• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Honda CRF250L Rally

Interesting.

Attachments

• Gallery1.jpg
    Gallery1.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 496
Yep, it is interesting, and the switch-offable rear brake ABS makes that a non-issue.
If the rear subframe is stout enough to support decent-sized (soft) panniers, it might be good for long-distance slow-ish adventuring.

But it's still just 250cc, too small for me, I won't consider anything under 400cc, maybe they will offer a 450 later on? 250's struggle too much with All the camping gear and 65mph on asphalt roads, but are very competent on dirt, 450 really does seem to be the best compromise for weight and performance.

Gary

Add another 24 pounds heavier than the std CRF. :ponder: Plastic is indeed heavy.

Pros:
  • Interesting to me is that the seat height is almost 1" lower than the std CRF.
  • Also interesting that Honda did their tweaked the motor up to whopping 24.4 HP.
  • The rally look is fantastic.
  • Anshiously waiting to hear how the rally fairing improve comfortability on long highway travel.

Cons:
  • 2.5 gal gas tank...still not big enough.
  • high front fender; should have low fender, like the Afr Twin
  • still heavy

Last edited:
African Twin setup for offroad!

Attachments

• Africa-Twin-Enduro-Sports-Concept-m-561x372.jpg
    Africa-Twin-Enduro-Sports-Concept-m-561x372.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 447
I think this would be a good bike to trailer down to BB for a weekend camp & ride. But for actual camping off the bike, use the AT. And it'll come out just after my kid is gone.

Another consideration for next bike.

There are soft bags and mounts available for about $275. I've seen them on a regular 250L, don't know if they'll fit a Rally.

I figured I would revamp this thread considering I have a '17 CRF250L Rally and have owned the standard CRF250L in my past.

Here are the main differences between the two (only my opinions other than the stats anyone can read).
  • It is supposed to be heavier, but I really cannot tell much difference, maybe a bit over the front forks.
  • The rally is taller but the suspension feels softer.
  • The Rally has belly and engine protection, it is plastic yes, but appears to be stout for dual sport riding I will be doing, unless you get serious.
  • The headlights and front faring are a very nice addition for road use and appear to be quite stout. The LED headlights are leagues better than the CRF's single.
  • The Rally is pre-wired for accessories and it is plug and play...what a great little addition.
  • I read that Honda increased the power with a larger head pipe and throttle body. The Rally has a little more kick above 6k rpm than my older version CRF did.

Current mods:
  • I chopped the rear license plate holding monstrosity down to simply mounting the plate (when it comes in) just under the tail light.
  • Added a RAM mount and dual USB charger to the bars using the factory 12V accessory plug provided by Honda and the adapter plug from CRFs only.
  • Last night I installed a clip on windshield extension and after a very short ride, it appears to be a big improvement on helmet buffeting.
  • For me, all those flashy decals are over the top, so I removed about 1/3 of them. I may remove the rest in the future.

Planned mods:
  • Bar risers and Renthall CR bend bars with different grips
  • Wider foot pegs
  • 2 finger levers
  • Maybe a slip on FMF silencer
  • Dunlop 606 tires
  • Additional GPS Montana mount and wiring.

Odd that I don't have any good pics yet but I'll get some soon.

That Rally bike seems like it would be a cool do all dual sport bike for those not in a hurry.

It has acceptable power as long as you keep it in your head that it is a 250cc with 8k oil change intervals and something like 25k mile valve checks if that. By acceptable, I mean it does the job, haha. It is a joy to cruise on back roads and the dirt on easy to moderate terrain. The suspension is super soft which is great for 'the geezer glide', but not as great if you get aggressive. Like many dual sports, that can be remedied.

Up to 60mph, it scoots pretty good and purrs along at 60-65mph (and I weigh 220lbs). Once you get 70mph or above, the little engine is working pretty hard, but it will hold 75mph if you force it too.

I suppose the appeal is the price and a bulletproof, fuel injected package. I picked up this dude for less than half of a KTM 350EXE or the new CRF450L (was what I really wanted) and about $2k less than a DR650 or WR250R.

I got mine up to 83mph once going downhill with a tailwind :)

It certainly fills a niche in the market.

I really like the look of these bikes. Going by my local dealer today to look at a 250L, to get an idea on the size. They can order (or trade) for a Rally and just got (2) 250L’s put together and on the floor. Really thinking hard about going this direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If had both the L and now the Rally. The Rally is much nicer on longer rides on pavement because of the wind protection. The L is easier to handle offroad, a small amount.

If had both the L and now the Rally. The Rally is much nicer on longer rides on pavement because of the wind protection. The L is easier to handle offroad, a small amount.

Whoops, I meant "I had both"

I am growing more and more fond of this little bike for the reasons that make it special, which helps to overlook the areas in which it is not. It is heavy when you talk about dirt bikes but lightweight when you talk about bigger dual sports or adventure bikes. It handles pretty well on both dirt and slab, the suspension is very soft and some do not like this, but it is perfectly suited for cruising rough roads and mild to intermediate dirt as long as you are not pushing it, the ergonomics are good, but I think will be great with some bar risers and wider bars, it has 8K mile oil changes, I doubt I will ever have to adjust the valves while I own it, it if fuel injected and that is a big plus in my book, the wind protection is quite good, and the power is not exciting but does the job. The CRF also has an interesting power curve that starts to turn on at about 6,500 rpm, which is perfect because that is about 60-65 mph, and when you need it.

My buddy rides a '15 KTM 350 EXE-F, which is a far, far superior off-road bike, weighs a whole lot less, and probably has twice the power as my little 250. We were talking about knocking out some 100-150 mile rides, probably 25% dirt roads, and he sighed. According to him, his KTM is not an enjoyable bike on the pavement for any length of time, the gas tank is tiny so he as to stop for gas often or carry fuel bottles, the tires howl like a beast on pavement, the wind protection does not exist, and he will have to perform the maintenance again before we go.

It sounds like I am bashing KTM, but I am not. I had one and it was by far the most amazing off-road machine I have ridden with 2nd to none engineering and quality. I fought with the idea of bellying up to the bar and buying a KTM 350 or 500 EXE-F instead of this CRF but ultimately, it would have cost almost three times the amount, and I would be dealing with the same issues my buddy is.

For a "dual sport" machine, this little dude is a pretty good choice at a price that no other bike could touch (at least new). I spent three months shopping both used and new and this bike was the better deal.

I actually looked at this Bike as well when I started my search for dual purpose/adventure bikes. Was steered away by the sales person. I am a big guy and was told it would be underpowered for me. I'm not so sure anymore. Im pretty convinced that I'm going to keep mostly riding around on gravel roads and the like. I can always trailer if I need to go further to go to riding spots. I'm already getting tired of riding 2hrs on pavement just to get to dirt. Not to mention 2hrs back home after a long day of riding. If I woulda bought this, I would have had enough money left over to buy any kind of trailer I wanted! Just didn't know enough at the time.

With riding gear, I'll bet I am pushing 230lbs. I kept reading I would be too heavy for this bike, it does not have enough power, the suspension is too soft, I am too short (well, that is the case), etc... I have not had a problem up to now with any of these (except being too short), and maybe because my expectations were realistic to start with. That, and I rode a standard '13 CRF250L for about a year and knew what I was getting into. This '17 Rally is a slight improvement over the '13 in many small ways including suspension and power.

With an aftermarket slip on, lithium battery, and removing the rear fender assembly, I have read it shaves about 15 lbs. Now to shave 30 lbs off of myself...

Some folks spend around $150 for a 'tail tidy' kit or something similar, but the same basic result can be had for $0. It just takes some planning, a Dremmel or cutting tool, a couple of pieces of scrap metal, and about an hour.

Before and after.

Attachments

• 20190623_121644.jpg
    20190623_121644.jpg
    929.5 KB · Views: 384
  • 20190623_113418.jpg
    20190623_113418.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 398
Some folks spend around $150 for a 'tail tidy' kit or something similar, but the same basic result can be had for $0. It just takes some planning, a Dremmel or cutting tool, a couple of pieces of scrap metal, and about an hour.

Before and after.

Did you get rid of your license plate light? I doubt if any state inspector would catch that but it does give any LEO a free pass to pull you over if you ever ride at night.

Back