TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Introductions

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 04-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
cruiser99

New rider in Austin

I bought my first bike last December, a '09 KLX250SF. I am in my mid thirties and took the MSF course about 5 years ago but hadn't ridden since the course. I finally was able to get a bike when I cashed in my vacation time after switching jobs. The bike had 400 miles on it and I am currently at 700. I try to ride it to work as much as possible but my commute is only 1.5 miles each way. I have been on two 30 mile rides, one around lake Brownwood and one out in Spicewood. I finally got it up to 70mph on Hwy 71 in Spicewood and it was a white knuckle experience. The front end started to shake and the wind off the lake was pretty bad. For me this bike is a perfect city bike and back road bike on roads less than 60mph. I am sure I will be more comfortable on the highway with more riding experience. I enjoy this site and find myself spending too much time looking at other bikes on craigslist. Here are a few pictures from two different rides in Spicewood. My parents live on the Pedernales and I drop my kids off with them and then go riding.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20120219_155231.jpg   IMG_20120324_151350.jpg  
cruiser99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
M38A1
Administrator

Re: New rider in Austin

"Everyone should have something in their life that requires a helmet" - Ann Sweeney
"Sleep doesn't help if it's your soul that's tired" - Unknown

2002 BMW R1150GS - I just call it "Number 5"...
2003 Honda Rancher ES - A work in progress...
M38A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:29 PM   #3
Sov

Welcome

And nice bike btw.
2009 Yamaha FZ6
Sov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:56 PM   #4
The Bruce

Nice to have a short commute.
The Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #5
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Welcome to the site!

If the front end is shaking, try shifting your weight to the rear of the seat. IF that helps, then it tells you that you may need more preload in the front suspension and/or less in the rear. Basically, if the bike is in a nose down attitude, the front end can get wobbly/shaky. If the suspension is properly setup, the bike should not get shaky. Setting the preload on suspension is not too hard, but having someone there to help you makes it much easier. My KLR 650 had a NASTY head shake around 60-65mph until I got the suspension sorted out and also properly torqued the steering head nut.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:22 PM   #6
greeneggs&ham
Forum Supporter

Welcome. Send me a PM sometime and maybe we can find you some backroads to play on. We live way south between Wimberly and Kyle. We like to play on the roads around Hamilton Pool and Spicewood and west of 281. The Wife does not like Highway either. Sam

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away. - Hilary Cooper
greeneggs&ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #7
Gravel Guy

Hello Cruiser!

Are you doing what you are doing in the name of love?

Mark
guido calculo
NEast of Weird, Texas
Gravel Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:07 PM   #8
Daytrader
Forum Supporter

Welcome!
Old 05-02-2012, 11:57 PM   #9
Not Dave

Welcome to the site! You'll find a lot of nice folks around here and plenty of rides to go on. I don't commute at all, in fact am at work sitting in my car in my driveway so guess mine is shorter! Anyway, I'm sure someone can help you sort out the shakiness. If you can we meet for lunch at Billy's on Burnet every Thursday at 11:00 and go to about noon or so. Great bunch. Well, except when Gravel Guy is there. Then it's a fantastic bunch.

Anti-social group leader.

email
Not Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:23 AM   #10
RollingJ

There are a whole lot of good things to say about most 250s, but they usually stop at 70mph.

That is a nice small bike and a great choice for getting your feet wet in the cycle world. It can also be an extraordinarily urban hooligan bike, if you are into that sort of thing.

I have more pure fun on my 250, but more adrenaline rush on the 450.

There are some good trails in Bastrop if you are ever interested in gaining some experience in the dirt.

Oh, yeah. Welcome!

2006 KTM 450 XC-G Plated
I'm allergic to selfish
RollingJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:34 AM   #11
ThomasM
Let's go to Mexico!
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.TX View Post
Welcome to the site! You'll find a lot of nice folks around here and plenty of rides to go on. I don't commute at all, in fact am at work sitting in my car in my driveway so guess mine is shorter! Anyway, I'm sure someone can help you sort out the shakiness. If you can we meet for lunch at Billy's on Burnet every Thursday at 11:00 and go to about noon or so. Great bunch. Well, except when Gravel Guy is there. Then it's a fantastic bunch.
^^^ What he said... My commute is less than a mile and one stop sign. I can walk it faster than getting out the bike, but I gear up for it on Thursdays to meet up at Billy's and Ken's. Come on out.

Rent our Port Aransas getaway:
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthre...53#post1164353
http://www.seaisle46.com
ThomasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:13 AM   #12
ffejtable

Welcome to the site! I am in the Austin area as well (Georgetown)..

Nice bike!

I don't particularily enjoy 60+ on my DRZ, so I would imagine the KLX wouldnt be much better...
2013 VStrom 650
ffejtable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #13
whoa

Welcome to the site. This is a downright friendly group and you can get some excellent technical help in the "General Bike Maintenance and Assistance" section. There are also several bike nights around town where other riders can have a look at your bike and make suggestions.
whoa is offline   Reply With Quote