TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Introductions

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 04-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
redtex

Smile newbie Travis here

hi, everyone! I'm Travis. I'm a newbie, not just to the site, but to cycling as a whole. I am excited to be on the hunt for my first bike and for bike communities! This community comes recommended to me from a friend and mentor at work.

I hope to have things to post, in the future, but for now I think I'll be reading, asking questions, and learning!

Cheers and happy trails!
-trav
redtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
ltw9r

Re: newbie Travis here

welcome to TWT!!!

00' YZ 426 Dad's
00' XR 50 Corbin's
02' XR 100 Tyler's
ltw9r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
1 wheel peel

Trav!

"When the barn's on fire, slapping a coat of paint on the other side doesn't make much sense." C. Swindoll
1 wheel peel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
redtex

thanks for the welcome, amigos! It's good to be here.

take care.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
M38A1
Administrator

Welcome!

And if you're available on Thursday's from 11:00am to about 1:30pm, a big group of us first meet at Billys Burgers (corners of Burnet Rd/Hancock) at 11, eat and leave about 12:30. Then a smaller group heads up Burnet about 3 miles to the Hot Rod Coffee Trailer for beverage/conversation before we all scatter. Oh, no problem on not having a bike either.

What kind of riding are you interested in? Dualsport? Cruising? Touring? Long Distance travel? Commuting?

Have you got gear and your MSF yet? (check out the Pay It Forward section within For Sale on gear)

"Everyone should have something in their life that requires a helmet" - Ann Sweeney
"Sleep doesn't help if it's your soul that's tired" - Unknown

2002 BMW R1150GS - I just call it "Number 5"...
2003 Honda Rancher ES - A work in progress...
M38A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
tshelfer

Welcome to TWT. As Scott suggests, show up at one of the Meet & Greets. When it comes to bikes, there'll be one of everything there, along with lots of friendly folks who will be happy to show their rides off to you, & maybe let you sit on them for sizing.

'05 red VStrom - sold
'79 Honda CB650 - sold
'75 Honda CB400F Super Sport - sold
'74 Suzuki TS185 enduro - liberated by a needy soul
'72 Yamaha RT3 enduro - sold
tshelfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:16 PM   #7
oldtexan

Welcome aboard. You live in a great place for riding.
oldtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
wanabeguru

Welcome aboard!
Old 04-25-2012, 06:22 AM   #9
Sov

Couple of good new rider (err, or any rider) reads: Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough, and The MSF Guide to Motorcycling Excellence (2nd edition).
2009 Yamaha FZ6
Sov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:42 AM   #10
Gravel Guy

Howdy redtex!

Pie Run this Saturday in Medina!

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71480

Are you doing what you are doing in the name of love?

Mark
guido calculo
NEast of Weird, Texas
Gravel Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:12 AM   #11
redtex

-M38A1 - thanks for the skinny on the ride on Thursdays and for the scoop on where to look for gear, etc! I've got my eye on a 1972 BSA A65 Lightning. It's in the pre-renewal stage, right now, so i'll have a more definite on it-and-my realtionship soon (I reeeeeally want it). I'll go check out gear soon.

-tshelfer - thanks! I do want to show up to one of the meet-n-greets, and soon. It'd be helpful for me to get a feel for what people ride, why, and their experiences with bikes so far. As mentioned above, I am aiming at a BSA lightning, but I want to remain open to many options. Hope to see y'all soon!

-texan & guru - thank y'all! It's nice to be here (seriously nice folks here)!

-sllr - thanks for the scoop on the ride reads. I've been wondering about what literature might be helpful. I look forward to looking these up poring over them. Thanks.

-gravel guy - thanks for the skinny on the pie run! I'm going to be out o' pocket this coming weekend, but I hope to make a ride soon. It sounds like y'all are a fairly active group, and clearly friendly, so I look forward to catching up with y'all soon!

Cheers, friends.
-trav
Old 05-02-2012, 01:46 AM   #12
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Welcome to the site!

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $312.84 - Previous Month: $553.44 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:17 AM   #13
redtex

thanks for the welcome, Meister! It continues to be a nice environment and I'm continually grateful for the kindness being extended to me

Take care!
-travis
Old 05-02-2012, 08:54 AM   #14
The Bruce

I'm late to the party but
The Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote