• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dumb question of the day.

Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Wright
Been a long long while since I have replaced a chain and sprocket set on a motorcycle. My other bike is a shaft drive. Just did one yesterday on the BMW. The chain had oil on it from the factory. A bunch of the lube came off onto the center stand leg and some dripped onto the exhaust causing some smoke of course during my test ride.

My question is do I need to add chain lube like right away or is the oil okay for a little while? Is the oil just to keep the chain from rusting in the package or its first slathering of oil/lube? Thank you.

[ame="https://youtu.be/moYdbNXBwvk"]Sanford Dummy Reel - YouTube[/ame]

If it is an O Ring type of chain the oil is much less important. It should never be so heavy with oil to cause it to sling off as you describe. When I am doing mostly street riding I like to keep it from completely drying out, but in the dirt they can get pretty dry after the first 30 mins of riding depending on conditions.

So in my opinion with an O Ring chain, chain lube is more for rust prevention and to reduce wear, but within the limits of not causing a mess.

I have no testing or manufactures data to support my observation

That said I do not let the packing lube stay

Depending on the brand that lube is either very light oil pot a sticky grease type

So I’ve always cleaned the chain after install and plumber with my current chain lube flavor of the month

If it is an O Ring type of chain the oil is much less important. It should never be so heavy with oil to cause it to sling off as you describe. When I am doing mostly street riding I like to keep it from completely drying out, but in the dirt they can get pretty dry after the first 30 mins of riding depending on conditions.

So in my opinion with an O Ring chain, chain lube is more for rust prevention and to reduce wear, but within the limits of not causing a mess.

Did not seem like that much oil on it and I just spent half of my time cleaning the old chain lube off things before putting on the new parts.:doh: The sprockets I removed were still in good shape but I replaced them anyway since I had all the parts. Going to wipe things down then ride it a little longer than 15 miles.

I have no testing or manufactures data to support my observation

That said I do not let the packing lube stay

Depending on the brand that lube is either very light oil pot a sticky grease type

So I’ve always cleaned the chain after install and plumber with my current chain lube flavor of the month

Think I will ride it a few days with what is on it then wipe it down and spray chain lube on it. I think I will get another can the one I have I am not that excited about. What brand do you use?

Think I will ride it a few days with what is on it then wipe it down and spray chain lube on it. I think I will get another can the one I have I am not that excited about. What brand do you use?
PJ1 black label

\Ive tried an awful lot of them, wax, oil, sticky, non sticky.
PJ1 Black label keeps the rust away, seems to work as well as anything at wear abatement, does not collect too much grit as long as you apply it with warm chain, let sit a few min and wipe off excess which also lessons the chain fling of any excess lube.

Im not a Eat off the swing arm clean kind of guy, so a little chain lube hear and there does not bother me

+1 for PJ1. I know little or nothing about the stuff, but I do know that I use it & my chains last a long time. Glad you're getting the F700 back in shape, Drew. We're overdue for some riding.

PS - There are no dumb questions. Sometimes there are dumb people who ASK questions, but...... :mrgreen:

Motul Chain Paste is my favorite, does not fling and easy to apply from the built in
brush on the tube.

Motul Chain Paste is my favorite, does not fling and easy to apply from the built in
brush on the tube.
I tried that with my trainer bikes for a year... Just made a dried, caked mess on the chain.. Though they did not rust :-D
It might be because our trainer bikes sit in a hot super heated conex in the summer, never see more then 16 -30 miles in a week and never faster than about 20 MPH ONCE per class...

I was just not wanting to damage the new chain since it took me forever to get around to ordering one. The one supplier I originally tried was out of stock for over a month. So I went with a cheaper one. But get this,the sprockets are from the company that was out of the set???:doh: Thanks for all the help folks.

Back