• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Where is the BEST Chicken Fried Steak in Texas?

I went to Kelley's in Alvin this evening. The CFS was very good. There was just a small amount of breading without CFS in it. The meat was tenderized nicely with one or two bites a little bit chewy. The gravy was nice and thick, not runny like this afternoon. It was more reasonable as well. With 3 sides it was $8.29, admittedly on the daily dinner special. Much better than the $10.49 at HH. Kelley's has locations in Alvin, Pearland, League City and a couple other locations.

That looks like a place I need to try. Sad to hear you did not like HH. Sometimes it depends on who cooks. Glad the second place was better.:eat: KP

Kelly's is good! I haven't been down there in years but the Tuesday Breakfast meet up goes there a lot.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Kelley's has some good food, but the location here in League City doesn't do a good CFS. Typically, a lot of breading with no meat, extremely chewy, and even hard to cut (with a steak knife). Some of the other menu items they offer can be off at times also. I've eaten at the Alvin and Park Place locations, both are much better. Yes, we do the Tuesday breakfast here (LC) sometimes, and they haven't botched that up yet.

Yup. Found a good one on my scouting trip this weekend in Scotland, Texas. Thad and Paisley 's . Very good. More traditional CFS than Mary's but one of the best of that style .

pypa2ete.jpg

Now, for an interesting twist, Veriest had his smothered in chili and cheese . ¡Ole!

a8u5ajun.jpg

Mish-Mish here on TWT took us to one of her favorite places she went to on vacation when she was growing up called Neal's Dining Room in Concan, Texas. Several of us went out this weekend to ride the Three Sisters (Twisted Sisters) and after a long day of riding Saturday, we stopped at Neal's for dinner. The special was CFS and what better opportunity to add to Drew's thread. Came with REALLY good corn-on-the-cobb, creole green beans, au gratin potatoes, and bread (sorry didn't get in the picture) for $10.95. Not sure how much extra the tea was, but it was a BIG glass that they didn't let get more than half empty. Steak was good, great flavor, and good texture. Cream gravy was also very good and not the least bit runny. Anyone riding the Sisters definitely needs to check this place out.
20970 Hwy. 127 at Frio River
Concan, Texas
830-232-5813
http://www.nealsdiningroom.com/

Neals_CFS_zpsc1b29249.jpg

Decisions decisions decisions. I'm being taken out to dinner tomorrow evening and have to choose between Kelley's for a CFS and our favorite Mexican restaurant we haven't been to in a few weeks.

Neal's in Concan was the featured eatery on the last episode of Texas Bucket List on the local NBC station.

Yup. Found a good one on my scouting trip this weekend in Scotland, Texas. Thad and Paisley 's . Very good. More traditional CFS than Mary's but one of the best of that style .

pypa2ete.jpg

Now, for an interesting twist, Veriest had his smothered in chili and cheese . ¡Ole!

a8u5ajun.jpg

Do you know if they are open Sundays?

Huh. I took a pic of something.

a8ezahys.jpg

hyzebyqe.jpg

Throw those up on the big screen and see if there are any clues .

I haven't had many to compare it to in TX but I'll toss out a vote for Dahlia Cafe just off 29 in Liberty Hill. $9.99 with two sides and excellent with the Jalapeño cream gravy.

I haven't had many to compare it to in TX but I'll toss out a vote for Dahlia Cafe just off 29 in Liberty Hill. $9.99 with two sides and excellent with the Jalapeño cream gravy.

:photo:? Hill Country Cafe is also good. Bad thing for M@Gs is Dahlia is closed on Sundays.

Any good cafes with CFS near the National Forest in New Waverly? :ponder: Headed there now for some dirty business. :flip:

Travel Diva

Any good cafes with CFS near the National Forest in New Waverly? :ponder: Headed there now for some dirty business. :flip:

Travel Diva

I believe someone mentioned Waverly House Restaurant on 75 before serving CFS. Never been there myself,let us know if you try it.

Not going to happen this time. Got a late start and doing Jack in the Box on the fly.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Yep, Waverly House Restaurant at the corner of FM 1375 and Hwy 75. FM 1375 to the west of I-45 goes into the SHNF and is the way to the trails. Turn east (right) after exiting I-45 and it dead-ends into the Waverly House Restaurant. Been nearly a year since I've been there, but I'm sure it hasn't changed. I believe they have a buffet option for lunch.

MY6 and I will keep it in mind for next trip to the forest. Thx!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

:photo:? Hill Country Cafe is also good. Bad thing for M@Gs in Dahlia is closed on Sundays.

If this is Hill Country Cafe in Johnson City, it had pretty good CFS the many times i've eaten there since 2003. It was a regular stop when I had to travel from Ft Hood to Ft SH for meetings.

If this is Hill Country Cafe in Johnson City, it had pretty good CFS the many times i've eaten there since 2003. It was a regular stop when I had to travel from Ft Hood to Ft SH for meetings.

This one is in Liberty Hill near the railroad tracks.

In the new episode of Texas Country Reporter they featured Rock Inn Cafe in Seymour, TX. with made from scratch CFS and made from scratch gravy plus completely homemade pies to finish it off.

Had a good CFS at Willow Creek Cafe in Mason Texas at the monthly meet and greet this Sunday. Check it out if your riding in that area and tell Angela that Drew sent you.

Ate at Linda's Southern Kitchen in Granbury yesterday. Very good cfs. Sides were great as well.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

I'll throw an Oklahoma one in here because I know some of you head up that way at times.

These are from Kendall's Restaurant off I-35 in Noble, just south of Norman. They are known for their chicken fry and cinnamon rolls.

10341619_10152249922997968_1621639395380759286_n.jpg

This is their "challenge" meal
10376830_10152250039162968_677520331313385436_n.jpg

I'll throw an Oklahoma one in here because I know some of you head up that way at times.

These are from Kendall's Restaurant off I-35 in Noble, just south of Norman. They are known for their chicken fry and cinnamon rolls.

10341619_10152249922997968_1621639395380759286_n.jpg

This is their "challenge" meal
10376830_10152250039162968_677520331313385436_n.jpg

Man that is something else. Putting it on the burner to ride to eat someday.:rider: Oklahoma here we come. Might need a motel room afterwards to take a nap after eating all that CFS. It looks amazing.:eat: I see where it is now on the map right below OK city. 81 from north Texas to 39,then east to Lexington. Finally straight up to Noble. The wheels are turning.

Back