• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KTM 1190 ADVENTURE

My only skepticism, does it still take 4 hours to change the oil?????

I have not changed the oil and filter on the 1190 but I would not think it is harder then the 950 . I can change my 950 oil and filer plus check the 2 oil screens in less then and hour .

Dave

Out of curiosity I just did an insurance quote for this bike. $873 a year, not bad considering the performance and bike's cost. Three years ago I quoted a brand new B-King (Hayabusa motor) I was getting OTD for $7,500 and insurance was $2,200 a year.

_

I haven't really followed KTM adventure bikes. How is the long term reliability? I have heard of dozens of 100,000 mile GS's, but for the life of me I can't recall the mention of a single KTM in this range. As I said, I haven't really paid attention and there could be hundreds, just wondering.

Don't you only keep bikes for 20k or 30k miles anyway? :giveup: :duck: :mrgreen:

How long is the wait to buy the new 1190s? Are they difficult to find right now?

Kojack, both models are at KTM street dealerships now. Not all KTM dealers are authorized street dealers though. No wait or shortage of the bikes at this time, although reviews like what Cycle World did may begin to change that. I am not in a financial position to lay down 17 large on the R model, but I would in a heartbeat. Consider that KTM has only been manufacturing real street bikes since 2004 in the USA and what they have come up with with the 1190 platform is amazing. It crushes the BMW GSA (yes the new one) in every area that I care about.

This modern day and age and not one of you Orange Kool Aid drinkers have bothered to post THIS:
[ame="http://youtu.be/lpYVmn3SFmI"]KTM 1190 Adventure Features & Benefits - English - YouTube[/ame]

Impressive...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWIZfYQhgMc"]Chris Birch gives KTM1190 Wings! - YouTube[/ame]

..... Three years ago I quoted a brand new B-King (Hayabusa motor) I was getting OTD for $7,500 and insurance was $2,200 a year.
Late response I know, but that's why you always shop around no matter how good of a deal your insurance company has given you in the past. I pay less than $90 a month on three 1000+cc bikes, B-King included.

I picked up an R model last week and put 550 miles on her that weekend. Some initial observations:

I had to true the front wheel the first day. No comment will be made about the competency of the service department pertaining to their diagnostic skills.

The heat issue is over rated. Maybe the test riders never rode a MOCO bike in August, lol. I did order the Wings heat shields prior to purchase and will install them anyways.

Oil change is a breeze, nothing like the 950.

The power delivery in Street mode is amazingly smooth. The engine really likes to spin. At 6K rpm things really start happening.

Handling is great considering the 21" front wheel. All is well until Mach 1 then that tall front wheel becomes a liability. In turns its not so bad. I imagine the 19' on the regular model would be a real blast. Much I am sure is due to the Conti Attack tires. A 50/50 tread pattern tire will replace these in the near future. I do want to keep them on for a while to gauge the wear. They would be excellent replacements for for my GSA.

I'll be taking her to the dirt today, more like maintained gravel county roads. I will probably only do 50 miles or so. From what I have read the air box fix for the 14 models has not solved the issue. I will do a check after the ride. I have ordered the prescribed fix, that being the Uni Filter.

The first two days I left the suspension on all the standard settings. I made sag and dampening adjustment the other day and will see how it works out today.

Overall I am pleased with the ride.

I picked up an R model last week and put 550 miles on her that weekend. Some initial observations:

I had to true the front wheel the first day. No comment will be made about the competency of the service department pertaining to their diagnostic skills.

The heat issue is over rated. Maybe the test riders never rode a MOCO bike in August, lol. I did order the Wings heat shields prior to purchase and will install them anyways.

Oil change is a breeze, nothing like the 950.

The power delivery in Street mode is amazingly smooth. The engine really likes to spin. At 6K rpm things really start happening.

Handling is great considering the 21" front wheel. All is well until Mach 1 then that tall front wheel becomes a liability. In turns its not so bad. I imagine the 19' on the regular model would be a real blast. Much I am sure is due to the Conti Attack tires. A 50/50 tread pattern tire will replace these in the near future. I do want to keep them on for a while to gauge the wear. They would be excellent replacements for for my GSA.

I'll be taking her to the dirt today, more like maintained gravel county roads. I will probably only do 50 miles or so. From what I have read the air box fix for the 14 models has not solved the issue. I will do a check after the ride. I have ordered the prescribed fix, that being the Uni Filter.

The first two days I left the suspension on all the standard settings. I made sag and dampening adjustment the other day and will see how it works out today.

Overall I am pleased with the ride.

Currently at 1100+ miles on the bike. Breaking in the engine has been completed at 600 miles as far as I'm concerned. TKC 80s and a UNI Filter were installed at 550 miles. As the lyrics from the Metallica song Wanderer sound out through my Scala G9 I turn off HWY 30 onto Davis Rd, stop the bike and set the ABS to Off-Road mode and the power setting to Off-Road. Off-Road mode = destroy the TKC. It allows two revolutions of the rear tire to one of the front. Off-Road ABS allows locking up the rear tire while allowing you to grab all the front brake without incident that you want. The suspension is quite remarkable, on road it is harsh off road it performs awesome. I also added the Wings heat shields they help, but I am not sure they are even needed. Added a Wolfman tailbag and tankbag for tools and supplies. Very impressed with the bike. Another rear tire has already arrived. May need to find an alternative.

Last edited:
Currently at 1100+ miles on the bike. Break has been completed at 600 miles as far as I'm concerned. TKC 80s and a UNI Filter were installed at 550 miles. As the lyrics from the Metallica song Wanderer sound out through my Scala G9 I turn off HWY 30 onto Davis Rd, stop the bike and set the ABS to Off-Road mode and the power setting to Off-Road. Off-Road mode = destroy the TKC. It allows two revolutions of the rear tire to one of the front. Off-Road ABS allows locking up the rear tire while allowing you to grab all the front brake without incident that you want. The suspension is quite remarkable, on road it is harsh off road it performs awesome. I also added the Wings heat shields they help, but I am not sure they are even needed. Added a Wolfman tailbag and tankbag for tools and supplies. Very impressed with the bike. Another rear tire has already arrived. May need to find an alternative.
1100 miles and in need of third rear tire...you are trying to compete with SlowOldGuy:trust: you are bringing this to RTB:trust:

I'll have a fresh set of TKC 80s on for the rally. I will be trailering though. I still have the Conti Attacks with around 600 miles on them. Saving them for an Arkansas trip this fall.

The UNI Filter I installed was a temporary fix for the poorly designed air box until a better solution became available. I went with PowerCell filter pods and was able to retain the factory air box for water control. Other designs required complete removal of the box.

I first had to remove the air box for some minor modifications
IMG_2911_zpswc9gkk2y.jpg
[/URL]

Filter Pods installed. Cover of air box is still used however the lack of it sealing is no longer an issue since the filter pods attach directly to the PowerCell velocity stacks.

IMG_2916_zpsfmavu7b1.jpg
[/URL]

I lost 5 lbs. replacing the stock exhaust with an Akrapovic slip on.

IMG_2979_zps9eia14du.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Also decided to remove a bunch of unnecessary crap.

IMG_2978_zpsmdqomdfb.jpg
[/URL]

A new 16 tooth front sprocket just arrived last week. Maybe 6th gear will be useable. Actually the bike was designed for the 16 tooth and not the 17 that made it onto the final production bike.

Performance has not changed after the replacement and removal of the afore mentioned parts.I do have piece of mind that the air filtering system will work and the Akrapovic pipe has a deeper growl. I am still enjoying this over sized dirt bike immensely.

Last edited:
Oh Boy! Just when I was beginning to convince myself that I didn't really need any thing bigger than a 500cc dual sport, for as little street riding as I actually do. Now I'm day dreaming of extended dual sport rides deep into Mexico, running the continental divide up into Canada & back. Totally drooling after watching that last video. Thanks for all the wicked inspiration Dave... I think.

Buddy at work bought one of these. Two weeks into owning it, something in the electronic suspension went bad. Fast forward over a month of being in the shop and it was finally fixed.

Back