• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Places to ride near Plano, TX

They actually do have a satellite picture of the park with areas of the park named and there are signs that correspond to the map. I've been going out there for 5 years and still get lost. It's pretty big. The naps are at the house where you pay, seems they are only a few bucks and they can be helpful. Like you, I also use a gps to make some tracks but even then it's difficult because there are really too many trail options so it's tough to tell exactly where you are sometimes.

depending on skill level, you might try Talihina State park in Oklahoma. I ride there quite a bit in the spring and fall. Lots of good single track and double track. Good to have a dual sported bike due to some trails require road riding. K trail is an easy option in Clayton Oklahoma, ride out of Clayton State park, other side of the Mountain is Mena Arkansas, Wolfe Pen gap. Lots or double track and dirt roads. All are within 3 or 4 hrs. of Plano. Sam Houston National forest is good, just outside of Huntsville, Texas. Lots of good easy trails. Private areas are endless around Texas.

Another Good one to the south is Crooked Creek. The terrain is easier than Red river. It has a few decent miles of single track. Mostly 4 wheeler trail, usually everyone goes the same direction. No near as crowded as Red River. Check the website to see if they are open. I want to say it was 20 bucks a bike. About as far a distance as RR.

My wife loved Red River. Bills woods is great. It challenged my wife, but she loved it. By far I think it has been her favorite place to ride other than Lubbock Trail Riders property where she learned to ride.

I recently took her to Barnwell near Gilmer, TX (also roughly the same distance as RR from you). She likes it and wants to try some of the single track. I took her on the easy blue trail (mostly jeep roads with a few double and single track off shoots). Way less crowded and more technical terrain. Also plenty of directional marked single track. Once you get a membership (30 bucks) and stickers 18 per bike. I believe with a membership entry for the day is free. That is once a year. Then each ride its 10 or 15 per run. They have cabins and bunk houses you can rent and restaurants are available within just a few miles. Bathrooms and showers are available without a membership.

When I lived in Rowlett it was about minutes or so difference with all being around 2 hrs each way. I did run up an FM road to 380 and over to Gainsville as traffic was lighter getting RR.

Also, for just a quick ride you can hit trophy club. I used to do it a lot when I lived in Justin. 10 bucks a bike. I lived about 15 minutes away in Justin. Good for a quick ride. Its in a low area and usually water means they close it. Its not that large and can get crowded. IT has a small MX track surrounded by 4 wheeler wide trail. Good for a few hours or to just get out if your by yourself.

Most of those are hard to me to get a day ride at now as we live in Texarkana, but if I camp they will work ok. Harder for my wife to do as she works retail. Barnwell is easier for us to do now.

Back