• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My son is 11 and is ready to roadrace , getting 2nd thoughts........

Reaction score
I always wanted him to follow in my footsteps , now the time has come and I am getting cold feet......
He has been riding since he was 1 .We practiced every day this week after school and he is now fast.....

NSR 50

watermark.jpg

watermark.jpg

watermark.jpg

Difficult but rewarding. Every time I send my son out on the track,, I'm filled with pride that he wants to do what I do, and scared that he may fall, miss that gap on the 80ft triple, have the motor I built seize at the wrong time and cause him to go down and get tangled with other riders, or some other problem, Those thoughts are fleeting, just parts of a second long, but they are BIG in my mind. I focus on his riding, the sound of the bike, planning what will be done when he is don with the moto, or after the enduro. It's something worse when we are racing enduros or scrambles at the same tome, in different classes. I know he is out there someplace, and have to really focus to keep from being distracted from just riding my ride.

Prep your son well (sounds like you have), prep the bike well, set him loose. The anguish you feel for his safety is fleeting the joy you feel from seeing him ride will last forever.

I understand, seeing my daughter first twist the grip and ride straight into a barb wire fence caused a whole range of emotions in me as I ran that way...mostly of the doubt and regret variety.

Hmmmmmm, motorcycling is indeed dangerous. Have you looked at the stats of injuries in other sports? From my experience having kids do both, the risk is no greater than any other organized sport.

1st of all lets be clear,, it's not a sport unless you can die doing it.

2nd of all life is dangerous, walking home from school, walking to the corner store, riding a bike to the local movie theater, all have risk..Manage the risk... there are bozos every day in school that tempt my son to get high.. go have a few beers at lunch, ect. thus far he has chosen the outlets we have provided him,, he gets high on the track, gets a rush railing a berm, has a blast toping out at a hill climb on a double step up after a tight right hand turn.

Riding on the track,,, road race or dirt, closed course off road is a manageable risk I can except.

im jealous. my kids are 10 and 11. I bought them a ttr110e last year and they both rode it once. They will not touch the thing. I have to ride it around the neighborhood every now and then hoping that someday they will take interest.

Well , he took home 2 2nd place trophies in his first race and no get offs........2 or 3 close calls tho........he had a great time.

Attachments

• Race pics 2010 and lottery 012122.jpg
    Race pics 2010 and lottery 012122.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 316
  • Race pics 2010 and lottery 0072229.jpg
    Race pics 2010 and lottery 0072229.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 302
Bubba Shobert
Kevin Swantz
Collin Edwards
Ben Spies
New Mikey (Vintage Mikeys son)

I have been passed by all the Haden Brothers and Ben Spies on a YSR!:mrgreen:

Yes, yes, yes. way to go. Don't worry, Pop, he will fall, but he'll get up, too.

Larry
VFRrider

Very cool! Looks like he's having fun...that's the most important part.

I raced against Schwantz in his first roadrace ever , Aquafest 1983........

For some reason, that reminded me of the time my dad told me he played tennis against Jimmy Connors in high school. It went like this:

"Wow, Dad! You played against Jimmy Connors?"

"Yes, son."

"Did you beat him?"

"No, son."

:mrgreen:

Very cool! Looks like he's having fun...that's the most important part.

For some reason, that reminded me of the time my dad told me he played tennis against Jimmy Connors in high school. It went like this:

"Wow, Dad! You played against Jimmy Connors?"

"Yes, son."

"Did you beat him?"

"No, son."

:mrgreen:

Pretty much how it happened with me........:doh:

Good job on those 2nd places!

If this is how you've chosen to spend time with your son don't worry about it one bit. Just the fact that ya'll are spending time together is worth the inherent risks. Well known that time is the most valuable thing you can give your kids. If you think he won't cherish every time ya'll loaded up the bikes and headed off then you must not know how many times I've tried to relive the ONE fishing trip my dad took me on before he left.

Which would you regret more?

-the fall that he can pick himself up from
-the falls in life that are harder to dust off from: drug use, lack of motivation, poor schoolwork, never achieving anything or getting to hear you tell him how proud you are

Sounds like you're dodging the big bullets, and nothing is guaranteed. I have to tell my wife constantly that our daughter can't learn how to ride her bicycle if we're not willing to take the chance she'll scratch up her knee. That analogy always works because my wife didn't know how to ride one until I bought her one for the first birthday we were together and taught her. She realized she'd missed out on 20yrs of two wheeled fun due to overprotective parenting.

Way cool, keep up the encouragement and let him watch the videos and comment "his self"

Back