• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

$1800 for just 6 months insurance. ***?

Fairyland was way more than several others I had quote, but YMMV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Progressive is great on our older bikes.
Wifes 2007 Ninja 650R, My DRZ485 SM, and 1998 VTR1000F, all three $128 a year full coverage Zero / 250 deductible comprehensive / collision
But they were insanely high on the new bikes I was looking at.

There never seems to be and rhyme or reason in some cases. All I can suggest is keep getting quotes. Sometimes it helps to talk to an agent rather than doing an online quote. Get the dealer's agent to look too. They have vested interest in finding you a rate lower than half the cost of the bike.

Last edited:
Progressive is great on our older bikes.
Wifes 2007 Ninja 650R, My DRZ485 SM, and 1998 VTR1000F, all three $128 a year full coverage Zero / 250 deductible comprehensive / collision
But they were insanely high on the new bikes I was looking at.

Not surprising. If an old bike is wrecked or stolen, they just total it and pay you a buck three eighty-five. If a new one's messed up it costs 'em big bucks.

Dude, I have three bikes registered with liability and PIP, all with Progressive, total under $100 a year. It gets me a 10% discount at Bikebandit too.

Not surprising. If an old bike is wrecked or stolen, they just total it and pay you a buck three eighty-five. If a new one's messed up it costs 'em big bucks.

Yes I understand value of the bikes in question, but the numbers do not work out to support your position.

The VTR1000F was valued a total last year when it was knocked over in a parking lot at $3500, they were willing to pay $3400.

I see bike wreck est weekly on 5 major brands.. I know what it costs to repair and how often they are totaled.

If my new $12k bike is totaled that is roughly 4 times the cost of my VTR...but the insurance qoute is 44 times as much as insurance on the VTR.

The risk they incur for paying anything is exactly the same.. The risk of paying out more is of course more and I would expect to pay a penalty for that. But not 44 times as much.

The reasoning behind the excessive cost according to progressive insurance agents I have spoke to (meaning only part of the real reasons) is number of claims made on THAT bike in my area and COST of repair. The rider and my record, training means it will only be MORE if I not had that, not that it would every be less. So the base extreme cost has little to do with the rider.. and everything with the bike itself.

Last edited:
I'm considering a FJ-09 and this thread made me get a quote. It wasn't as scary as some on here but way more than I expected.

Some insurance companies rate soley by cc's.
others by bike classification and frequently mis-classify a bike.
some particular models stand out by their higher than normal frequency of claims.
some insurance companies use a combination of all of the above.
Plus the typical age, driving record, zip code, credit score, prior claim history, multi bikes, multi policy, etc.

Comparing insurance is useless, everyone will get different results. Quote as many companies as you feel worth it and make your decision. Doing anything else is wasting time and/or possibly paying much more than you should be.

_

I have also found that the less common a bike is, the higher the premium. It seems they start high and lower the rates as they have more data on a particular model. My KTM 1190 Adventure was twice as much as my GS. Kawasaki didn't do themselves any favors calling that bike a Ninja 1000. That is all the insurance company has to go on.

Last edited:
$3500 a yr for just the ninja.

Wow they must really not like Ninja's!:eek2:

I have full coverage for my Wee-Strom with them for $200 a year which was 1/2 the price of Progressive.

Lesson learned it really pays to shop around, no matter how long you have been with your current insurer.

2 dirt bikes, KTM SMT, and wife's top of the line Spyder RT $1086 a year for full coverage and roadside assistance with Progressive.

I'm looking to get back on the road and have found the cost of insurance on any new bike I like to be cost prohibitive. Used bikes two to three years old of the same models seem to have insurance costs around half the price. I was really wanting an FJ-09, but there's no chance at what insurance would run me.

Some insurance companies rate soley by cc's.
others by bike classification and frequently mis-classify a bike.
some particular models stand out by their higher than normal frequency of claims.
some insurance companies use a combination of all of the above.
Plus the typical age, driving record, zip code, credit score, prior claim history, multi bikes, multi policy, etc.

Comparing insurance is useless, everyone will get different results. Quote as many companies as you feel worth it and make your decision. Doing anything else is wasting time and/or possibly paying much more than you should be.

_

^^^ This

Last time I added a bike to my Progressive policy the yearly rate went down. Go figure. 4 bikes insured for $800 per year, including two BMWs at full coverage. Your results may differ.

When I was a young man, I had a Suzuki 1100E that I rode in a somewhat expeditious manner:trust:...When My insurance increased above my bank payment, I sold it. Never got a ticket on the bike but got 3 in my 280zx.
Fast Forward...
When I got into fast bikes again in the 90s I was over 25 and no tickets but was still paying $800 a year. Even my VStrom 1000 was $700 a year. Once I went to BMW, my insurace dropped in half:ponder: My insurance for full coverage, including $5K acc Coverage is $230 a year for my 2 BMWs. I use Dairyland:chug:

Location also has something to do with it. Us city dwellers pay more than our country cousins.

...Once I went to BMW, my insurace dropped in half:ponder: My insurance for full coverage, including $5K acc Coverage is $230 a year for my 2 BMWs.

Because insurance companies know that all Starbuck locations have surveillance video rolling. Lol

_

I just got a Progressive quote on my GL1000. $77 per year including towing and trip interruption. (Definitely needed with my Honda experiences!)

Clicky: http://learningcenter.statefarm.com/auto/vehicle-rating.html

Hit the motorcycle tab and you can see how State Farm classifies and grades each bike. It is often wrongly repeated that State Farm only looks at CC's. There is a lot more to it.

If it helps, I'm a young 30's married male with good credit and no claims in the last 3 years. I also have other State Farm policies which may or may not get me a discount on my bike insurance. I pay about $280 per year for full insurance on my '09 Bandit 1250 ABS (GSF1250SA) with a $500 deductible.

Last edited:
I have actually had good luck with e-surance which is an allstate company. I had progressive and have had as many as 5 bikes insured and as few as one over the last ten years. I found their rates to be tolerable most of the time. I started shopping Home owners insurance and adding auto policies got me a great discount with the same company, but they did do bikes and my new agent didn't quote progressive policies. I started shopping just bikes and was pleased. I'm an early 30's married, homeowner, w/clean driving record and great credit score.

Huh. I bought a 2015 Triumph Street Triple R X mid-March. Paying $180 per six months. Of course I am 60 years old, and the Trumpet is only a 675cc.

Huh. I bought a 2015 Triumph Street Triple R X mid-March. Paying $180 per six months. Of course I am 60 years old, and the Trumpet is only a 675cc.

Yes much different bike ...and yes I got like quotes when I was asking about the Street Triple.

The Speed TripleR is not treated nearly as nice.
Which sucks as they are at equal risk of crashing or being stolen in my hands.

Back