• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KLR 650 Tires

Reaction score
Greetings to all!

I'm looking for some new tires.. I ride mostly street & dirt roads

I don't want the 606's etc I want something that will work great on the street with minimal dirt riding.

I saw the Shinko SR426 -- looks good... any comments or other suggestions

Metzler -- Conti -- Pirelli

I need a place near Conroe -- Huntsville-- Spring that can mount & balance too

Thanks for any help!!

I've got Shinko 705s on mine, I've very happy on the street & they're fine for light (emphasis : light) trail use. I shall probably switch to Continental TKC-80s for improved dirt prowess though.

Can't argue with the Shinko price.

I like Kenda 761's for street, and Dunlop 606's for dirt. You can mount and balance them yourself, just get some spoons and be careful! :sun:

Can't comment on many, but I went with the shinko 700s over the 705s that a lot of folks are using. I take it all the way over to on the outer blocks pretty often and it feels good for a dual sport tire. Always been on cruisers and sport bikes, but I got out of those when dunlop 207s were all the rage so my experience may be a little dated.

I'm on TKCs now, but will be switching to a Kenda 761 rear for an upcoming road (paved and gravel) trip. The TKC front reportedly wears fine and gives excellent traction for a knobby and will stay on. Also, it stays hooked up better in the loose stuff, where it doesn't matter so much that the back end is kinda loose. Best of luck.

I installed the MEFO Explorers last year and have been really pleased. 50/50 tire (for whatever that's worth) that is wearing great although a little squirrely in the mud.

I'll cast another "aye" vote for the Shinko 705s. Getting good mileage on pavement (running 32psi) and they do just fine on the dirt roads. I am very happy with the tires and very good value, too.

I have over 17,000 on my '08 KLR. After the wearing out the stock tire, I put on a Bridgestone TW22. Now I'm on my second one with close to 6,000 miles on it and shows very little wear. It's great on the street and in dirt.

0000_Bridgestone_TW22_Trail_Wing_Dual_Sport_Rear_Tire_--.jpg

I"ve been running Avon Gripsters for years now and have had good luck with them. I usually get 8 K out of them easy.
They make a decent back road tire and a great street tire.
Knobbys they arn't, but they will do some good dirt if your not Motocrossing.
Coming from a crotch rocket background I tend to lean more than your average Dual Sport Rider. So these make a great street tire for my KLR.
I get them from Happy Trails in Utah. $124 shipped to my door in usually 3 to 4 days.

I've done the TAT and CDR trails on them.

avon_gripster_rear_m.jpg

http://www.happy-trail.com/Products/Avon-AM24-13080T17-Gripster-Rear__305215.aspx

Oh and I've tried nearly all the other brands and types of Dual Sport Tires there are out there on my KLR and always come back to the Gripsters.

I"ve been running Avon Gripsters for years now and have had good luck with them. I usually get 8 K out of them easy.
They make a decent back road tire and a great street tire.
Knobbys they arn't, but they will do some good dirt if your not Motocrossing.
Coming from a crotch rocket background I tend to lean more than your average Dual Sport Rider. So these make a great street tire for my KLR.
I get them from Happy Trails in Utah. $124 shipped to my door in usually 3 to 4 days.

I've done the TAT and CDR trails on them.

avon_gripster_rear_m.jpg

http://www.happy-trail.com/Products/Avon-AM24-13080T17-Gripster-Rear__305215.aspx

Oh and I've tried nearly all the other brands and types of Dual Sport Tires there are out there on my KLR and always come back to the Gripsters.

+1 on the KLR now...rode thru Alaska on a set on my R100GS

Only issue I found was they must be a smaller diameter as the speedo reads higher then with regular knobbies when checked against the GPS

I have over 17,000 on my '08 KLR. After the wearing out the stock tire, I put on a Bridgestone TW22. Now I'm on my second one with close to 6,000 miles on it and shows very little wear. It's great on the street and in dirt.

0000_Bridgestone_TW22_Trail_Wing_Dual_Sport_Rear_Tire_--.jpg

Are those the stock TrailWings, otherwise known as DeathWings?

Back