• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Messed up magneto cover (DR650) - Resolved

I could be wrong but....my recollection is the stock plugs were never polished/shiny. Whoever replaced it may have put red threadlocker on it.

You have a point, anything is possible... Hit it with a heat gun, get it to 200-250c that will loosen any anaerobic thread lock likely to have been used.

Where are you at?
Your welcome to bring it over, I'll remove the cap while you get your vehicle turned around. It will be ready by the time your ready to load up and go back home.
>
Not kidding :giveup:
Thank you for the gracious offer. I would love to have a professional work on this. However, given that this shouldn't be that big of a deal and I'm 2.5 hours south of you without an easy method to get the bike to you, I'll keep trying to get this done here at home.

I could be wrong but....my recollection is the stock plugs were never polished/shiny. Whoever replaced it may have put red threadlocker on it.

I brought in someone with actual mechanic skills (my BIL) and his words were "Dang (language cleaned up) this thing is tight! It didn't even budge." We are wondering if the rubber o-ring is missing or has deteriorated and allowed the cover to tighten. Here is a picture of the new cover. It was advertised as a Suzuki branded part. You can see that the finish is nothing like the cover currently on the bike.

new-cover_.jpg

Guaranteed there is no thread lock on it by me. This is my old bike and I had problems with the previous cover so I was very careful putting the new one on. Part came as a Suzuki part number from Bike Bandit.

Thank you for the gracious offer. I would love to have a professional work on this. However, given that this shouldn't be that big of a deal and I'm 2.5 hours south of you without an easy method to get the bike to you, I'll keep trying to get this done here at home.

I brought in someone with actual mechanic skills (my BIL) and his words were "Dang (language cleaned up) this thing is tight! It didn't even budge." We are wondering if the rubber o-ring is missing or has deteriorated and allowed the cover to tighten. Here is a picture of the new cover. It was advertised as a Suzuki branded part. You can see that the finish is nothing like the cover currently on the bike.

new-cover_.jpg

This photo is the OEM DR650 cover...

The one you're trying to remove was likely for the Boulevard S40. It had a polished stator cover. Another possibility is dissimilar metal corrosion. In any case, heat is still your friend.

...In any case, heat is still your friend.

I don't have the equipment to heat it up so will reach out to the machine shop at work and some other local mechanics that might be in a position to help.

This cover is now like the boulder in the mining camp's stream that Hull Barret was trying to break in the movie Pale Rider. "...it's like this rock and me have kind of an agreement. I'm going to do it in, or it's going to do me in."

Like Marquez stated :

My experience is it not thread binding, it is the cap edge seating against the case, and perhaps some binding in threads as well...I Just know , no amount of penetration fluid has ever helped...and once the center hex is damaged, it takes literally longer to walk over and chuck op a drill bit then it does to drill a small divot and loosen it with a single strike of the punch and hammer.. Less time if you use a chisel but you have to get the angle right and be confident to hit the chisel hard. Words apparently are not conveying how easy this is....
To each his own, do what works for you :giveup:

It is easy to get out. Same thing happened to me.
I drilled a hole in it, not all the way through, and used punch to break it loose.

When you go back in with new one, put some zinc based antiseize on that rubber gasket, just a bit along the outside of it where that flange is.

You do not use lock-tight on it, you have to take it off maintenance.
Which for me every 3 months or so.

Does not need to be tight, just snug.
What happens is you compress the o-ring and the flange of the plug binds against the cover.

Try this: Take a drift punch and hammer and with medium force, tap around the parameter of the plug several passes. Find the next size SAE Allen wrench and drive it into the hole and see if you can spin it out.

Last edited:
@aspr rode over this evening and in less than 2 hours had removed the case cover, removed the stuck plug, cleaned off the old gasket, removed the shavings there were just inside the case from my expert drilling, reinstalled the case cover, installed a new plug, adjusted the valves, installed new spark plugs, and identified and corrected the fact that the carburetor was not fastened tightly enough. I can't say enough about how nice this was for @aspr to take time away from his family on a Friday night to help me.

His weapon of choice to remove the plug was a cold chisel and hammer.
20190816_182809.jpg

Luckily for me, I hadn't drilled through the case, just the plug.
20190816_183608.jpg

New plug installed.
20190816_203125.jpg

@aspr rode over this evening and in less than 2 hours had removed the case cover, removed the stuck plug, cleaned off the old gasket, removed the shavings there were just inside the case from my expert drilling, reinstalled the case cover, installed a new plug, adjusted the valves, installed new spark plugs, and identified and corrected the fact that the carburetor was not fastened tightly enough. I can't say enough about how nice this was for @aspr to take time away from his family on a Friday night to help me.

His weapon of choice to remove the plug was a cold chisel and hammer.
View attachment 241459

Luckily for me, I hadn't drilled through the case, just the plug.
View attachment 241460

New plug installed.
View attachment 241461
Happy to help! You have a very nice stable of bikes!!
Did you put anything on new plug threads? Just curious
light coat of oil, and made sure not to overtighten(common occurence on timing plugs)

Check this out made by Werks the clutch basket shop. . Stops idle hammer on DL1000. Replaces magneto cover. I am not interested. They say hammer hurts nothing. Listed at $189.00

Things are looking good. Put new oil, air filter, and gas in it. Fired right up, and after adjusting the pilot screw and idle screw a bit, it seems to be running just fine. Will take it out for a spin later today. Thanks to all who chimed in with recommendations. @dannyboy, you were right. A cold chisel got the job done.

Back