Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > After the Ride

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 07-20-2017, 06:53 PM   #21
KoryJ

Re: Father and Son NMBDR, New Mexico Backcountry Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhornet View Post
Nice report, pics and videos, Nice to see father and son rides and nice to see those klr's getting a proper workout!

My bike looked just like yours till the first deer I hit. Now it's bed liner. The KLRs took everything we put in front of them and wanted more. Love these bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KoryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:47 AM   #22
BrotherWolf

Nice ride report, photos, & videos. Appreciate y'all sharing with the community. Glad you didn't get up close & personal with any of those elk on the road!

BrotherWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:18 AM   #23
KoryJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherWolf View Post
Nice ride report, photos, & videos. Appreciate y'all sharing with the community. Glad you didn't get up close & personal with any of those elk on the road!

Me too. We had a couple run across pretty close but lucky nothing to close.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:20 AM   #24
kickstand~prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montejay View Post
Drew, I hope you get the chance to do a trip like this with your son. We had a perfect time. Kory's a good kid and we do a lot together.
You know Colorado should be next on your list. I can show you a cool relaxing creek to break your foot in.
1985 Yamaha RZ350

Avatar picture courtesy of Ghostrider1964

The biggest challenge of life is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everyone else.

"If you are always trying to be normal you will never know how amazing you can be." Maya Angelou
kickstand~prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:09 AM   #25
KoryJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand~prophet View Post
You know Colorado should be next on your list. I can show you a cool relaxing creek to break your foot in.

Colorado is the next on the list. Can't wait.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:18 AM   #26
kickstand~prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryJ View Post
Colorado is the next on the list. Can't wait.

Will it be street or a dirt ride? I can help you two with mainly paved roads. Only been on a few easier dirt roads.
1985 Yamaha RZ350

The biggest challenge of life is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everyone else.

"If you are always trying to be normal you will never know how amazing you can be." Maya Angelou
Old 07-21-2017, 11:22 AM   #27
KoryJ

Quote:
Will it be street or a dirt ride? I can help you two with mainly paved roads. Only been on a few easier dirt roads.

Dirt.
http://ridebdr.com/COBDR

Old 07-21-2017, 11:26 AM   #28
kickstand~prophet

Quote:
Dirt.
http://ridebdr.com/COBDR

Kinda figured that. Camping the whole way again?
1985 Yamaha RZ350

Old 07-21-2017, 11:27 AM   #29
KoryJ

Quote:
Kinda figured that. Camping the whole way again?

Sure will.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:59 PM   #30
sanderjavant

Great job Kory!

Thanks for the sharing the adventure. What a great way to spend time with your Dad.

2018 Adventure Rider Breakfast Series & Ride Calendar HERE

2019 Adventure Rider Breakfast Series & Ride Calendar HERE
sanderjavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:10 AM   #31
misterk
Forum Supporter

Great rr and pics, thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
misterk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:50 AM   #32
KoryJ

One of my favorite pictures from he trip.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:06 AM   #33
KoryJ

Not sure if it shows the same for everyone. But there is a video link after every day report before pictures if your on a PC they may not show as a thumbnail may just show a link.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:59 AM   #34
_RG_

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
I'm heading up to knock the COBDR off the bucket list first week in Sept
Cottonwood pass rd is seriously closed for a while. This is a bigger problem than first appears. This is in the leg between buena vists and lake city. I went over tin cup pass as an alternative yesterday. I do not recommend doing that...even on a 500. Find a good way around.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:00 AM   #35
_RG_

Great report koryj. I envy your time riding with family.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:29 PM   #36
Montejay
Forum Supporter

Thanks for the info RG. We probably will not be doing the COBDR until
next summer.
Is the middle of July a good time to do this one?
Is the problem with the cottonwood pass road snow, or just damage?
Montejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:40 PM   #37
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

I just finished doing an eight day ride with a mix of camping, hotels, and cabins, with Rsquared and his son (28 yrs old). We rode in Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming. It was a blast and seeing those two experience it together REALLY makes me want to do a similar trip when my son is old enough.

Getting loaded down KLRs through deep sand can be a real challenge! Well done!

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:42 PM   #38
Liteitup
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montejay View Post
Thanks for the info RG. We probably will not be doing the COBDR until
next summer.
Is the middle of July a good time to do this one?
Is the problem with the cottonwood pass road snow, or just damage?
It's closed to pave the western side.

I got these lines in my face
Tryin' to straighten out the wrinkles in my life
G. Clark
Liteitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:43 PM   #39
KoryJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
I just finished doing an eight day ride with a mix of camping, hotels, and cabins, with Rsquared and his son (28 yrs old). We rode in Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming. It was a blast and seeing those two experience it together REALLY makes me want to do a similar trip when my son is old enough.

Getting loaded down KLRs through deep sand can be a real challenge! Well done!

We had a blast. The KLRs did amazing. Don't know that I would have wanted to do it on anything bigger would have been very difficult in a lot of places.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:07 PM   #40
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liteitup View Post
It's closed to pave the western side.
NOOOOOOO!!! That blows! That was such a cool pass!

Looking West from the top

Quote:
We had a blast. The KLRs did amazing. Don't know that I would have wanted to do it on anything bigger would have been very difficult in a lot of places.
Were you both running on stock suspension? The stock springs are not real stiff. I replaced the rear and fork springs on my 02 KLR with stiffer springs and it made a HUGE difference in how well the bike handled, loaded and unloaded. I still used the stock shock. I just put a 420 series spring on it. I originally used the Rosler progressive springs in the forks but later swapped for the Race Tech straight rate springs and they were MUCH better. I stayed with stock damping stuff and I think I used a slightly heavier oil in the forks. Overall, I think I spent about $250-300 on it. Money well spent!!

The other inexpensive thing that made a huge difference was repacking and re-torquing the steering head bearings. They often come minimally greased and slightly loose from the factory. Mine were really loose and had very little grease. Fixing it made the bike track MUCH better, especially in stuff like deep gravel and sand.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote