• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Big Bend Camping Advice

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
We're tinkering with the idea of a Big Bend trip from Dec 28th - Jan 2nd, but are wondering about camping accommodations. There are 4 in our group, 2 in a tent, and two in a 8x18' enclosed trailer.

We dry camp, so hookups aren't necessary, but I'd rather not be right on a paved road or over-looking a truck stop. The park campsites are full (Cottonwood, Rio Grande Village) and most of the RV parks appear to be little more than parking lots. Picnic tables, pit toilets, and a fire ring would be a plus, but aren't necessary as we can bring all those too.

Rancho Topanga looks good, but if possible I'd rather be closer to the park or Terlingua. Perhaps I'm being too choosy? :trust:

I read that NPS permits can only be acquired the day of arrival. I don't want to drive 10 hrs from ETX and end up with no site and I probably don't want to drag our biggish enclosed trailer down the back-roads too far to some of those sites.

Any recommendations? We plan to ride Old Ore, River Road, Black Gap, etc.

Thanks!

Not sure if these can be reserved but there are a bunch of primitive sites along Old Ore Rd. such as Candalilla, Ernst Tenaja, etc. That makes for a long doggone haul from Terlingua but it might be worth looking into considering the crowds elsewhere. These could definitely be 4X4 territory only.

Big Bend resorts motor lodge has rv spaces with full hookups and tent spaces , it's the crappist place out there to me but some people like it . Between the national park and Terlingua .

You mentioned Rio Grande Village & Cottonwood being full (I didn't even know you could reserve sites in Cottonwood). You didn't mention the Basin campground. Did you check that?

Big Bend resorts motor lodge has rv spaces with full hookups and tent spaces , it's the crappist place out there to me but some people like it . Between the national park and Terlingua .

Spent a couple of nights in the tent camping area, a slightly sloped rocky area at the edge of the parking lot. Campers need to bring lots-o-quarters to use the shower. After a particularly bad night I asked for a room so they put me in one that had a broken door lock, a coffee machine that leaked and bathroom wiring that was dangerous. I agree it's the crappiest place out there.

a broken door lock, a coffee machine that leaked and bathroom wiring that was dangerous

Maybe we'll go for something else. Thanks!

You didn't mention the Basin campground. Did you check that?

Any guidance on how much cooler the basin campground is relative to the lower elevations?

Last edited:
Quite a bit so. I haven't been there in winter, but in spring/fall, I'd say 5-8 degrees cooler, due to elevation.

Basin will be full up that week, you can bet on it. Cottonwood Camp does not accept reservations, so it is a roll of the dice whether you will find an open spot that week. Same for back country sites like Ernst Tinaja. Study Butte RV park was renting primitive sites last year, have not seen whether they are this year too. Reach them at(432) 371-2468. They are the closest campground to the park, on 118 south of the motor inn.

Ed is right, all of it will be booked that week. You can check availability and make reservations at Recreation.Gov.

A park ranger once told me that the Basin could actually be warmer than Rio Grand Village in the winter due to radiant heating from the rocks. I've never experienced that and can say that the coldest night I ever spent camping was in mid January in the Basin campground.

Ed is right, all of it will be booked that week. You can check availability and make reservations at Recreation.Gov.

A park ranger once told me that the Basin could actually be warmer than Rio Grand Village in the winter due to radiant heating from the rocks. I've never experienced that and can say that the coldest night I ever spent camping was in mid January in the Basin campground.

This is true, especially on calm nights, cold air sinks into the valleys. Was staying in the basin and it dropped to the mid thirties. Talking to some other bikers that were camping at RGV a they said they saw 20 that night.

I would try the Basin for sure ... it is in the middle of the park and well protected from heavy winds. Be sure and post some photos here.

Rio does not have a shower. You have to go to the gas station with enough quarters and buy a shower there and it's too far to walk.

I won't go back cause they flooded the camp site during the night and I got all wet and left a day early cause my bag was wet.

Last edited:
About 5 years ago I tent camp at Croton Spring the first week in December in the National Park, its set up for two sites, but a friend and I setup on one site no problem with the park ranger, the other site is a rock throw close. the site is flat and is on a dead end rough road not car friendly but any truck would be fine. Stayed there a week, the weather at night was around 42 to 45 at night I had a Coleman propane heater kept me comfy highs near Croton Spring around low to mid 60s, I rode a KLR and my friend rode a KLX all over that park, Old Ore road by mid day was around 74 to the Rio Village 87 plus, My stay there was between cold fronts with full Sun and light to no breeze Perfect.
Its a Primitive site bring plenty of water, I took solar shower late in the day a bit chilly, if I had to do that over again i would warm the water on the stove then pour it in the solar shower bag, I took a old IV pole to hang the bag on and bring swim trunks in case you have neighbors plus you want the Swim trunks for the Hot Springs near Rio Grande Village. Put your food in the Bear proof containers on the site or you will get a note to do so from Park Ranger, no bears at that site I think they are in the Chisos mountain area. Oh Croton Spring is a dry ancient spring I think? its hard to spot, it may have water during a strong wet storm system? I will be at the State Park first week in December riding my WR.
Other areas of the National Park to consider to camp are off of Pine Canyon RD and Glen Springs Rd, more scenic , but may have more traffic.
Have a Blast Riding and camping.
Greg WESTEXBLUE

We're tinkering with the idea of a Big Bend trip from Dec 28th - Jan 2nd, but are wondering about camping accommodations. There are 4 in our group, 2 in a tent, and two in a 8x18' enclosed trailer.

We dry camp, so hookups aren't necessary, but I'd rather not be right on a paved road or over-looking a truck stop. The park campsites are full (Cottonwood, Rio Grande Village) and most of the RV parks appear to be little more than parking lots. Picnic tables, pit toilets, and a fire ring would be a plus, but aren't necessary as we can bring all those too.

Rancho Topanga looks good, but if possible I'd rather be closer to the park or Terlingua. Perhaps I'm being too choosy? :trust:

I read that NPS permits can only be acquired the day of arrival. I don't want to drive 10 hrs from ETX and end up with no site and I probably don't want to drag our biggish enclosed trailer down the back-roads too far to some of those sites.

Thanks!

You should be able to get those trailers into most of the primitive sites such as those on Old Maverick even the ones at the end of Grapevine Hills ect. But those sites are all first come first served.

BJs RV park is a alternate place , usually doesn't fill up till a few days after Christmas . Seems like a preferred spot by long term campers . No frills but in the middle of everything .

I don't want to drive 10 hrs from ETX(¿Longview?)...

Thanks!

PT, i thought i read your OP incorrectly and went back and re-read it

10 hours equates to averaging 70+ mph :eek2:

as one who has made the trip from Denton many times this old man thinks you might need to re-calculate your travel/arrival time

you are about 3 hours east of me & it takes me a good 12-14 hours to get to the Studdy Butte x Terlingua intersection without a trailer or any glitches

just sayin...

if you do go out there you will be instore for some wonderful riding

have fun & SHINY SIDE UP

sw

Thanks. Was speaking generally, but yes it's a looong way. ...and with a trailer I can add a 1/2 hr to every 5 that google has listed.

Forget the trailer unless you are hauling the bikes. Old Ore was pretty tame last time I was there. No problem getting a trailer down that. River Road and Black Gap, well, different story. Maybe not too far from pavement, but you'll really need someone to take a look for you. Ed? Could be a difficult turn around or a very long back out.

Finding a nice, legal camp is one of the hardest parts of a Big Bend trip during the busy season. There are always some empty, but you pretty much have to know where you are on the way in. There is just so much terrain to cover it isn't practical to go looking, find a site, then go back to an office and do the registration. It would be nice if there was a thread where TWTers already there paid attention and posted up current available sites.

This is true, especially on calm nights, cold air sinks into the valleys. Was staying in the basin and it dropped to the mid thirties. Talking to some other bikers that were camping at RGV a they said they saw 20 that night.

Yes, it gets really cool in the basin during the winter time on a clear night.

A roaring fire never felt so good.

:clap:

RB

Fire is not allowed.

icon_cry2.gif

Propane heater "fire" for now.

RB

Back