• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Is It Cold Weather Gear Yet?

Bines

Reaction score
I've added some layers. Haven't gone full on, yet.

Jacket liner. Glove liners. Long pants under riding pants. A few times now.

Thinking of warmer gloves. My leather gauntlets have about had it. Maybe some Bark Busters or the like, too.

This morning I wore an Aerostich Darian with fleece liner and winter gloves. The electric liner generally doesn't come out unless I'm making a day of it.

I have a 100 mile round trip for work, so that's long enough to drag out the electric liners...which isn't hard since they are installed in my winter jacket and pants. I won't wear them though until it's cool enough in the afternoon that I won't sweat in them with them turned off. Tomorrow might be the first day.

I've gotten as far moving my heat controller from under the seat to my little velcro patch on the tank. That's my 2 minute winterizing procedure. As long as it's not more than an hour with no sun and temps below 45 I won't plug in.

It is going to be colder than usual in Texas for December through February but not so...in the northern US.

RB

Attachments

• kold-2016.jpg
    kold-2016.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 136
God Bless who ever the person was that invented heated grips!:clap:

The right bike really helps. 39F this morning when I left the house, with frost on my lawn and garage (unheated) roof. I'd usually break out my winter gear (overpants, neck warmer, heated gear, etc.) when it starts getting below 45F, but the Trophy SE has such great wind protection, I haven't need it yet for my 35min morning commute.

High tomorrow is supposed to be 77F.:rider:

Put the hippo hands on for the ride in today. Just wore the leather gloves, but had grip heaters on. Mesh pants over jeans, textile jacket with un-heated liner. No neck warmer. I figured I could get away with that for my 8 mile commute and I did. Let a young guy at work borrow the hippo hands for a trip this weekend, so I suspect I'll have my warm gloves on to head home.

Weather.com showed 33F at my house this morning so I dragged it out. Rode to work nice and toasty. Ride home was warmer than predicted but unplugged and moving I was nice and cozy.

I've added some layers. Haven't gone full on, yet.

Jacket liner. Glove liners. Long pants under riding pants. A few times now.

Thinking of warmer gloves. My leather gauntlets have about had it. Maybe some Bark Busters or the like, too.

That IS winter gear for me.

Put the hippo hands on for the ride in today. Just wore the leather gloves, but had grip heaters on. Mesh pants over jeans, textile jacket with un-heated liner. No neck warmer. I figured I could get away with that for my 8 mile commute and I did. Let a young guy at work borrow the hippo hands for a trip this weekend, so I suspect I'll have my warm gloves on to head home.

100_2648.JPG

They look like something that fits on snowmobiles.

Is your version bike specific? How do they attach? I have Throttlemeisters, so I don't know if that might impede the attachment of them to the handlebars.

RB

Ha! Full winter gear for me is balaclava under a modular helmet. Jacket with liner, long sleeve shirt and T-shirt. Pants with liner and long pants. Two pair of socks and work boots. Leather gloves with liners. I've also worn a scarf and tried those dry chemical heat packs stuffed around places. 29F at 70 mph for 27 miles is c-c-c-cold.

Sorry, mr-r, as far as I know, HippoHands are no longer on the market. They will fit over brush guards, so whatever your throttlemeisters are, the HippoHands will probably fit, no problem. In fact, something like brush guards is necessary to keep the big, flat front from blowing back against the clutch and brake levers at speed. There is plenty of room inside for grip heaters, fatter grips, well insulated and armored gloves, quart of oil, ... . There are also various types of HippoHands for different types of bikes.

HippoHands are designed so hands go in easily, all controls are accessible, though everything is done by feel because nothing is visible, and the hands come out easily in case of a wreck. They are also designed to be lowest at the back so any water that gets in can find a way out without soaking your gloves. However, no water has ever gotten in my HippoHands (it's tried) so I really don't know about the self draining feature.

put off buying rain gear forever but finally broke down and spent $75. never realized that rain gear over my normal jacket and pants gives awesome cold weather riding protection. the same thing that makes it miserable in the summer (not breathable) works like a charm in cold weather and it's dirt cheap compared to heated gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

put off buying rain gear forever but finally broke down and spent $75. never realized that rain gear over my normal jacket and pants gives awesome cold weather riding protection. the same thing that makes it miserable in the summer (not breathable) works like a charm in cold weather and it's dirt cheap compared to heated gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep. My "winter" gear is actually rain gear.

All but the balaclava this morning. Man, my hands were so cold. No heated grips. No hand guards. I wore my liners and DeWalt CW fleece gloves. I knew my present very ventilated riding gloves weren't going to cut it, even with the liners. Seriously thinking of heated gloves. My hands have been colder. At least they didn't go totally numb, this time.

Yeah, when your hands hurt, then stop hurting, then start hurting again when they start warming up- that's way too cold.

Back