• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Colorado bound

Reaction score
First Name
Dennie
Last Name
Spears
I started going to Colorado in 1980. My first trip it rained on us for 10 straight days. I did skip a couple of years along the way, but I also went twice a couple of years and one summer I made 3 trips. I believe I'll go again next week.

I started going to Colorado in 1980. My first trip it rained on us for 10 straight days. I did skip a couple of years along the way, but I also went twice a couple of years and one summer I made 3 trips. I believe I'll go again next week.

I'm heading up there Wednesday. Not bikes though, we'll be on foot :thumb:

Spent 28 days on foot on one trip. 6 days on another trip. Plan on a few more. Where are you hiking?

Spent 28 days on foot on one trip. 6 days on another trip. Plan on a few more. Where are you hiking?

Leadville. We're going to spend a few days up there camping. Doing a few short hikes day one, summit Mt Massive day two and Summit Mt Elbert day three.
I'm really looking forward to it.

Where you headed?

Going thru my old photo bucket account the other day I found this…
I had forgotten that I made it.

CO-1.png

I love the Leadville area. Used to camp & hike a lot in the Holy Cross wilderness.

Poser, I did Mt Elbert in 2003 as a side trip when I did the Colorado Trail. Post when you get back. Nearly all Two Wheeled Texans are also Two Legged Texans. :trust:

Due to that tall dirt bike constantly chocked in between, my legs won't hardly touch the ground. So all that hiking is just not a possibility...but man would I like to be back up there riding on those trails again! Have fun Poser. I also love mountain camping and am VERY envious. Please post up some nice pics for all us less fortunate souls to drool over.

Finally got to the paved section of Pikes Peak about a week ago.
Kinda fun but it has encouraged more tourists to the top. If you can image such a thing.
Thought we were getting a jump on the crowd by going up as soon as they opened, but no! It was packed.

Attachments

• IMG_2311 (2) (640x384).jpg
    IMG_2311 (2) (640x384).jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 126
Me and buddy from work are thinking about taking the bikes up to Leadville next summer. Never rode in Colorado (or been to Colorado for that matter), so I'm really looking forward to it. His dad has some land up in that area. Sounds like a really fun place to ride.

For me, riding in Arkansas is more fun. Riding in Colorado is more enjoyable. Colorado has great roads, but in a lot of places the margin for error is slim, and you are spending too much time looking at the amazing views to ride hard. Arkansas roads are just plain fun to ride.

Different riding, different rewards, both amazing. :D

I grew up in the Ozarks and lot of my family still lives there. I plan to take the WR up there later this year. Northwest and north central Arkansas is a blast.

I agree with Jasen. I go to Colorado to see. The bikes or my legs are just the best way to get to the best sights. I like riding in NC, MO, TN, GA and WV. Those places also have many "slow down and look" sights.

Cruising US 50 near Salida and getting hungry?

Check out the Buffalo Smokehouse and BBQ and Motorcycle Museum about 1.5 miles East of Salida.
Was up there a couple of weeks ago cruising down US 50 and spied a small green sign that said "Motorcycle Museum ahead". When we got to it, there's a big sign on the bldg. that says BBQ! Screeeeeech! Gotta check it out.
We had sandwiches with some sides... Beef for me and Pulled Pork for the other crew. T'was pretty dang good I must admit.
Owner Randy "Rusty" Graves came out at sat with us for about 45 minutes talking bikes and philosophy.
Rusty has the original sidecar rig from the Andy Griffith TV show on display.
Great stop for a Colorado cruise-in lunch stop. Check it out.
:clap:

Attachments

• IMG_2365 (2) (640x480).jpg
    IMG_2365 (2) (640x480).jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2372 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_2372 (640x480).jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_2374 (480x640).jpg
    IMG_2374 (480x640).jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 125
Colorado is unique, fun and thrilling. The unique climate can create days where it can be sunny, then rainy, sleety and snowy, all in the course of a few hours. With mountains and flat plains, rednecks and environmentalists, and towns with movie star mansions and hippie huts on the same street, jokes abound about Colorado and her inhabitants....however, I can remember in the 80's traveling to the state from Texas, the folks in Colorado disdained the Texan hoards showing up each summer....a few choice words were screamed at us while driving near the Eisenhower tunnel.

:trust:

RB

Colorado is unique, fun and thrilling. The unique climate can create days where it can be sunny, then rainy, sleety and snowy, all in the course of a few hours. With mountains and flat plains, rednecks and environmentalists, and towns with movie star mansions and hippie huts on the same street, jokes abound about Colorado and her inhabitants....however, I can remember in the 80's traveling to the state from Texas, the folks in Colorado disdained the Texan hoards showing up each summer....a few choice words were screamed at us while driving near the Eisenhower tunnel.

:trust:

RB

To quote what my brother once said to a grouchy Colorado gas station attendant while we were on a trip together: "So, you'd rather we stay home in Texas and just mail our money to you?"

To quote what my brother once said to a grouchy Colorado gas station attendant while we were on a trip together: "So, you'd rather we stay home in Texas and just mail our money to you?"

:rofl:
I would be interesting to know how much "Texas money" ends up in CO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots, Jason. Lots. Gas, groceries, hotels/motels, condo rentals, ski lifts, campgrounds, etc etc etc.

Years ago I was standing in the office at the Summerlan RV Park in Raton. There was a boy (probably 11 or 12 y/o) from California with his parents in the office, checking in. He noticed all the Texas plates (well heck, Texas is only 70 miles away) and started commenting on it over and over. I don't know why it distressed him so much but he said, "Mama, why are there so many Texans here?" The lady who runs and owns the park looked over the counter at him and said "You hush your mouth, Son. If it weren't for Texans, I wouldn't have a business to run here."

What's funny is that when they grumble, you know that there's a very HIGH chance that person is a former Californian. Stupid people grumbling about the outsiders coming in. :D

I have noticed that same phenom up in the Ozarks. The ones griping the most about "all these outsiders coming in here" are actually transplants from some other state who merely arrived a decade or two sooner than the person they are running down for recently showing up. :shrug:

Back