• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AUSTIN: Kayak the Colorado-Tomorrow, 6/10/15

Looks like a good time. All I saw was smiles.:sun:

Yaking the Colorado is always a great way to spend a morning. There is a nice 6 mile section in Columbus that goes from the upper River Bridge to the lower River bridge. There is even a place to rent yaks, canoes and tubes. We usually go a few times a year. I have been hesitant lately because of all the rain. I figured it would really be moving but it doesn't look bad in the pics? The Brazos is still out of it's banks and it's roaring pretty good.

Leaving work I saw SB on 150 coming from the Tahitian intersection towards 21.

I presumed he had survived his time on the trails and avoided having to throw his body between the new Yamaha and the ground to protect it...

Yes survived but didn't ride long, only 20-30 minutes. Trails were not nature groomed as normal and riding alone on the big bike I wussed out as no spotter around to bail me out.

_

Reviving this old thread to gauge the twtex.com level of interest in kayaking the Colorado @ Bastrop

The Tricewife and I are going to rent from Rising Phoenix in Bastrop and set in at the park in Bastrop - don't have a date set yet - but we're going to do a few hour paddle.

Who has kayaks on the site and anybody interested in a morning paddle out of Bastrop on the Colorado - post up.

I'm watching this. Trying to figure out a way to drag a kayak with the AT. Sundays usually work for me.

Tomorrow? That was fast. I thought you would be going on the weekend.
Post up your review. Keep an eye on fallen trees covered in poison ivy .

Tomorrow? That was fast. I thought you would be going on the weekend.
Post up your review. Keep an eye on fallen trees covered in poison ivy .

Rivers tend to crowd up on the weekends. A mid-week paddle is going to be more in line with what I'm after. The fewer "cooler rats" I'm around, the mo' betta'

But yes, this will be my first time with Rising Phoenix Kayak out of Bastrop. I will post up that review (with photos) :-P

Tomorrow? That was fast.

giphy.gif

Gotta be fast and nimble in this world my man :flip::flip:

Dad burnit. usually can take off wednesdays, but not this one.
try next one, the 18th
LATER TATERS

i-H3mmg7c-M.jpg

i-j9bRK8f-M.jpg

i-Lmnj6JX-M.jpg

i-gnTMdqV-M.jpg

i-8Hp3Dxm-M.jpg

Well not a bad day on the Colorado yesterday out of Bastrop's Fisherman's Park.

Logistics provided by Rising Phoenix Adventures (Kayak & gear, transportation $45)

Learned some good things:

(1) Wrong PFD

(2) Wrong clothes

(3) Cooler WOULD be better

(4) If I were to spend $$$ on the sport, the first thing I'd buy is a super lightweight paddle and a paddle retainer

(5) My next PFD is probably a Stohlquist. I'm not a fisherman but a fisherman style with pockets to keep a cell phone (in a dry bag) on me, plus probaby my inReach and a few other things. Definitely not going out with an CO2 inflatable PFD again.

Kayaking can be a workout especially for your core and shoulders. Glad I'm going to Orangetheory and nothing was a bother.

I believe I'll buy the paddle and the PFD and see how it goes before buying a kayak.

Back