• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mad Scientist Tire Academy

i-2Wdbb7s-L.jpg

Our man Patrick is now 100% Flat Repair Certified and in fact will be a MSTA instructor :clap::rider:

As usual, Trice was more than helpful in changing some tires. I'm a firm believer in the Baja NoPinch tool now.... I need to be a believer in a stand to get the front wheel off the ground :eek2::eek2:
image.jpg

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72SyjaHxBhI"]How To Plug A Tubeless Tire | MC GARAGE - YouTube[/ame]

Motorcyclist Magazine posts a ton of great how-to videos on bikes and bike maintenance.

This video drives home the best tips for plugging tubeless tires.

The only thing I would add to the video is to buy plugs and plug tools from Safety Seal, online at Amazon.

Also know that Safety Seal makes two sizes of plugs, regular and thin. I carry both sizes on the bike - and have used each in different situations.

:rider:

i-8QC3kpx-M.jpg

Huge thanks to JMZ for donating this 18" wheel & tire combo to the Mad Scientist Tire Academy for training off road riders in the art of flat repair! :sun:

This is the more difficult rear wheel to deal with, and it's available as a practice/traing tool to anyone at anytime :thumb:

JMZ has been promoted to VP of Training Operations and Player Development :clap::clap:

MichealG contacted me about getting experience with the rear tire on his KTM 990, in preparation for the upcoming Uncle's Around The Bend in BBNP.

Once he gets the tire, we'll set a session up here in San Antonio. All will be welcome to observe and/or practice on JMZ's practice wheel.

I splurged Bob. Now proud owner of the Baja Tire tool.

Also, what kind of grass do you have that is still so green? My St. Augustine went dormant.

Last edited:
Interesting

From that photo, I've received 769 emails asking for Patrick's contact information from women from Israel to New Zealand. Nobody mentioned his cush drive.

On second thought.......:trust:

I splurged Bob. Now proud owner of the Baja Tire tool.

Also, what kind of grass do you have that is still so green? My St. Augustine went dormant.

Our Augie grass is dormant here as well!

Keep up your BNPTT skills, they are perishable. JMZ's gift of that rear wheel means we can all practice without taking a wheel off our bikes.

Then we go to Harmon's BBQ!!

Our man MichaelG came over to Casa Tricepilot with quite the challenge:

A brand new Mita 07 Dakar tubeless/tubed 150/70-18 that was probably the stiffest sidewall tire I've ever seen! And it had to go on Michael's wheel for his KTM 990. And it was to go on cold!

i-Nb7gfZt-M.jpg

The Baja No Pinch Tire Tool to the rescue :rider: :clap:

i-kpc2HdV-L.jpg

And at the end of the practice, Michael installed Ride On Tire Sealant and Balancer like a pro.

i-KLmdqZb-L.jpg

Anyone out there who wants to Be Like Mike:

Be ready and self-reliant on the trail with skills you've mastered in your garage, using ONLY the tools you'll take with you on the ride.

MSTA staff is always available 24 hours a day if you cannot sleep and wake up in a cold sweat fearing you'll be stranded on the trail as "that guy". Don't be "that guy" - Be Like Mike!

i-52Dp542-M.jpg

I just put one of those on the back on my Africa Twin.

My Baja No Pinch Tire Tool made mounting it easy.

I cannot thank Bob enough for providing this tire clinic. Now, I feel confident that I can fix the flat on the trail if I need to. I've also purchased the Baja No Pinch Tire Tool as soon as I got home. Thanks Bob again and hope your hand will get better soon. See you on the trail.:rider:

Mitas Dakar tires are the best teaching aids for tire removal and installation. To be successful you have to lose all your bad habits and use absolute proper technique. Anything short of that you will not get them on or off. Man handling them just flat out doesn't work.

If MSTA needs some old Dakars for practice aids I can supply 150/70-17, 110/80-19 and soon to be 130/80-18's.

_

We alumni owe a big debt of gratitude to the MSTA. Seriously, thank you Bob and others who give your time to teach.

Quick question for you tire folks using Ride-On sealant in your tubes...

I'm having a hard time nailing down the exact amount I need to put in the rear tubed tire - 130/80-18

I'm seeing 9 ounces, 11 ounces (9oz+25% for the tube), etc etc. Any thoughts?

I don't think you could go wrong with 11

Signatures? We don't need no stinking signatures!

I was thinking the bottles were 11 oz. I just put one bottle in each tire .

Mad Scientist =
Dr. Jekyll - Mr. Hyde
Almond Joy - Mounds
Bi-polar
Need I say more?

Ride-On is my friend but then I only like Mounds. Lol

_

I read the first page that ride on is not a friend and your last page where I see lots of ride on bottles, so ride on is a friend?

The reference I went back and read was to Slime, the green stuff. Hate it. Maybe I missed a different post.

In general, the advice from Page One still applies to Slime or Ride-On - don't put it in your tubes and think it will be a panacea against flats.

Ride-On for me and most of my amigos is much better than Slime.

It still makes patching a tube with it a challenge though, but the risk is outweighed by the rewards.

:tab I had a flat this past Saturday that would have been a nightmare with Slime. I picked up a nail in the rear knobby. It was a very short nail, just barely long enough to penetrate the carcass and puncture the tube. I felt it coming out of a corner and pulled over maybe a few hundred yards later. When I removed the tube it was no longer a donut. It had split along its length about half way around the circumference AND had completely come apart at one point. Had there been any Slime in my tube, this would have been a VERY messy operation. As it was, I had it fixed with a new tube in short order and was on my way. I've worked some flats that had Slime and it was a nightmare. If I had to pick between them, I'd go with Ride-On because I think it forms a rubberized coating that stays mostly in place whereas the Slime just stays as a liquid. I don't think it would have prevented my flat in this particular case, but the Ride-On would not have made the same mess as Slime.

Back