• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Garmin sucks

I had a Montana that was under warranty sent overnight on their dime. I had to demand to speak with higher up twice. This took more than one phone call. It should not be that hard, but in the end they took care of me.

I have tried a delarome and Tom Tom and while they function fine I just never liked the interface.

I have tried some of the apps for phones and haven’t made friends with them yet either.

While I find their customer service less than stellar and the firmware frustrating from time to time. If I was buying today I would by a Garmin. I keep hoping for a better mousetrap.

Attachments

• map.jpg
    map.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 127
I love my Garmin when I’m going from 1 place strategy to the other. But any off-road or loading a specific route there useless. Anyone know of a good cheaper GPS that works we’ll loading off-road routes. I use Pocket Earth on my iPhone that I love, but would be nice to have my phone free for other usages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And here it is.....

I use maps for sure. I just like the gps as I don’t have to turn pages or look down to figure out where I am. I usually have paper maps in the event the electronics decide to take a holiday.

I use maps for sure. I just like the gps as I don’t have to turn pages or look down to figure out where I am. I usually have paper maps in the event the electronics decide to take a holiday.

Butler maps are awesome but I like having something that tells me where on the road I am at the current time. I really enjoy pocket earth on my iPhone can download routes track and everything. Even follow along with no service. I also use a inReach but he map is just a tan screen with a red line your following. I would like something like a Garman that I can load a route without spending $400-$500.

Butler maps are awesome but I like having something that tells me where on the road I am at the current time. I really enjoy pocket earth on my iPhone can download routes track and everything. Even follow along with no service. I also use a inReach but he map is just a tan screen with a red line your following. I would like something like a Garman that I can load a route without spending $400-$500.

See the 100 dollar waterproof Chinese GPS. The iGo Primo program on it can accept routes.

I am a map guy also.....guess were old geezers.:trust: Butler being the favorite one.

I find its a lot easier to figure out a route on a paper map, than it is a GPS. But on the bike, a GPS SHOULD be easier to use and follow. If its working. And you've managed to successfully load in the route. I travel with both generally.

There's some common sense to be applied here. We've all heard horror stories about somebody who followed their GPS and ended up at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon in mid winter. When I set out on any trip in which I'm not 100% familiar with the route, I'll punch in a destination - and maybe a route - on my GPS. But not before looking at a map, and not before zooming the GPS out to see the overall route and make sure there isn't something screwy about the routing. From there, I can fix the routing or just ignore it. I've encountered that with Garmin and Magellan, and Tom Tom seems to be the worst in my observation. Ultimately, paper maps still rule.

There's some common sense to be applied here. We've all heard horror stories about somebody who followed their GPS and ended up at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon in mid winter. When I set out on any trip in which I'm not 100% familiar with the route, I'll punch in a destination - and maybe a route - on my GPS. But not before looking at a map, and not before zooming the GPS out to see the overall route and make sure there isn't something screwy about the routing. From there, I can fix the routing or just ignore it. I've encountered that with Garmin and Magellan, and Tom Tom seems to be the worst in my observation. Ultimately, paper maps still rule.

I never let me GPS autoroute me unless I'm just trying to get from point A to B in the quickest time. If I'm interested in an interesting route, I'll design that route and upload it. Even then sometimes its a fail.

A paper map or a computer map (I have a large screen on my computer) works best for planning these routes.

Back