• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Battery voltage

Reaction score
The more I think about this the more I think the battery is on its way out. I have a voltage gauge on the fairing so I see it often which reads 14.7-14.8 when riding normally which I think is a bit wee high. So yesterday while putting the bike back together after a air filter cleaning, etc. I turned the key and with the lights off (starter button held) I see 12.2-12.3 ish and if I let go and let the HID light and stay on I see 12.0-12.1. Is this normal!? Technically its at least 5 years old since its a 09 bike so maybe its time!? The bike does start normal and what not but hate to be left in the middle of nowhere over a stupid reason! :giveup:

EDIT: Since somebody will ask when was it charged last, etc. The bike was trickled all last week when the temps dropped a good amount. Then rode for about 60 miles without turning off on Saturday then left in garage attached to house since then got the above readings yesterday.

Good Morning Tazman,

I've used this method: Note leaving the high beam on for 3 min. seems excessive to me IMHO. From what I've learned about acid cell batteries is you need to test them under load to determine their capability.

1. Make sure battery is fully charged.
2. Turn on high beams for three minutes to eliminate "surface charge" in battery.
3. Put a Voltmeter on battery.
4. Volts should be in the 12.3 volt(V) to 12.6V range.
5. Perform load test A - turn on ignition/headlight but don't start engine. Voltmeter should show at least 11.2V. If reading is less than 10V, replace the battery.
6. Perform load test B - watch voltmeter while starting motorcycle. If volts dip below 10V, during the starting process, replace the battery.

Also note from MCNews article (http://www.mcnews.com/mcnews/articles/battery.htm) - "A fully charged battery is only 65% as strong at 32º as it was at 80º, and at zero, it drops to only 40% capacity."

You don't mention if its a wet, gel, AGM or LiFePo battery chemistry and given your voltage numbers it doesn't matter....battery is on its last legs.

To make final determination, pull the battery and place on a charger. Take it to you local Auto parts store and have it load tested (even walmart tire center equipt store has load testers for free) to determine its condition.

Here in desert SW folks can only pray to get a battery to last that long. Typically, you're looking at 3yrs max in our high temps here in Phx. Heat just kills batteries...

take it to BATTERIES PLUS or AUTO ZONE

they will check it for free & they carry options for replacement, if needed

the local BATTERIES PLUS has provided great service, for several of my toys

& the AUTO ZONE in BAYOU LA BATRE had 3 choices for my WEE, when i had trouble on a trip :clap:

sw

here i sit w/ 3 coupons for FREE stuff @ HF and you go n tell me about this really cool looking tool, they have, that I NEED

NOT FAIR...

YOU'RE HURTING MY ARM!!!

STOP TWISTING

I GIVE UP:mrgreen:

sw

If you have a 12V Outlet get one of these..Harbour Freight....http://flic.kr/p/ik9YCN

Going by that up to 14.75 is "normal" so I'm not sure how much I'd trust that! Ie why I just have a digital gauge mounted on my bike which I think I mentioned in the OP! ;) But yes I have a OEM sealed AGM battery and thanks guys for confirming my fears. I guess Battery Stuff carries on top of Scorpion Motocross which I guess is a Yuasa off brand for tons less then a regular Yuasa! I don't know if we have a batteries plus gotta find out but don't mind waiting a few days if need be! :)

EDIT: Good news there is a Battery Plus in my area bad news its made in China. Rather pay $2 less and get the Motocross with free shipping at this point! Almost afraid to see what Autozone wants and where its made! mehhhh

Going by that up to 14.75 is "normal" so I'm not sure how much I'd trust that! Ie why I just have a digital gauge mounted on my bike which I think I mentioned in the OP! ;) But yes I have a OEM sealed AGM battery and thanks guys for confirming my fears. I guess Battery Stuff carries on top of Scorpion Motocross which I guess is a Yuasa off brand for tons less then a regular Yuasa! I don't know if we have a batteries plus gotta find out but don't mind waiting a few days if need be! :)

EDIT: Good news there is a Battery Plus in my area bad news its made in China. Rather pay $2 less and get the Motocross with free shipping at this point! Almost afraid to see what Autozone wants and where its made! mehhhh

I FEEL YOUR CHINLEE PAIN :eek2:

however, in this day n age, it's more the actual provider, that will be standing behind it, than the original manufacturer's country of origin

specially since most all of them are made THERE :-(

we have to protect our investment/cover our bets to the best of our ability

just a personal point of view

sw

I just replaced the battery on my KLR which was a ???? Lead Acid from Walmart the guy had put in there about 4 months before I bought the bike back from him. Twice this winter , I had not started the bike in about a week. When going to start it , it turned for lest than 5 seconds before dragging down to barely turning the engine over. With the vacuum style petcock on the tank, it takes a bit to get gas to the carb. I had it on a Battery Tender and reading 14 something volts before attempted starting. So, ordered an AGM bat, charged it fully and installed. Left the bike sitting for a week or so. Started no problem.
Ditto to a same problem on my truck last summer. Sucks to have to change a truck battery out with just one arm usable. Was about a week after my crash and left side was still very not useable. ;-)
I changed out the battery on my '07 bandit I bought in '08 as a precaution before a long trip in '12. Didn't want to be up in some cold mountain motel and it decide it was due for a change. ;-) .
All in all, I'd chose a load test to determine the battery condition. Spent many many years having to deal with a lot of battery maintenance on Drilling Rigs (both onshore and offshore), Offshore platforms and Fire Dept trucks.

Good points all around! But remember this baby is 5 years old if not 6 who knows where the battery was pulled from! I'm gonna play it safe and just order a new one and done and done! :)

Good points all around! But remember this baby is 5 years old if not 6 who knows where the battery was pulled from! I'm gonna play it safe and just order a new one and done and done! :)

Good idea. I replace mine about every five years. Don't like being stranded

Forgot to update this. Went to order a Yuasa equivalent was out of stock so ended up buying a replacement at Batteries Plus and now I read 14.6-14.7 MAX so no more 14.6-14.8. Its a small difference but technically its under 14.8 so its "safe"! :)

Just bought a ballastic lithium Ion battery for my FA. Now the throttle response feel much lighter.

Back