.
Skidplate & Engine Armor
Tusk D-Flex Barkbusters (they really work)
Garmin GPSMap 60CSx on a RAM Mount
DRZ Taillight
ProCycle License Plate Bracket w/Smith Custom's Fiberglass Doubler
Hardigg m2400 Stormcase on an aftermarket (can't remember what) rack.
Currently on Michelin T63s... probably switch back to a D606 rear and ?? front.
Removed upper chain roller and ditched the passenger pegs :)
Bypassed the kickstand and clutch safety switches.
Currently K&N Filter, not sure if I like it.
And finally... non-castellated rear axle lock nut :)

After all this, I think the biggest weakness of the DR is suspension. But I'm not sure that we can expect modern performance out of such an affordable (and dated) design.

Last edited:

I absolutely love mine. I have three sets of wheels so depending on if I am going all dirt, dual sport, or street I can just swap on the wheels and sprockets and do it all.

drz20.JPG

I miss mine :doh:

drz.jpg

It's previous life was...

listpics.asp

Sweet... Engineer Pass.... lucky :clap:

I'll have to settle for Arkansas :)
885890995_aYtzT-L.jpg

(And not to worry about the visible license plate... it fell off on that trip.)

I really do need to get to Arkansas. It's just easier to keep going to Colorado where I am very familiar with the region. Arkansas looks remarkable, though. Maybe I'll tag along on one of y'all's trips someday soon to learn my way around....

We might want to hold onto those E models, bound to become rare as a CR500 which have become gold if it's clean.

Back