• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Another reason why our country is broke

“Quieted, all-wheel-drive capability at extended range in a lightweight, rugged, single-track vehicle could support the successful operations of U.S. expeditionary and special forces in extreme terrain conditions and contested environments,” said Wade Pulliam, manager of advanced concepts at Logos Technologies. “With a growing need to operate small units far from logistical support, the military may increasingly rely on adaptable, efficient technologies like this hybrid-electric motorcycle.”

Yeah, that's what the salesman hopes. At least for now it's only designated to smaller spec-ops teams instead of whole divisions, etc. They've used KLR's before.

The best stealth mode of transportation is by foot!
by foot?
[soapbox]
Kind of... if your talking a short distance with limited approach load, and no mission task to extract material or persons and the time to target that allows moving on foot..

But when you're inserted 10..20...40...60k from the target, need to be at the RP in 22 min, weight 168, and your kit weighs 90lb or better... a mode of transport other than LPC (Leather Personnel Carrier) is required.

There are many reason the country is broke... Providing the best equipment we can develop for our Military should not, need not be one of them.
[/soapbox]

I want a stealth dirt bike. That way I can ride closed trails :giveup:

They should talk to KTM, who already has an electric dirt bike. I bet they could turn down the power and turn up the range.

One thing they mention that I agree with is the quiet running. I don't know why that means electric and I wish there was a plan to build a KLR or DR quiet running exhaust. One thing that I have noticed about dual sports is that they are louder than the early days, two strokes excepted, than now. And I really like a quiet bike offroad. Lots of anti-dirt people are more anti-noise than anti-biker.

Seems quiet tech could be made efficient and cheaply done to the benefit of many of us.

I want a stealth dirt bike. That way I can ride closed trails :giveup:

They should talk to KTM, who already has an electric dirt bike. I bet they could turn down the power and turn up the range.

The article says the mil. wants a hybrid--runs on both gas and battery. So, that the bike will have both long range capabity and then switch off the IC-motor and switch on the e-motor for stealth operation.

You're not going to find 110V outlet in the middle of Taliban infested neighborhoods. And then sit their for 2 hours to charge up your KTM.

by foot?
[soapbox]
Kind of... if your talking a short distance with limited approach load, and no mission task to extract material or persons and the time to target that allows moving on foot..

But when you're inserted 10..20...40...60k from the target, need to be at the RP in 22 min, weight 168, and your kit weighs 90lb or better... a mode of transport other than LPC (Leather Personnel Carrier) is required.

There are many reason the country is broke... Providing the best equipment we can develop for our Military should not, need not be one of them.
[/soapbox]

If we are going to use the money for our military (which I'm all for, but I'm also bias), lets do it wisely. If you look at the range of electric cars, they average around 65 miles. Even the Zero FX is 30-70 miles, but that's in the city and I'm guessing that's with a rider that's under 200 lbs (no gear). So sure, they'd get you there, but not back. And there isn't enough room to add a motor that would be large enough to do any good when it come time to get.

I could see this being good for something like a Scorpion. That way you can still have a good size engine for when you need speed and range, but not a motorcycle.

The article says the mil. wants a hybrid--runs on both gas and battery. So, that the bike will have both long range capabity and then switch off the IC-motor and switch on the e-motor for stealth operation.

You're not going to find 110V outlet in the middle of Taliban infested neighborhoods. And then sit their for 2 hours to charge up your KTM.

That and with my point of hp to weight, I just can't see it as a good idea. You definitely wouldn't use it for extracting people.

That and with my point of hp to weight, I just can't see it as a good idea. You definitely wouldn't use it for extracting people.

Problem is you don't know if something is really a good/bad idea unless you build it and test it out in the real world.

I think the budget for R&D is actually small. Like about 10%. We are going broke via other means.

Sounds like they need to build something that is easy to manufacture, inexpensive, hard to break and small. mmmm :ponder:
Where could they look, what design would they use?

M38A1_etala.jpg

and you can run it on almost any fuel that burns.

The heck you say. Use proven reliable old technology in today's modern military? Good luck. Besides where would the troopers plug in their laptops and iphones? It would never work and since they don't come in camo....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, but what will be delivered will be a 600lb monster with overly complex electronics and a high failure rate at $225,000 a copy. Our troops will either ditch them as soon as possible or spend their own time modifying them so they might actually be useful. Meanwhile the enemy will be using a beater bike or a mid-80's dirt bike.

Of course, this assumes that we'll still have an army. There are some that would love to gut the whole defense industry and use that money in other places. :eek2:

Back