• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Where to go for Thanksgiving week?

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Need your :rider: trip ideas. We have the whole week of Thanksgiving to ourselves and want to ride and camp. Guidelines are...

>18 hr drive or less from Longview, TX
>Min temp of high 20's at night and high 50's during the day
>Small bike friendly - we're on 250 2 strokes, so more trails and single-track
>not under the white stuff
>Scenic camping that we can ride from. Bikes are plated, but don't want to go far on pavement.
>Enough riding to keep us entertained for 4-6 days
>Town within 20 miles
>In the USA

We're thinking about a trip to Moab, but it that would be a last minute call based on the forecast (don't want to see teens and 40's for a whole week), so I want to look into plan B, C, etc.

Let your wisdom flow forth! :sun:

Good idea.

Big Bend Ranch State Park ride report on ADVRider by CannonRide

Great park website and ton of info on campsites here: .pdf

The large distances, remote nature, and lack services may not make it ideal for visiting on a 2-stroke, but the weather will probably be nice!

Am also thinking about Cloundcroft, NM and the Lincoln NF. Google says avg temps of 50 and 25. Lot of info here.

Last edited:
The bunkhouse at BBR State Park is a nice alternative to camping. Big communal, commercial kitchen, too. You would need to trailer in fuel for the week. The riding out there is amazing - both in the park and near by - Casa Piedra to Marfa, Pinto Canyon back south from Marfa, River Road to the National Park, etc...

Cloudrcoft is a great alternative, but for me, I'd be worried about the cold. 8600' at the end of Nov is too much for me.

Ozark National Forest, Arkansas. Camp in Redding Recreation Area and ride from camp. Ten miles to Mill Creek OHV area, the site of the White Rock Enduro. Enough forest service roads to keep you entertained for a couple of weeks. I love BB, but Thanksgiving is their second busiest holiday.

CIMG0573-L.jpg

There may still be some color in the trees, this was first week of November.

CIMG0570-L.jpg

We had close friends who lived in Alpine and spent many a Thanksgiving riding BB(offroad). We usually rode the enduro trails that were used for the TSCEC enduros, as good as it gets in TX. But that was years ago and unfortunately Houston and Dallas found out about BB and it has never been the same. Thanksgiving week is a very busy time, thanks Texas Monthly,,,thanks a lot! Like JT we will be in AR but I ain't sayin where. Nope.

Last edited:
Haha. I hear ya. We've been all over AR on dual-sports and are starting to explore the smaller nookes and crannies on our 2-strokes. Perhaps we'll run into you....or be freezing our rear-ends off out west!

Barstow to Vegas. Starts in palmdale ca. Day after thanksgiving ends in Vegas.

Back