• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cooper's Old Time BBQ - Llano, TX

max955

Reaction score
What: Really good BBQ here, fellas. Lots of bikers show up on the weekend. Mostly H-D types with their magical do-rags that ward off all bodily injury, but there are always a few sport-tourers there, too. Any time anyone wants to go, drop me a line. I'm always up for a ride out that way.

http://www.coopersbbq.com/home.asp

cooperbbq.jpg

Where:
505 W. Dallas, Llano, Texas 78643
For "Mail Order" call: 915-247-5995 | 1-877-533-5553
For "Restaurant Info Only" call: 915-247-5713

Directions: Head Northwest from Austin on Hwy 71, or head North from Fredericksburg on Hwy 16. Llano is at the intersection of Hwy's 16 & 71.

:bigokay: Absolutely

Got to be the best food break in the middle of a good hill country ride around.

There is also a little BBQ in Medina that is pretty good also and great after doing a few twisties on the 33X's

SVinAustin said:
:bigokay: Absolutely

Got to be the best food break in the middle of a good hill country ride around.

There is also a little BBQ in Medina that is pretty good also and great after doing a few twisties on the 33X's

Hmmmm, any details, or is it pretty obvious which one it is? I was thinking about taking a day trip down to 187 to see a Secret Hidden (to me, anyway) Vintage Motorcycle Museum, have some lunch, try to hit a 33x, and zip back home... :dude:

Yeah.. great rides. Just watch for the cattle guards, fresh cowpies and big *** livestock in the middle of the road :shock:

Adios,

Here ya go Paul,

Keese's Bar-B-Que
13869 Highway 16 N, Medina, TX 78055

Check it out, I think you will like it.

Have a great ride

The Holy Triumvirate! Ranch Roads 337, 335, 336 in the Leaky, vanderpool, camp wood area. :D

Ah! Now it all makes sene. I've got to give those a try some time soon.

just passing this along.someone on the sport touring network said thd Hard 8 in stephenville has great barbque also.anyone ever been there ?

cajun falco said:
just passing this along.someone on the sport touring network said thd Hard 8 in stephenville has great barbque also.anyone ever been there ?

I have been there a couple of times on my way back from DFW. Very Tasty. Long way to go for BBQ though.

Now Pie on the other hand is a different story :lol:

The Hard 8 is one of the DFW guys favorite food trips. I have been by it a few times (passing thru, not stopping) and have thought about maybe making a long trip up there some weekend or stop by there on my way back to OKC sometime.

Paul - How about we set up a Museum and Mac & Ernies trip for a Saturday soon?

I tried this place out today and this is my take.

One of the best briskets I've had in a while.
The ribs left me look for more though, as I LOVE my ribs i was hoping for at least Saltlick quality. I was greatly disappointed there as we rode from Hutto just for some good BBQ, but the brisket made up for it.

I also was disapointed in there lack of seating (we had to wait for people leave to sit down and we were told the crowd was quite light for a sat), but the whole get to know your neighbor things pretty cool. For those who haven't been they just have about 10 long picnic table and you sit were you can.

Thats my take for what its worth. Next on the BBQ tour Hard 8.

They have another dining area in the tin shed outside the main dining room door. That is where we ate for the BBQ Runs to there. I have had good and bad brisket at Coopers in terms of fatty-ness, I prefer a leaner brisket but I know some prefer a moister one. I have smoked enough brisket myself to know that you don't always get what you want until it is done. I just chalk it up to inconsistencies of brisket and difference in taste. Still a good flavor to the meat either way.

I stopped at the Hard 8 in Stephenville (there is also one in Brady I believe) on the way up to OKC for Father's Day weekend last year. Very good, I tried to get a BBQ Run organized up to there last year and wether and travel did not cooperate. Maybe we should try another one?

Last edited:
Care to try a different one? If the weather cooperates, we are trying for next Saturday (3/11 not 2/18) in Glen Rose at Hammonds.

BBQ thread

yeah, the Hard 8 is very good. give their cabrito a try. melts in your mouth. worth a stop if you are in the area. might run on down to dublin to the dr. pepper bottling co while you are there. lots of good roads between dallas and stephenville.

I have been going to Coopers since the mid 80's. I was of course going with the folks back then, but they have tripled in size over the past twenty years. I went through there last year and I highly reccomend the pork chop. I know what you might be thinking......pork chop at a BBQ stop. Trust me. There are always a few types of sausage there as well. Jalapeno etc. Whenever I am in the region, I always make a point to stop in.

i second the porkchop........it is as good as it is massive. tip to newbies at coopers. often the room where you pay will fill up but there is another room that is always freezing (i think their meat lockers are on the other side of the wall). instead of turning right to the building to pay, go past the guy handing out meat and there is a door on the left.

Had the pork ribs, pork tenderloin, brisket. All very, very good in the order listed. Nice ride up there on 1431 from Austin, rode back on 71. (some bald eagles nest along the Colorado up that way between Llano and Austin on 1431:eat3: .)

They have been inconsistence the times I have been there. Sometimes the brisket is tender, most of the time it needs to be cooked longer. Ribs and chicken pretty good and the atmosphere with the bikes is always neat.

My trip there was somewhat disappointing. I had to try the brisket, and while the flavor was really good, it was about 1/3 fat--which I had to pay for.

Back