• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2016 Kawi Vulcan S

Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Guys, I was curious if anyone on the forums that is in the DFW area happens to have one of these bikes. I was just curious to your opinion regarding it, recommendations for or against it, and any advice you could offer someone who might be interested in one.

Thanks!

I test-rode one last year and liked everything about it except the engine. There's just something about that particular parallel twin I've always found completely annoying no matter which bike Kawasaki crammed it into. And keep in mind, you're talking to a guy who *loves* parallel twins. It's down on power, makes its grunt farther up in the rev range than a twin should, and sounds like a sewing machine, even with a good pipe.

Otherwise, the Vulcan S handles really well, looks fantastic, and is the most comfortable cruiser I've been on in years. There are probably some deals to be had on holdovers from 2015, so look around. The Star Bolt kinda kicked the Vulcan S in the teeth on some of the comparos, and the aftermarket hasn't embraced the Vulcan S with much vigor, so you might score one for a song if you negotiate well. In any case, it's a great-looking, bulletproof motorcycle you'd likely have great fun on for a long time.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
I test-rode one last year and liked everything about it except the engine. There's just something about that particular parallel twin I've always found completely annoying no matter which bike Kawasaki crammed it into. And keep in mind, you're talking to a guy who *loves* parallel twins. It's down on power, makes its grunt farther up in the rev range than a twin should, and sounds like a sewing machine, even with a good pipe.

Otherwise, the Vulcan S handles really well, looks fantastic, and is the most comfortable cruiser I've been on in years. There are probably some deals to be had on holdovers from 2015, so look around. The Star Bolt kinda kicked the Vulcan S in the teeth on some of the comparos, and the aftermarket hasn't embraced the Vulcan S with much vigor, so you might score one for a song if you negotiate well. In any case, it's a great-looking, bulletproof motorcycle you'd likely have great fun on for a long time.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks for the input Tim. I've been eying it some as well as the FZ-07, considering, like you said, 2015 clearance models. How does your FZ do on mileage and what's the range usually like on a tank? I've considered holding off a year to see what they do with the FZ-07 Adventure style bike (I guess it'll be the FJ-07). Honestly if the FZ had a slightly larger tank as it sits it would be a no brainer for me but I'm just tired of my huge Vstrom 1000 and looking to lighten things up a little. I know the FZ has good ergos, seems like you could ride it a long long ways, but then again I'm kind of leaning towards the ergos of that Vulcan too, lol... so many choices.

How does your FZ do on mileage and what's the range usually like on a tank?

It gets about 45 to 50 miles per gallon in its current state of tune, so you have to be mindful about fuel stops on longer trips. Otherwise, you are right. It is an excellent roadster in pretty much every way. And you'll definitely get your wish on going light if you buy one. I have my FZ down to about 375 pounds wet with the removal of the stock exhaust and XG-1 installation. Of course, it's way too loud as a result. LOL.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuHJI373tOo"]FZ-07 (MT-07) Exhaust | Danmoto XG-1 Motorcycle Full System | Ride & Review - YouTube[/ame]

I saw that video the other week.... Sounded great but I love when the Harley guys where twisting there necks to see what was so loud. It reminds me of when I got a set of Carbon fiber pipes from Danmoto for my 919 Hornet. I should have ordered the DB killers with them. It sounded evil. It definitely put the buzz in the Hornet but after about an hour I was suffering from temporary hearing loss, lol. I think if I was going to get the FZ-07 I'd probably go with a one of the M4 slip on's. I love the stubby exhausts and I'm sure being a shorter pipe, it would have some volume. I think I talked my self out of the kawi Cruiser though. Just too many things you can't do on a bike like that (like stand up for bumps, etc etc).

Yeah, to me the Vulcan S is an urban bang-around bike, but would not be in its element out here on 75- and 80-MPH roads. If you're wanting to do long day rides or trips especially, it might not be the right bike for you. At any rate, whatever you get, don't put an XG-1 system on it. LOL!

Sold the 919 for a TMax. When I get tired of the scoot, the FZ07 will be on my radar. Throw some soft bags on it and add a center stand and be good to go. I haven't ridden either the Vulcan S or the FZ07 but I would go the Yammy hands down. I test rode a Road King and a Cross Country that was lowered and wasn't too impressed though the regular Cross Country is a nice bagger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I get tired of the scoot, the FZ07 will be on my radar. Throw some soft bags on it and add a center stand and be good to go.

Yezzir. The aftermarket is finally starting to catch up. I'm beginning to see some cool stuff for them out there.

Back