• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Choosing tubes

cwadej

Reaction score
How does one select the proper tube for their tire size?

Is there a magic formula, tribal knowledge, set standard?

Google....LOL

I typically use one of the little cheat sheet charts that most tire websites have. I'm pretty sure RockyMountainATV has one listed on their site.

I'm hoping to never need one, but you never know. I'll be sealing the rear wheel on my Tiger this week. Front is a different animal as it has no "safety lip" on the wheel.

Evidentley most rims have a lip to keep the bead from falling into the center.

tubeless-graphic.jpg

I'm trying to locate a 2.5x21" rim to have laced to my hub.

this is the same as my rear, you can see the "lips"
th_reartirespokeseal004.jpg

are you sure of that size? the widest front rim I have found so far is 2.15.
did find rim tape for doing a tubeless conversion!

are you sure of that size? the widest front rim I have found so far is 2.15.
did find rim tape for doing a tubeless conversion!

no, I'm not sure about the size. Woody's says the Sun rims, which do have the lip, are too soft for off road, so they wont lace them. I guess I need to find a Sun rim and someone to lace it to my hub for me.

I don't see a sun rim listed over 2.15 wide, they are also 40 spoke, need to count your spokes.

How does one select the proper tube for their tire size?

Is there a magic formula, tribal knowledge, set standard?

Generally go by the section, rim diameter, and valve type and location. Cross section ratio often isn't even given in sizing. For instance, if you have a 130 tire on a 18 inch rim, you'll need a 130 tube for an 18 inch rim. More than likely the numbers on the tube will show a range, such as 4.75-5.35 120-140. That would be your size.

Woody's says the Sun rims, which do have the lip, are too soft for off road, so they wont lace them.

I'm all about doing your own thing, but these guys make a living with wheels and rims and I would trust their judgement unless I had an extraordinary reason not to.

Oh yeah, the safety lip is a pseudo-rimlock. It's there to keep the bead from falling into the dropcenter if you have a total loss of air pressure.

Back