• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Texas Ghost Towns: proposal

This is what's left of Dialville, Is was named after my great grandad Dial.

IM004411.jpg

IM004413.jpg

IM004416.jpg

My buddy Griff and I went on a little (375 mile) ride two Saturdays ago with the intent of riding to a few ghost towns. We did a large loop that took us to 13 ghost towns. We started wat down south at Poe Prairie and went clear up to Spanish Fort. I'll break the trip into several posts. I was on my Strom 1000 and Griff was on his ancient R80. Is was FREAKIN' COLD that day. I kinda felt sorry for Griff (better him than me!), having no wind protection. I was a long day in the saddle but we found a few pretty fun roads in the process of hunting for ghosts and it was a really fun day. We were both pretty tired after 375 miles.

Poe Prairie, TX
The first stop was Poe Praire. There's nothing left of Poe Praire except the cemetary. Throught the day, we found this to be the case more often than not.
162.jpg

At this first stop was when I discovered that, although I brought my camera, I left the memory card AND the battery at home.
164.jpg

Griff was left to be our sole photographer for the trip.
We found a whole bunch of these "Woodmen of the World" memorials. they're pretty cool looking.
175.jpg

Toto, TX
Toto looked a lot like Poe Praire. Nothing but the cemetary left, execpt there is still a church here, too.
168.jpg

Apparently, they prefer that you let someone know before you plant someone here.
169.jpg

More of the "Woodmen" markers.
171.jpg

173.jpg

The only sign of life in Toto.
179.jpg

They were very friendly. I think they were disappointed that I didn't bring food.
181.jpg

Cartersville, TX
Third stop was Cartersville. This one was pay dirt! We rode right by it the first time and almost missed it on the back track. This is the kind of ghost town that's actually fun to check out. there isn't much there, but there is a lot of information posted.

All that's left is a small house, the meetin' hall, and an outhouse.
201.jpg

187.jpg

185.jpg

203.jpg

189.jpg

205.jpg

191.jpg

The outhouse still works. ;-)
207.jpg

And here's Main Street!
201.jpg

195.jpg

193.jpg

Last guy in the county to be killed by Indians... a somewhat dubious honor.
209.jpg

More to come later.

I was waiting for your stories and photos!!! :trust:

Would you post them each as their own thread with the name in the title? That way we can all find them easier than searching through this thread.

Can't wait to read about your adventures! I hope you had fun (it's catching..... ;-) )

I was waiting for your stories and photos!!! :trust:

Would you post them each as their own thread with the name in the title? That way we can all find them easier than searching through this thread.

Can't wait to read about your adventures! I hope you had fun (it's catching..... ;-) )

Sure, I can post them separately. I'm still working on the Texas Ghost Town map.

You make me want to buy a DS... must resist... the need for assimilation is strong... Great info, thanks for the reports and pics!
No need to resist. You won't regret it :trust:

Sure, I can post them separately. I'm still working on the Texas Ghost Town map.
I just copied and pasted in my individual town reports in a new thread with the town name.

I have a few to do, too. I really like your ghost town map idea!!!

So what's the deal here. Are we just starting a bunch of individual threads with the GT name in them?

EDIT: Nevermind, I did a search and just realized the section is now Ghost Towns. I need a nap.

Back