• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

trail riding in southeast texas for small ones

Reaction score
First Name
tommy
Last Name
hughes
Anyone with little ones interested in trail riding, my daughter avery are trail riding within a few hours of beaumont, SHNF, and trying out burkille atv park on 2-5-12, if interested pm me and we can meet up:rider:

I'll be interested for sure - I keep getting delayed, but "soon" we'll have both bikes ready to play on at the same time. Burkville is a little far, but might be worth a camping trip - let us know how it turns out.

I will post up a review of sabine atv park. My brother rides his quads there pretty often but what is fun for quads may not be good for bikes.
:rider::rider:

:tab What I would like to find for right now is a place with a BIG wide open field for the kids to ride around in without the Moose training wheels and nothing to run into. That way they can just focus on controlling the bike until they get comfy with it. Then I would live to get them working on trails where they have to worry about running into stuff but don't have to give as much thought to the actual operation of the bike.

I understand scott, it was tough for me to get her started in my little yard, 0.4 acre with 2100 square foot house and a 40 x 40 shop and dog yard so thats not much left. You maybe able to take them to SHNF and just use the parking area as place, as you are close. When you are ready we will be riding the forest once a month, and somewhere else as well.:rider::rider:

I would be interested in some trail riding with my kids. My son is 10 and rides a TTR 90 and my daughter who is 8 rides an XR50. I have been trying to get to SHNF but seems tough with work and kid activities.

Planning on camp out weekend feb 18,19,20 at SHNF for avery's birthday, probably camp at cagle and ride kelly's pond. I usally work every other weekend, so it will usally fall out along those lines.:rider:

:tab Outlaw Trax has a pretty big open area and also a small MX track for kids (REALLY small jumps and such). They also have a lot of one way trails. However, I am not a member and it is a members only deal. Guests are allowed and have to pay a day use fee, but I don't recall it being too much. Some years back we did a TWT dirt day event there where street riders could come and get some seat time on dirt bikes to see what it was like. Kids were there as well. We ended the day with a nice big cookout. Some folks stayed the night as they have good camping areas. Those of us close went home later. We might be able to do that again if we can find someone that is a member that would take point on hosting it.

Planning on camp out weekend feb 18,19,20 at SHNF for avery's birthday, probably camp at cagle and ride kelly's pond. I usally work every other weekend, so it will usally fall out along those lines.:rider:

Depending on weather and temperature, I could try to work this into the schedule. We would probably just camp right there at Kelly Pond though. I'm not up to loading the bikes more than once per trip out there.

Still planning on camping next weekend? If it doesn't rain much, conditions should be great for riding and for camping as well.

yes, still planning on it, we have got the gear for cool weather camping. as long as the rain holds off and trails stay open. Will be loaded up ready to go. Bikes are ready to go.:rider:

:tab What I would like to find for right now is a place with a BIG wide open field for the kids to ride around in without the Moose training wheels and nothing to run into. That way they can just focus on controlling the bike until they get comfy with it. Then I would live to get them working on trails where they have to worry about running into stuff but don't have to give as much thought to the actual operation of the bike.

I bet if it was only for little kids and small bikes involved many a farmer or rancher would give you access to a few acres of their land for a few hours or more. Just leave the big dirt bikes at home as that would put your request in a different light and probably get you turned away.

_

I am planning on going to burkeville weekend of 3-31-2012, its a kid freindly weekend. No alcohol will be allowed in park. I have pretty much gave up on riding SHNF until maybe the next drought. Would like to have some others on dirt bikes out there with us.:rider:

I would like to get out with the kids (8 and 14 yr old boys) sometime.... I would like to ride the forest also...

We went to the enduro race at skull creek this past sunday.... wow... it was too much for my 8yr old, and my 14yr old had lots of trouble too....

we need to start out a little easier....

Mine are 8 and 11 year old girls starting out, with one under the belt for the 8 year old...:rider:

Change of plans I will try to go this sunday 3-25-2012, going try to buy a bike for hana on saturday and riding gear. :rider:

Change of plans I will try to go this sunday 3-25-2012, going try to buy a bike for hana on saturday and riding gear. :rider:

I live over here in Orange, never been up to Burkeville but I would be interested in bring my son and his four wheeler up there. Have you checked on the conditions? Tuesday night we got 12+ inches of rain through this area and just north of us got even more, alot of flooding in the area including the Sabine river. Post up if you are still planning on going, I might try and make it up there for the day.

Have confirmed about 3 inches of rain, its going to be muddy. kid weekend moved weekend after easter, hidding eggs and such. as such I probably will not be going.

Back