• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bugs!!

Reaction score
Hey all,

Does anyone out there have a good method or cleaning product for getting rid of all the love bugs from their bikes and helments? I rode from NW Hou out to Fayettville (spelling?) today and was just covered in those darn things when I got home. :| Before leaving on my ride today I thought of something that helped me out. I took some paper towels and sprayed them with lots of Windex and then put them into a very small tupperware dish that fit in my tankbag. shhhhh don't tell my wife that I took some of her tupperware out for a ride today. :lol: These sure did come in handy when stopping for lunch or at a red light.

Kelly

The lovebugs appear to be worse this year than last year, but not as bad as some years past.

I don't like using Windex because it's not "slippery" enough. I feel it allows dirt particles to scratch the paint. I prefer to use a thicker, soap-based cleaner like the car wash soap you get at Wal-mart.

Honda spray polish works well for re-hydrating love bugs. That method can get expensive however.

For really a bad build-up of bugs that has dried, lay wet towels over the surfaces overnight. Let the bike sit outside overnight so the morning dew will keep things hydrated. Clean them off early in the morning.

That's my trick too. Laying wet towels on the bug splatter areas works great!

Also, Plexus or Pledge is very good and not letting bugs stick like glue. If you know there's a lot of bug goo to be expected, give everything a spray and wipe down. You'll be suprized at how easy guts come off.

I've tried many cleaning products and Honda spray cleaner/polish is my overall favorite.

Currently I'm trying a cleaner/wax called Liquid Lustre (the pink stuff) that claims to do it all (It's A Floor Wax! It's A Dessert Topping!).

So far, it seems to work as advertised. Gets the goo off and leaves a decent shine.

Back