• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Father and Son NMBDR, New Mexico Backcountry Discovery

Colorado is the next on the list. Can't wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will it be street or a dirt ride? I can help you two with mainly paved roads. Only been on a few easier dirt roads.

Will it be street or a dirt ride? I can help you two with mainly paved roads. Only been on a few easier dirt roads.

Dirt.
http://ridebdr.com/COBDR
bb6183158ba158f1d438463d4331f619.jpg

Not sure if it shows the same for everyone. But there is a video link after every day report before pictures if your on a PC they may not show as a thumbnail may just show a link.

I'm heading up to knock the COBDR off the bucket list first week in Sept

Cottonwood pass rd is seriously closed for a while. This is a bigger problem than first appears. This is in the leg between buena vists and lake city. I went over tin cup pass as an alternative yesterday. I do not recommend doing that...even on a 500. Find a good way around.

Thanks for the info RG. We probably will not be doing the COBDR until
next summer.
Is the middle of July a good time to do this one?
Is the problem with the cottonwood pass road snow, or just damage?

I just finished doing an eight day ride with a mix of camping, hotels, and cabins, with Rsquared and his son (28 yrs old). We rode in Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming. It was a blast and seeing those two experience it together REALLY makes me want to do a similar trip when my son is old enough.

Getting loaded down KLRs through deep sand can be a real challenge! Well done!

next summer.

It's closed to pave the western side.

I just finished doing an eight day ride with a mix of camping, hotels, and cabins, with Rsquared and his son (28 yrs old). We rode in Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming. It was a blast and seeing those two experience it together REALLY makes me want to do a similar trip when my son is old enough.

Getting loaded down KLRs through deep sand can be a real challenge! Well done!

We had a blast. The KLRs did amazing. Don't know that I would have wanted to do it on anything bigger would have been very difficult in a lot of places.

It's closed to pave the western side.

:tab NOOOOOOO!!! That blows! That was such a cool pass!

Looking West from the top
DSC04010.JPG

We had a blast. The KLRs did amazing. Don't know that I would have wanted to do it on anything bigger would have been very difficult in a lot of places.

:tab Were you both running on stock suspension? The stock springs are not real stiff. I replaced the rear and fork springs on my 02 KLR with stiffer springs and it made a HUGE difference in how well the bike handled, loaded and unloaded. I still used the stock shock. I just put a 420 series spring on it. I originally used the Rosler progressive springs in the forks but later swapped for the Race Tech straight rate springs and they were MUCH better. I stayed with stock damping stuff and I think I used a slightly heavier oil in the forks. Overall, I think I spent about $250-300 on it. Money well spent!!

:tab The other inexpensive thing that made a huge difference was repacking and re-torquing the steering head bearings. They often come minimally greased and slightly loose from the factory. Mine were really loose and had very little grease. Fixing it made the bike track MUCH better, especially in stuff like deep gravel and sand.

Sounds like a blast Scott. I'm building my bucket list, of rides like that, for when I retire in a couple of years.

DSC04010.JPG

:tab Were you both running on stock suspension? The stock springs are not real stiff. I replaced the rear and fork springs on my 02 KLR with stiffer springs and it made a HUGE difference in how well the bike handled, loaded and unloaded. I still used the stock shock. I just put a 420 series spring on it. I originally used the Rosler progressive springs in the forks but later swapped for the Race Tech straight rate springs and they were MUCH better. I stayed with stock damping stuff and I think I used a slightly heavier oil in the forks. Overall, I think I spent about $250-300 on it. Money well spent!!

:tab The other inexpensive thing that made a huge difference was repacking and re-torquing the steering head bearings. They often come minimally greased and slightly loose from the factory. Mine were really loose and had very little grease. Fixing it made the bike track MUCH better, especially in stuff like deep gravel and sand.

Progressive fork springs in the 15 and straight fork springs in the 08. Not much else changed on the suspension.

DSC04010.JPG

Thanks Scott for the information. I did install progressive springs and adjust oil level, as Kory said. But I feel like I may need to try re-lubing and check the torque on the steering head bearings, it still does not feel quite right. I want to add a fork brace also.

next summer.

Folks, to avoid messing up KoryJ's report, I've made another thread for BDR stuff HERE.

Back