• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hit a deer...or Why I won't need coffee this morning.

Yes, I do believe all the offroad riding I've done helped me out. I will admit that I expected much more of a bump when I ran over it. I suspect I got lucky (story of my life) and hit it behind the ribcage and it was all soft tissue. I'd love to claim that I was that good that I could aim for that, but alas that is not true. Pure luck.

Bike is now clean, or at least the lower half and the engine. Riding pants got washed too, so life is back to normal.

Bike is now clean, or at least the lower half and the engine. Riding pants got washed too, so life is back to normal.

What's fun about normal?!? ;-)

Glad you have nothing more than a fond memory of goo, a little boot funk, and a good story to tell :sun:

This deserves a deer Smiley. But since one doesn't exist, I'm gonna give it a :eek2: :flip: :rider: :coffee:. ...:clap:

1731.gif

Been there, done that.
Hard deep shadows running across the road. Saw what looked like a grey trash bag with grass clippings spilling out. In the bright sun, then in the shadows….. By the time I figured it out, I found the rest of the deer.:eek2:
Tom

No, the slush part was in the light. The furry part was in the shadows.
Tom

Last edited:
Glad you made it over the deer with only some goo and a story to embellish over the years.

I hit one Saturday on I-10, fortunately a semi or three had already flattened it out pretty good and all I heard or felt was a little crunch as I ran over a bone or two. :mrgreen:

Seems like the rut started early, has been building slowly for quite a while, I've only seen on crazy day of rut with deer everywhere, and now the rut seems to be slowly winding down. According to folklore, such a prolonged, low energy rut precedes a long, fairly stable winter of moderate temps and precip. Winter weather is also supposed to be predictable by the colors of wooly worms. White is snow storms, brown is moderate temps, black is cold temps. This year's worms show very few white hairs, and the worms are generally black with brown and/or reddish mixed in. This also indicates moderate temps and precips.

So far that's what we've had, with tomatoes still in the garden in Tennessee until the first frost late last week. That's about 5 weeks late, tomatoes this late I've not seen since 1994. It's been gently cooling for quite some time, but no extremes of temps or precips. I did see a bit of fallen snow in Ohio today, about half way between Cincinnati and Columbus, barely enough to notice on the grass.

We'll see.

Back