• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Advantage/Disadvantage of under or over Scott Stabilizer mounts

copb8

Most Ignored
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Bart
Last Name
Nale
I want to raise the handlebars on my 500 EXC about 2 inches and will more than likely eventually install a Scott's stabilizer. I also have a 690 that I might want to move the stabilizer between as needed. I figured that instead of buying 2" Rox risers I might as well buy the damper bracket now.

I see that you can select between an under bar mount or an above bar mount. Can I assume the only real advantages of above mount is easy transfer between bikes? That's big for sure but does it prevent me from installing bar risers? I know it takes up accessory mounting space on the bars but I don't think that'll matter to me on the 500.

The under mount raises the bars about an inch so I'd need to add spacers to get the bars where I want them. How difficult is it to move an under mount between bikes? Simple unbolt the handlebars and then the mount and move?

BTW, if anyone selling a good condition Scott damper PM me.

Bart. The mount removes easily from both mounts. But,You would have to have the same mount system on both bikes because the mount reverses on the under bar and requires the arm being reversed and maybe a different arm, I can`t remember. I have the sub mount on my 500 and know that was the case.
I would suggest that you call Scotts and talk to them. I have done this several times and they have always been very helpful.. I have mounts on both my 500 and 300 and the 300 is a standard mount and I have 2 stabilizers, only because I got a really good deal on the 2nd unit.
Hope this helps..

Bart. The mount removes easily from both mounts. But,You would have to have the same mount system on both bikes because the mount reverses on the under bar and requires the arm being reversed and maybe a different arm, I can`t remember. I have the sub mount on my 500 and know that was the case.
I would suggest that you call Scotts and talk to them. I have done this several times and they have always been very helpful.. I have mounts on both my 500 and 300 and the 300 is a standard mount and I have 2 stabilizers, only because I got a really good deal on the 2nd unit.
Hope this helps..

This is super helpful, especially knowing that I can use either mount and still easily move between bikes as long as I have the same type of mount on each one. Thank you!

I assume no problem adding bar risers with the under-bar mount?

PS, let me know if you want to get rid of one of the dampers :-)

I have the mount with the built in handguard mounts on the 300 and really like them because it frees up space on the handlebars. But again talk to Scotts they have been very helpful in the past.. And they have lots of pictures of different set-ups..
BTW I looked and it appears to be same arm on both mounts and just reversed on the sub mount..

BTW I looked and it appears to be same arm on both mounts and just reversed on the sub mount..

Even being the same arm you still will be doing more than just removing a nut and reversing arm direction. The arms are pressed on, it takes a puller to remove them and a vise to install them properly. I would recommend buying another damper unless it is a once or twice a year swap only.

_

You are correct on that. It would be a **** to change, so it would be better to have the same mount on both bikes or invest in 2. Only reason I have to is a friend was selling one cheap that needed to be rebuilt.

Bart, Check out billet racing products ( BRP Moto) They make a topclamp that has handguard mounts built in. Don't know if their compatible with submounts but I have one on my 300 which has the standard mount and I really like the space it frees up on the handlebars

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Trail tech's Scott mount raises the bars 1.5 inches. I think the one I have was 2".
The bar is high enough it is easy to pull the Scott's. https://www.trailtech.net/030-mcb3
Hope the helps. If the new one is only 1.5, I may be Changing myself. The 2 is a bit hi for me. If you would like some measurements let me know

Having the same mount on different bikes would be best. You can flip the orientation of the bar, but you need the press tool to do so. Not terrible difficult, but a **** non the less. In either configuration the it does the same thing. The under mount is more tucked in, but does raise the bar. It also allows you run a bar pad and keeps the damper out of the way of damage. The upper bar mount does not raise the handle bar, hampers the installation of a pad. I have a BRP rubber mount bar set up on mine. It only raises the bar like 3/4 to 1 inch IIRC. I chose it for the light raise and because it tucks the damper out of the way and gives rubber mount for the bars (allows for flex on hard hits). Works well:

https://www.solomotoparts.com/BRP-R...Mgmtzlk-zHgx97do9aO_rxjp7D7r2mfoaAly6EALw_wcB

I had it mounted upper with my DR350. I did have to press the lever off and flip it. It stays on my 300 though. I don't swap it. The Road version and the dirt version of the damper are different. I believe the road version is effective in both away and toward center and the dirt version is only return to center.

Last edited:
I think that TrailTech unit is just the ticket I'm looking for. It'll raise the bars an inch and a half, has easy access to the damper and is priced right for what I'm looking for.

I ordered one to go on the 500. If that works out like I expect it to I'll order the second for the 690.

Thanks everyone for all of the insight.

Back