• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Camping hammock recommendations?

Reaction score
I've been looking at getting a hammock as well as a tent for my adventures. From looking at the hammocks out there, there seem to be some with a built in mosquito net. Some without.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I understand that with a hammock with the netting, bugs can still get you through the material you are laying on if you don't have a sleeping bag/mat to give your body a little "gap" from said outside barrier.

Oh, you are going to go down this rabbit hole huh? Best of luck! There's so much to learn about these things. Just wait till you start researching underquilts!

There's a lot you can do from just stringing up a tarp to full expensive setups. Probably the two most popular are Warbonnet and Hennessy. I grabbed a decent deal on a full Hennessy setup from advrider and have now used it for one weekend and was happy with it. It was chilly that weekend so I used the underquilt but for the most part had no issues with bugs that weekend, so can't speak for that. I did get a good nights sleep though, pretty comfortable.

My only real issue was not having a place to put my stuff and getting situated inside my hammock. Dealing with my shoes, socks, etc, getting into my sleeping bag and then getting it the right way in the hammock took forever. And then there was the issue of having consumed too much beverage the previous evening so a couple of pee breaks were necessary requiring me to go through all that trouble again each time. But it sure was comfortable.

No first hand knowledge about the mosquito issue but I've read others complain about getting bitten through a single layer hammock but not the double layer kind. And with the double layer hammock you can also place a sleeping pad (insulated?) between the two layers and it should stay in place better.

And then there was the issue of having consumed too much beverage the previous evening so a couple of pee breaks were necessary requiring me to go through all that trouble again each time.

Just cut a 1" hole in the bottom center of your hammock.

Geez, do I have to come up with all the good ideas? ;-)

I have used a Hennessy hammock for about 15years. I have the Assym zip

Here is my new Tensa outdoors stand, I don’t need trees anymore

599954e23dc2d3d2284fb96a453ab96a.jpg

You will need an under quilt, one for warm camping and one for cold. I have about $1000 invested in my hammock set up.

There is a forum called hammock forums, it will make your head explode.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
prophecy.gif

I don't know, you might want a tent to keep the boogers away.

Mosquito free zone:mrgreen:

Tensa Outdoors Hammock Stand

I ordered this in May, arrived end of June. Set it up in the front yard, and I couldn’t quit figure out the best hang.

Went on my first camping trip with the tensa stand. Took me a little bit of fiddling with the layout, but now I love this stand. Here are the reasons:

1. My top #1 reason: A consistent hang, I now have a 30 degree drop no matter where I am. I was noticing my lines, if I were to have the perfect trees spaced about 12’ apart, my anchor point would be about 8’ up in the tree.
2. Ease of set up, takes a little practice, but can be set up in about 10 min.
3. #2 top reason: I use the supplied ridge line, i like having the extra head room between hammock and tarp.
4. Fits my Hennessy hammock and tarp perfect, after I figured out the spread and the rise of the poles.
5. I can now face my hammock anywhere I want, important in windy conditions, cold or hot.
6. Tied with #1 reason: to Freedom, I am no longer bound to finding the perfect tree at the perfect angle etc. I have been hammock camping on a motorcycle for about 15 years all over the USA. Trust me, it is not always easy to find the perfect trees. I have actually hung a hammock between two rocks in Utah.
7. Total system weighs 9 lbs, I weighed it myself. I can put 4 poles in one pannier and 4 in the other pannier. Or I can strap it to the right pannier rack like I did this time.
8. I can lay in the hammock and push against the frame to get a nice swing going. Very relaxing.

Future projects:

1. I would like to use a caribeaner to hang the hammock, right now I am using the rope and using a lash system.
2. I would like to have some loops sewed on to tarp so I can bring the sides in when it is cold or wet. I have another tarp that has doors, so I may just use that.

e58254472764a8f3b5a5f0df4eb16bdb.jpg

6e505a4be936855f4a79899073f5fb45.jpg

Last edited:
I like that stand, but 300 bucks? ouch. But if you are spending 300 on the hammock itself, might as well be willing to spend the same to support it freely.

I can't afford much of anything right now so I guess I have goals. Is there a "cheap" hammock with mosquito netting I should avoid? I figure if I can get at least 3 camping trips out of it, I've gotten my money so to speak. I may go camping twice a year if even that much.

Edit: There's tons of stuff on Amazon to look at and with no knowledge, I'm going in blind.

I like that stand, but 300 bucks? ouch. But if you are spending 300 on the hammock itself, might as well be willing to spend the same to support it freely.

I can't afford much of anything right now so I guess I have goals. Is there a "cheap" hammock with mosquito netting I should avoid? I figure if I can get at least 3 camping trips out of it, I've gotten my money so to speak. I may go camping twice a year if even that much.

Edit: There's tons of stuff on Amazon to look at and with no knowledge, I'm going in blind.
a lot of hammockers start out with the Hennessee Hammocks. I did about 15 years ago, and I am on my 3rd HH. If it works, I stick with it. You can go to REI, they have the HH. However, if you order from HH they throw in the snake skins. The HH Asym Zip is what I like, will cost about $180 I think. Then you have to get an underquilt $250 cold weather, warm weather Amazon has the snug pak underquilts for $50. Then you will try several combos on the suspension set up till you find what works for you.

Yes, it can add up. If I was only camping 2x per year, I would stick with the tent and pad system. I camp about 40 nights per year, so my stuff gets used a lot.

Another popular brand is the Warbonnet.

I think the ENO system is economical, you can add a bug net also.

Currently, I haven't been camping in years. Wife and kids both have allergies to just about anything outdoors. I don't have any gear so hammock and rain fly for 200 is close to what I would probably spend on a tent ($30-70), tarps for footprint/extra rain fly ($25-100), sleeping bag ($20-??), as well as a mat of some kind ($20-??). Cheap end, 100 bucks, but bad longevity in the items.

I can get something for about 100 bucks on Amazon for a hammock and rainfly. If I went up to 200, I can get a Hennessy Hammock Expedition Series and separate rainfly. I may just have to experiment in my back yard and see.

Decide if you want a bridge or gathered end hammock. I have a Warbonnet Ridge Runner and a Blackbird. Haven't used the Blackbird yet but I've enjoyed the RR. You sleep higher in a bridge hammock which gives you more air and a better view, but not as good for a side sleeper. Go to hammockforums.net, read some, you'll get info and advice on lots of brands.

Last edited:
Decide if you want a bridge or gathered end hammock. I have a Warbonnet Ridge Runner and a Blackbird. Haven't used the Blackbird yet but I've enjoyed the RR. You sleep higher in a bridge hammock which gives you more air and a better view, but not as good for a side sleeper. Go to hammockforums.net, read some, you'll get info and advice on lots of brands.

Or you can do like tx tiger does and sleep in a camper in the back of his truck with ac and heat :)

I camped at a beautiful Corp of engineers park in east Texas last night.

Why do I need a stand with all those scrumptious trees?

I had it tied to the trees. Ranger came by and said no no. “Ground is too wet.”

No problem, got the stand out and 5 minutes later the problem is solved!

a1d3d8fa8ee2beb97c81f70cf1f1f5ec.jpg

101b7bdd81ed88593f91a34e4cf53690.jpg

Uproot the trees? Have you gained weight since I saw you last? :D

Well I still weigh the same. I couldn’t imagine a 200 lb person dropping a 40’ tree.

I am close to woodville at a Goldwing gathering tonight. The stand really shines when there is limited trees

d6c73eedda7d89808b69223a8abb0bf5.jpg

Tensa Outdoors Hammock Stand

I ordered this in May, arrived end of June. Set it up in the front yard, and I couldn’t quit figure out the best hang.

Went on my first camping trip with the tensa stand. Took me a little bit of fiddling with the layout, but now I love this stand. Here are the reasons:

1. My top #1 reason: A consistent hang, I now have a 30 degree drop no matter where I am. I was noticing my lines, if I were to have the perfect trees spaced about 12’ apart, my anchor point would be about 8’ up in the tree.
2. Ease of set up, takes a little practice, but can be set up in about 10 min.
3. #2 top reason: I use the supplied ridge line, i like having the extra head room between hammock and tarp.
4. Fits my Hennessy hammock and tarp perfect, after I figured out the spread and the rise of the poles.
5. I can now face my hammock anywhere I want, important in windy conditions, cold or hot.
6. Tied with #1 reason: to Freedom, I am no longer bound to finding the perfect tree at the perfect angle etc. I have been hammock camping on a motorcycle for about 15 years all over the USA. Trust me, it is not always easy to find the perfect trees. I have actually hung a hammock between two rocks in Utah.
7. Total system weighs 9 lbs, I weighed it myself. I can put 4 poles in one pannier and 4 in the other pannier. Or I can strap it to the right pannier rack like I did this time.
8. I can lay in the hammock and push against the frame to get a nice swing going. Very relaxing.

Future projects:

1. I would like to use a caribeaner to hang the hammock, right now I am using the rope and using a lash system.
2. I would like to have some loops sewed on to tarp so I can bring the sides in when it is cold or wet. I have another tarp that has doors, so I may just use that.

View attachment 56778

View attachment 56779

Dang it! You just cost me $350! I have a great setup, except for this. I've seen other systems, but they are too bulky and too heavy. Ugggh, just when ya think your gear buying is complete. lol
Here's a great vid of the system and setup:

In all seriousness, thanks for this recommendation. This looks awesome.

Back