• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

? for those that have sold bikes

I rode down to Houston, handed over the money and signed paperwork on the Tenere, all before ever turning the key in the ignition.

Now to be fair it was bought from a long time forum member, who happens to be a very stand-up guy. So while my case may be different than most, I still never even started the bike before I paid for it.

Lol. Now I test rode my Strom before ever offering money, despite the fact that I've known Danielle for over a decade. Hahaha!

Sent from my handheld universal data mining enabler

I've bought and sold without test rides. I would not buy from a stranger without a test ride though. When I sold, it was to a friend/co-worker in good faith. When I bought it was from a fellow forum member that invited me to his house and answered any questions without hesitation. His house and the rest of his equipment were in TOP NOTCH shape, so I didn't have any issues with trust.

If I were selling my Ninja 250, and the buyer was or had with him an experienced licensed rider with current insurance who arrived in full gear on a motorcycle I'd let them ride it around the block.

If, on the other hand, I was selling my FJR (which I'm NOT) I'd need all of the above, cash in hand, copies of the DL and insurance, a video showing the potential inspecting the bike, and a signed release clearly stating that in the event of a single scratch on the FJR that I would hold the cash until either the buyer completed the sale or the bike was restored to it's pre-test state.

That's because the FJR is a great bike, but it's very easy to drop and the plastic is expensive and very time consuming to replace. DAMHIK.

In all cases I would retain the license plate.

The TxDMV site says not to do that for motorcycles, but based on my experience privately selling a few used cars I can pretty much guarantee that the buyer would much rather not pay the sales tax or be responsible for tolls etc. Again, DAMHIK.

I have demonstrated a bike I'm selling by riding it myself and also asked sellers to ride the bike they are selling. There is a lot you can tell from simply watching someone else start, pull away, shift, turn around, ride back and brake. Really don't see the need for a joy ride, which I've been guilty of, too.

I have only sold motorcycles through TWT or to a friend. I would not buy a used motorcylcle I had not ridden, so I assume the same from people coming to see a bike I have for sale. So when I am contacted for an appointment, do take a look at the TWT profile, but I do put a lot of trust in people on this site. My first purchase was a bike in Dallas (I live in Houston) and the seller lent me his Kendon trailer to bring the bike home. That made quite an impression on me on who is typically on this site and in a back-handed way a nod to Scott (Tourmeister) and his management of this site.

If you do sell a bike through this site, I think a donation to the site is appropriate.

Last edited:
Just bought a bike a couple of hours ago. Asked the previous owner if he wanted to hold the cash while I took it for a ride, but he said no - just understand its yours if you drop it. And I was good with that.

In looking back I don't believe I have ever required a buyer to do anything to take one of my bikes for a test ride. My bikes were all insured and although I'd be out some coin for the deductible if stolen or crashed I'd rather roll that way than live life worrying about the small stuff. That said, only about half of the new owners even requested a ride, the others just bought the bikes.

Besides what has been suggested a common practice is test with cash in hand, you crash you bought it.

Yeah, this.

I've never done a test ride as a private seller, I generally just sell bikes on consignment at dealers now. But yeah, general rule would be cash in hand, and some evidence the person can ride. None of the bikes in my garage are beginner-friendly.

I've done test rides as a buyer, and generally showing up with gear and an envelope full of cash gets you a test ride.

Back