• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Long distance traveling questions

Reaction score
First Name
Wayland
Last Name
Cooksey
I am going to be in Boston, Mass. in July, and have already bought a Suzuki V-Strom that I am going to ride home. I have a lot of questions for my more knowledgeable TWT’ers.

First, I want to set-up one of those web based spot tracker “thingies” so that my wife and others can track my progress back to the great state of Texas. What are they called, and what do I have to do to start one? Do I need to upgrade to a smart phone such as an I-phone or an Andriod?

Second, I want to carry a firearm with me, but how does that work since I will be crossing state lines? What is the best way to carry it without getting arrested??? other than the obvious “not getting pulled over for doing something illegal.

Attachments

• V-strom 1.jpg
    V-strom 1.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 155
  • V-strom 2.jpg
    V-strom 2.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 148
First the firearm. You are going to the worst place for firearm carry rights in the US. Mass. does not allow carry in vehicles at all and does not reciprocate with other states permits. There may be a permit process for out of state concealed carry but you are running out of time. A lot of states consider carrying in a vehicle or luggage as concealed carry even if in a locked case. Fascists.

The tracking thingy is called SPOT and you can get them at REI, Best Buy or on the internet. Works separate from any phone. If you have a smart phone you can use an app called Landmark IIRC. For a fee you can check in, similar to the SPOT but it depends on cell service where as the SPOT uses satellites for communication.

Nice strom. Sounds like a fun trip.

Bruce,

Thanks. Yeah, I actually thought about stopping once I was out of Mass to buy a cheap side arm, but still was not sure what the other states purchase or carrying policies were. I am questioning whether the safety of having the pistol was worth the potential legal problems it could cause me. I am more likely to meet a state trooper than have a situation that I would need the pistol, however needing the pistol would mean I REALLY NEED the pistol.

I am very excited for this adventure, and really want to make the most of it. Thanks.

The android does have a gps tracking app but you would need to plug it in as it would drain the battery over time. You can also set how often it updates your position. iPhone may have an app to but not sure.

If it were me, I'd carry the firearm. I'd rather have it than not.....think about it. Keep it concealed and out of mind and it shouldn't be a problem.

Besides some tools......take a tire plug kit and small air compressor. You may also want to take the windscreen off to get a bit more wind on you. Or maybe buy a used one and cut it down. A Miracool vest needs air to work if you choose to wear one.

Bruce,

Thanks. Yeah, I actually thought about stopping once I was out of Mass to buy a cheap side arm, but still was not sure what the other states purchase or carrying policies were. I am questioning whether the safety of having the pistol was worth the potential legal problems it could cause me. I am more likely to meet a state trooper than have a situation that I would need the pistol, however needing the pistol would mean I REALLY NEED the pistol.

I am very excited for this adventure, and really want to make the most of it. Thanks.

Before I head out on a long multi-state ride I always check with the TX DPS reciprocation listing for CHL. If I have questions after that I'll look up the statutes for the state. Most recently I've researched CA, NV, and UT for my summer trip. They are all different. Who would have thought that in Nevada ANYONE can strap on and walk down the Vegas strip without a permit but if you carry one in your suitcase w/o permit you are a felon. :eek2: Just an example. If you were planning on buying a handgun in the near future, you idea of doing so once out of the People's Republic of MA that would be a way to go for the rest of the trip. But once again, check the laws for those states. CHL with reciprocal agreements between states is the way to go. Main reason I went through the CHL process.

Skip the heater, coming out of New England, you will have to pass thru New York state, not a state where you wanna get caught carrying. :doh: I dont think CT is all that gun friendly either if youre gonna go that way.

IIRC, the newer generation SPOT can send text messages, a big plus over the original devices. SPOT can be set up to leave a mark every 10 minutes, (tracking mode) or you can manually enter your location.

Since you'll be running solo, make sure you have an up to date list of emergency contact numbers that you carry on your person somewhere; I have my contact info on a laminated card that I wear around my neck.
A small first aid kit should be a consideration also. :ponder:

Enjoy your trip, watch out for the 4 wheelers in the Northeast. :wary:

It is a funny mix of emotions because I am so used to carrying in Texas that I feel naked without one and cannot comprehend that other states do not think like we do. Yet at the same time I can easily understand that there are a lot of people out there that have no business with firearms. At the same time of all the times I have carried, I have never actually needed it. It is like a security blanket.

My 2Cents. I have a CHL but do not carry often. Skip the fire arm. Over and over I read in the hand gun press about the trouble people get into because they do not understand the laws of places they travel to. The overwhelming advice is follow the law of the place you are in. The odds of needing the firearm are slim. Like a poster above said, it's a security blanket. Don't become a felon over it. If you do, CHL in TX is gone, right to vote , gone, job maybe gone. Is it worth the downside?

Just some thoughts.

Regarding the firearm, checkers www.handgunlaw.us.

You'll really like the SPOT if you get one. Definitely get it ahead of time so that its all set up and you're no learning how to operate it in traffic up in the NE.

I'm in CT. Even if you follow the peaceful journey thing which basically states that if you leave state A and go to state B and can legally carry in both most of New England especially NY/NJ and MA do NOT follow it and will arrest you even if legally locked up, etc. etc. Also, rest stops apparently are state property in NY and thus you break the peaceful journey law anyway. Leave it at home. Bring a knife under 4" and hope for the best! :giveup:

The Federal Traveling law trumps all state laws. Anyone who can own a firearm can carry it in their vehicle locked up and unloaded, out of the driver's reach.

FEDERAL LAW ON TRANSPORTATION OF FIREARMS

A provision of the federal law known as the Firearms Owners’ Protection Act, or FOPA, protects those who are transporting firearms for lawful purposes from local restrictions which would otherwise prohibit passage.

Under FOPA, notwithstanding any state or local law, a person is entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he or she may lawfully possess such firearm to any other place where he or she may lawfully possess it, if the firearm is unloaded and locked out of reach. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Ammunition that is either locked out of reach in the trunk or in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console is also covered. FOPA also seems to provide for necessary stops, like gasoline and rest.

Travelers should be aware that some state and local governments treat this federal provision as an “affirmative defense” that may only be raised after an arrest.

http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/federal/read.aspx?id=59

I'm in CT. Even if you follow the peaceful journey thing which basically states that if you leave state A and go to state B and can legally carry in both most of New England especially NY/NJ and MA do NOT follow it and will arrest you even if legally locked up, etc. etc. Also, rest stops apparently are state property in NY and thus you break the peaceful journey law anyway. Leave it at home. Bring a knife under 4" and hope for the best! :giveup:

No way......you are way too trusting. I don't carry as much as I'd like due to my work. If it wasn't for that....I'd always have it....cage or bike. I guess if I lived in CT....that would be another matter.

If you get a Spot they have a web page that you can let folks track you but jason has built a FREE application called SpotWalla that uses the spot data and does a very nice job of it.

A lot of the folks ridding the IBA that starts tomorrow will be using it also :rider:

http://spotwalla.com/

No way......you are way too trusting. I don't carry as much as I'd like due to my work. If it wasn't for that....I'd always have it....cage or bike. I guess if I lived in CT....that would be another matter.

I may sound like it but I'm really not. Whenever I legally can I carry at least one pistol and one spare mag on me at all times! :rider:

Guns are passé......Krav Maga is the latest rage. Think Moto-MMA.

I fly there on July 2nd so I do not really have time to master ANOTHER fighting style on top of the zero I have already mastered in my 42 years...unless of course screaming and running is a fight style…cause I have a black belt in that.:box:

Here's a deal from SPOT... $50 Rebate

It's for the original version which is a little larger physically, but there seems to be some agreement that it had better battery life. It's what I still use...

Unless you have an FFL, I don't believe you can buy a handgun outside of your home state.

The Federal Traveling law trumps all state laws. Anyone who can own a firearm can carry it in their vehicle locked up and unloaded, out of the driver's reach.
http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/federal/read.aspx?id=59

Doesn't the phrase "Under FOPA, notwithstanding any state or local law" mean "unless the state or local laws say differently?"

In the republic of the U.S.A. state law will generally trump federal law, except when the matter involves more than one state, then the federal courts are there to resolve any dispute between states.

As for tracking your ride you may also want to look into Google latitude for your phone. I leave it running all the time on my iPhone with little affect on the battery and the wife can track me anywhere I have cell coverage.

Unless you have an FFL, I don't believe you can buy a handgun outside of your home state.

Yes you can. As long as the state "reciprocates" with Texas you can conceal carry in that state as long as you follow that state's laws in regard to concealed carry.

You said you are flying into MA? I wouldn't bother trying to take a firearm. It would probably get confiscated and you arrested by trying to enter that state with a firearm.

Buying a firearm after leaving MA is probably not an option either. I'm willing to bet most FFLs in other states aren't going to sell a firearm to someone from out of state. Texas does the same thing.

I posted a little bit of both on my blog...check this thread out and follow the links mentioned. You'll find all the info you need regarding travelling with a firearm. The online tool allows you to enter a list of the states you will be traveling in, and create a listing of the actual laws for each state. I found it pretty useful.

Irregular Trips

The guy I am buying the bike from is a retired Trooper in MA and he said that I would have a strong case in court in I was caught carrying the gun, but that I would be out a lot of money and time, not to mention a strong chance of sitting in a can. I am going to skip the gun and just try to be extra aware of my surroundings and be safe.

I am going to pick up a spot this weekend.

Back